Heat wrap (Read 886 times)
psychosavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Heat wrap
03/09/11 at 08:12:41

I am a new owner of a 1987 savage 652 and was wondering if putting heat wrap on the exhaust would lead to any problems??  Please help

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Re: Heat wrap
Reply #1 - 03/09/11 at 09:55:27

Not to my knowledge.  Should be good to go!

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #2 - 03/09/11 at 10:13:28

just did my 96 header from the tip to tip with the DEI titanium LR - no seal coat needed - did the wet wrap took all of 15 minutes and makes the pipe look good and also dimenishes some of the popping and crackling in the exhaust.....I love it.

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/dei-cycle/motorcycle-exhaus...

« Last Edit: 03/09/11 at 12:19:53 by weracerc »  

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/09/11 at 10:44:27

Depending on the wrap, most notable, it will turn the chrome blue.  So going w/o wrap later will require blue job or other measures.

Next on the list, some wrap will collect moisture causing the header to rust.

WWW   IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #4 - 03/09/11 at 11:14:49

If you go ahead and do the wrap remember to wet the wrap first before you start doing your job. this will make the wrap even tighter once it dries. Also start from the end of the header and work your way to the beginning of the header. This will make the overlaps face the opposite direction of the wind so you wont get debris, air pockets etc... in it.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 03/09/11 at 12:10:05

I sprayed hi temp paint after wrapping mine, after a while the wrap looks dirty, I just take the pipe off and spray it again.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 03/09/11 at 19:05:18

Why are so many folks doing this exhaust wrap thing?

The only advantages I can see would be that the exhaust gasses would stay a little hotter and therefore be less viscous as they pass through the rest of the system, and that the tinny sound of a thin metal header might be dampened a bit.

It would seem on a header as short as on an LS650 (which is not tuned for max power and exhaust flow), the trapped heat would make very little diff.  On a car, it might keep some heat out of the engine compartment, but that is obviously not applicable here.

The disadvantages seem to be more obvious,... more periodic maintenance to keep the wrap clean and tight,... premature corrosion of the header itself,.... it costs some,.... and it is ugly.

What am I missing here?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/10/11 at 03:50:09

ugly is in the eye of the beholder. As far as corrosion...its easy to paint the header with high temp paint before you wrap it.

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/10/11 at 04:30:13

BurnPgh wrote on 03/10/11 at 03:50:09:
ugly is in the eye of the beholder. As far as corrosion...its easy to paint the header with high temp paint before you wrap it.

I agree, what one person thinks is ugly, another may think looks nice. I put wrap around mine a while ago. I used the titanium color and like that way it looks. I do not expect any significant performance gains, so basically I did it for looks only. I am also doing the RYCA kit- and clearly exhaust wrap is a style that fits the cafe bike.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 03/10/11 at 04:57:15

Yes, ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

My initial assessment seems to be correct.   The poser mindset is at work here in that the wrap is done for cosmetics, not for performance.

The wrap, done for these reasons, conflicts with the basic reason for existence of the CS-1.  The Cafe Racer concept is about performance.  The wrap does nothing for performance; it merely changes the appearance with a visual statement: the owner likes to gorp up the bike with things that add weight, cost, corrosion, maintenance, and complication,..... all for the sake of cosmetics.  The poser mindset.  

That said, I have no problem at all what anyone wants to do with their bike.  If someone wants to add foxtails, exhaust wrap, fishtail mufflers, and under-the-frame-purple-fluorescent lights to his "cafe racer," it makes no never mind to me.  It's just hard for me to blend in the gorp with the owner's interpretation of the cafe racer look.

BTW, putting heat resistant paint under the wrap will do nothing to forestall corrosion.  In fact, it might speed it up.

Please,... use all the wrap you want.  The wrapmakers will be happy.  More jobs, more revenue,... help the economy recover.  Make your bike look like,.... well,... a bike with exhaust wrap.

Just don't labor under any misconceptions about how it adds to performance, let alone a performance image true to the cafe racer concept.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #10 - 03/10/11 at 05:18:35

On mine,my exhaust already is rusted bad.So bad it was pitted,so why not use it.AND it'll protect legs and ankles from some nice burns.
If you don't like it,don't use it....easy.Btw mine's a bobber so jump on the"rag on bobbers"bandwagon too.
So what is a poser???????Somebody that rides a Harley?Got one.Rides a crotch rocket?Got one of those too.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - 03/10/11 at 05:32:49

Demin wrote on 03/10/11 at 05:18:35:
So what is a poser???????

My definition is someone whose main reason for being into something (whatever it is) is so other people will think he's cool.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 03/10/11 at 05:38:23

Ah!! Demin! You bring up a good point for an exhaust wrap advantage,... fewer leg burns.  

I can see how with some types of exhaust mods, or leg/foot placement mods, there might be some leg-flesh perilously close to the pipe.  The wrap might reduce the damage from touching a glowing exhaust pipe.  

If used underneath a heat shield, it would probably lessen the amount of heat transferred to the shield as well.

Also, I have nothing against bobbers or crotch rockets.  That is one of the beautiful things about this hobby.  Like women or music, there are many many different types, and different guys "can be enthused" in any way they want.  If you like chubby girls who drive 8' high pickups and are into George Jones and Dolly Parton,.. that's fine with me.  If you are in love with a Ph.D. who has every Stevie Ray Vaughan CD and spends her spare time restoring a 1928 4cyl Henderson Deluxe, that's fine with me.  

My woman of 43 years has a nice chest, but she likes 1970's top forty, and she loves her Suzuki Grand Vitara.   Roll Eyes

Anyway, my opinions are just that,... mine,... and opinions.  I care not one whit about your opinions of my opinions.  Makes for interesting conversation, though, eh?

How about a cafe rocket bobber?   (with a wrapped exhaust of course!)

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 03/10/11 at 05:49:48

MotoBuddha wrote on 03/10/11 at 05:32:49:
Demin wrote on 03/10/11 at 05:18:35:
So what is a poser???????

My definition is someone whose main reason for being into something (whatever it is) is so other people will think he's cool.

MotoBuddha, I agree.  I was standing the Buell test ride line at Daytona a few years ago when in the conversation behind me I overheard this statement:  "Posers are people who think everyone will look at them and think they are cool."  He moaned about costumes (required uniforms like denim and studded black leather, etc.), obscenely loud exhaust systems, hundreds of pounds of bling, refusal to wave back to other-than-harley riders, and so on.  His interpretation was that posers are the opposite of real motorcyclists.

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/10/11 at 06:08:20

Gyrobob wrote on 03/10/11 at 04:57:15:
Yes, ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

My initial assessment seems to be correct.   The poser mindset is at work here in that the wrap is done for cosmetics, not for performance.

The wrap, done for these reasons, conflicts with the basic reason for existence of the CS-1.  The Cafe Racer concept is about performance.  The wrap does nothing for performance; it merely changes the appearance with a visual statement: the owner likes to gorp up the bike with things that add weight, cost, corrosion, maintenance, and complication,..... all for the sake of cosmetics.  The poser mindset.  

That said, I have no problem at all what anyone wants to do with their bike.  If someone wants to add foxtails, exhaust wrap, fishtail mufflers, and under-the-frame-purple-fluorescent lights to his "cafe racer," it makes no never mind to me.  It's just hard for me to blend in the gorp with the owner's interpretation of the cafe racer look.

BTW, putting heat resistant paint under the wrap will do nothing to forestall corrosion.  In fact, it might speed it up.

Please,... use all the wrap you want.  The wrapmakers will be happy.  More jobs, more revenue,... help the economy recover.  Make your bike look like,.... well,... a bike with exhaust wrap.

Just don't labor under any misconceptions about how it adds to performance, let alone a performance image true to the cafe racer concept.

call me a poser if you want. Doesn't bother me. Seeing as there will be hundreds of these RYCA kits around, is it wrong to make yours unique. Look at Buddha's post- he is polishing every part of his to make is nice and shiney. I am spending money on mine to make it dull and blacked-out. Its called being an individual and if you think that makes me a poser, then you are mistaken.

By the way, do a search on yahoo images for cafe racer and I guarantee you will see tons and tons of cafe bikes with exhaust wrap on them.

I know that wrap isn't going to increase performance. Frankly, nothing you do to the savage will increase performance to make it even close to a performance beast.

Look at any post on here and you will see looks are very important.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:19:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Heat wrap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.