Electrical Problem! (Read 120 times)
colinnoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Electrical Problem!
03/09/11 at 12:51:18

Howdy Guys,

I just got my savage a couple of months ago,  I accidentally left it out uncovered in the rain a couple nights ago and have a newfound electrical problem.

So heres the deal.  It used to run fine.  A couple days ago in the morning, it bumped one time before starting.  Then I rode it to school and it was dead.  So I played around with it for a while but failed to get it to go.  So I went home and got my jumper cables and jumped it.  

IT ran fine.  I charged it, and then it started up fine the next morning(yesterday).  I took it off charger to see if it would hold charge but this morning it was dead.  So I charged it for a while, still dead
I just jumped it, but once I disconnected the jumper cables it died after idling for ~10 seconds.

Now I've been charging it now, but it is still dead.

My thoughts (possible garbage warning):  The battery is new, but is still a possible source for the problem.  Here's the interesting part and why I think it is not the battery.

With the key in the off position, my battery tender battery charger ( as well as my volt-meter) read the battery as present and fully charged.  When I turn the key to run or to park the bike immediately goes totally dead.  And!  the battery charger thinks there is no battery present.

It could be the battery, but I doubt it.  Unfortunately I am not sure how to load-test a battery without using the motorcycle as the load...

I imagine there is a slow voltage leak of some kind, but I am not sure if this is right.  Any ideas?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Electrical Problem!
Reply #1 - 03/09/11 at 14:02:48

Sounds like you have a water filled connector somewhere.
The 2 big ones on either side of the head tube would be my prime suspect.  But take the tank off and pop each one.  get them all dry.

Next check the grounds, especially the engine ground behind the oil level window.

check the battery, terminals, etc.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 03/11/11 at 08:14:35

"Battery is new" ....  but what brand or where did you get it?

I had a Wally mart (Chinese) battery that lasted about 10 months and developed a bad cell.   With no load it read fine.  Put a load on it and it went BLAH.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
colinnoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/14/11 at 22:49:41

I picked up the battery from Batteries Plus ( a specialty store in TX)... Could I try starting a small car from the battery to see if it is good?

I'm going to mess with all the connector;s on Wednesday, I'll post to let you guys know any solution/problems I find

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/15/11 at 07:34:20

Check grounds, check terminal connections, hit th horn, if its weak ( well,, you know,, weaker than the anemic little horn IS even with a good battery), look at the headlight at nite. yellow or white lite?
Heck, put a charger on it & avoid some guesswork?? A charger w/o a  meter is useless for figuring things out. Dont get one that just has a lite.
You may want to pull the plug & make sure everything spins  nicely. Blow the dirt & crap out of the plug area first. Avoid letting it fall in the cylinder.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
colinnoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/17/11 at 13:26:41

Cleaned all connections yesterday at home,  still wouldn't fire....

Kept working, still nothing,  then as soon as I hooked up just the positive for a jump, it worked.  

Why?  I realized that I had a loose + at the battery from this.  Putting the cable on added some conductivity from the head of the battery to the end of the + lead out.  A couple of twists with a wrench and she was good as new.  

At least it was easy and now all my connections are clean...

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #6 - 03/17/11 at 14:30:24

its always the small overlooked things that come back and bite you in the ass!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:28:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical Problem!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.