Heat wrap (Read 886 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Re: Heat wrap
Reply #30 - 03/11/11 at 13:50:44

my bike is like one of my children or pets - they all live in a climate controlled invironment - because I love them all.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #31 - 03/15/11 at 10:39:23

Just finished doing mine. I like how it looks. My header looked bad so I went and wrap the darn thing till I open the exhaust port and get the Raask.

Like my working area??? Is a parking deck with no lights. The exhaust is not currently on the bike since I'm waiting for a Barnett clutch but it looks nice. Signal lights are going to be taken away. I only ride in the city and no highway so I'm praying that the cops won't give me any trouble until I get the light that are mounted on the grips.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #32 - 03/16/11 at 18:43:16

I know that I wrapped the header and put whitewalls on if for performance. I also put a loud exhaust on it for "safety".  Grin

Do what makes you happy.

Ps. jandaso, that looks really nice. you'll appreciate not burning your arms/legs so much and save some money on shoelaces.  Roll Eyes

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #33 - 04/27/11 at 09:51:18

I disagree that exhaust header wrap serves no purpose other than to 'pose'. I'm doing a Ryca conversion and I'm wrapping my header.

To what purposes?
  • The stock heat shield will be removed. Wrap will protect my leg from getting burned.
  • My 15 year-old header is rusted and scratched. Where the heat shield mounted are deep corrosion patterns. My attempts to clean-up the pipe have not worked.
  • I've read reports of high-temperature paint not staying put. For the same cost as high-temp primer and paint I can buy wrap.
  • There may be some performance gain from having exhaust gas exit at higher temperature.

Even if I had no reasons apart from liking the look, I would do it. Just who wrote the rule book on what a cafe racer (or, for that matter, any other style of bike) should be?

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #34 - 04/27/11 at 11:44:06

BuckRYCA wrote on 04/27/11 at 09:51:18:
Even if I had no reasons apart from liking the look, I would do it. Just who wrote the rule book on what a cafe racer (or, for that matter, any other style of bike) should be?

I hate to be a smartass, but wikipedia wrote the book  Wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafe_racer#Typical_configuration

That being said. It is your bike. Do what you want with it. Who am I to say what looks good to you or what you should do with your own property?

It is far more important to have a bike that gets ridden than to have a bike that "looks" a certain way. I'm looking at you, harley riders with 20 year old "pristine" bikes with only a few thousand miles  Angry

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #35 - 04/27/11 at 14:25:44

[quote author=6764757771647D6675607167140 link=1299687162/30#34 date=1303929846]BuckRYCA wrote on 04/27/11 at 09:51:18:
I'm looking at you, harley riders with 20 year old "pristine" bikes with only a few thousand miles  Angry

$50,000 and 5,000 miles doesn't make you a biker...

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
topgunz1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #36 - 04/27/11 at 22:12:41

Ryca kit reuses your stock header? Guess I gotta wrap mine too cause it looks ROUGH.

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #37 - 04/30/11 at 11:27:23

Yes, the Ryca kit supplies a new muffler (of sorts), a kick-out connector pipe, and a muffler clamp. The header pipe is re-used and a cut off is required to accept the connector.  I believe the muffler is an EMGO reverse cone megaphone. The 'Motorcyclist Magazine' reviewer called it almost obnoxiously loud. I've read that the muffler packing is minimal in this unit, so it may be possible to mellow it out with something like Moose Racing exhaust packing.

« Last Edit: 04/30/11 at 15:24:48 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
dekuji63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 05/01/11 at 13:46:28

I wonder if I can just wrap my legs with this stuff.  That cylinder puts out some heat when it gets to be 80º or so out here!  Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 05/01/11 at 14:08:18

ride faster, that's what I do.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #40 - 05/01/11 at 17:03:54

I hate when all my friends get testy on here and go on and on, so I will end this discussion with the plain, unvarnished truth: Use Rotella T Dino oil 15w40 and fill it till you can see it in the sightglass with the bike on the stand. The Rotella runs very cool, eleminating heat problems.  Don't bother to thank me. It's just what I do.  Roll Eyes

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #41 - 05/02/11 at 12:47:49

Oh lord...here we go

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home