babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Heat wrap
Reply #15 - 03/10/11 at 07:24:40

To me, the fact that we can personalize this bike in our own way is the whole beauty of it.  But a thumper it remains!  Some other bikes get modified so much, you can't tell what it is.  And that's all fine and good.  But the heart of our little beast is still intact.  

I say do what you want with your own bike.  Don't criticize others for whatever they choose to do, unless they ask for your opinion.  (even then, do it with tact)  

Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one!  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 03/10/11 at 07:57:57

sbaugz stated:  call me a poser if you want. Doesn't bother me. Seeing as there will be hundreds of these RYCA kits around, is it wrong to make yours unique. Look at Buddha's post- he is polishing every part of his to make is nice and shiney. I am spending money on mine to make it dull and blacked-out. Its called being an individual and if you think that makes me a poser, then you are mistaken.

My my, we do get our feathers ruffled easily, eh?  Ease up.  This is fun stuff, not an argument.

You make some invalid assumptions.  I never said we should all look the same.  That is something more likely to be spewed from the mouth of a harley poser,... observe how most of them feel they must wear an appropriate costume.

I had considered making mine all blacked out as well.  I think, though, I'll go more for making my CS-1 resemble what I lusted over when I was a kid,... the cafe racers based on BSA Gold Stars and Velocettes.  

My first new bike was a Norton Atlas 750.  It had Avon Speedmaster tires, one of the "true" performance setups in those days.  I think I'll spend the extra coin and get a set of those for mine, just to make it more period correct,.... for me,... not for mythical poser-lookers.

I'm even searching around for a 4-leading shoe front brake!!  I know the lightweight and tidy LS650 brake works better, but when I was 20, we ooood and ahhhhd over 4LS brakes,... so it would please ME to set up my CS-1 that way.

Anyway, don't get your panties in a wad accusing me of things I didn't do.  You said I said you were a poser if you wanted to use the exhaust wrap thingy.  Not true.  You are a poser if you crave having folks look at you because you did something cosmetic that you think will impress them so you can delude yourself into thinking they think you are cool.  That's the opposite of building something cool because you want it that way.

I want my bike to be different.  For me.  I want yours to be different, too.  Just because we want our bikes to not be the same as everyone else's does not make either one of us posers.

Until convinced otherwise, though, I have difficulty warming up to the idea of putting clothing on an exhaust header.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #17 - 03/10/11 at 08:17:57

I like the looks of wrapped exhaust headers because I like the "Old Skool" look ... whether or not it's "trendy" makes no diff to me ... and neither does the fact that someone else may or may not like it. As with anything that tickles my taste buds, if I like it I like ...

A nice lookin' redheaded or asian gal wearing glasses (gals who wear glasses are SEXY), a motorcycle tee and jeans and Riding a Bobber while blasting Steve Earle tunes tickles my taste buds! LOL!!

Here's a pic of a Cafe Bike with wrapped exhausts ... looks alright by me!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
psychosavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #18 - 03/10/11 at 09:36:26

So i know that if i add heat wrap to my bike that it WILL NOT make my bike a beast and i don't give a flying flip who if anyone likes the way it will look but I DO! and that's what really matters about customizing your bike is making it look or perform like you want it to. when you get down to it isn't that why people trick out there bikes because that's what they want?! Cool Thank you all for the kind words and to those who are haters forget you!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 03/10/11 at 09:44:21

psychosavage wrote on 03/10/11 at 09:36:26:
So i know that if i add heat wrap to my bike that it WILL NOT make my bike a beast and i don't give a flying flip who if anyone likes the way it will look but I DO! and that's what really matters about customizing your bike is making it look or perform like you want it to. when you get down to it isn't that why people trick out there bikes because that's what they want?! Cool Thank you all for the kind words and to those who are haters forget you!

Very well put!

SmileySmiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: 03/10/11 at 13:40:14 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #20 - 03/10/11 at 09:53:57

I wrapped mine a long time ago and I'd do it again. I like it and that's what counts. And I'm not worried about the pipe underneath. I'll be long dead before that thing rots out.

Harley Guy: (looking at my Savage) Boy that bike sure is fugly!

Rogue: Yeah, but you're still frickin looking at it, ain't you?!    Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #21 - 03/10/11 at 10:39:45

Personally, (and really isn't that all that matters?) I'm thinking about wrapping my header just so that I don't have to look at the blueing.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 03/10/11 at 11:16:33

I was thinking of wrapping so I'd quit burning shoe laces.   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 03/10/11 at 13:26:10

Greenmonster:  Personally, (and really isn't that all that matters?) I'm thinking about wrapping my header just so that I don't have to look at the blueing.

Verslagen1:  I was thinking of wrapping so I'd quit burning shoe laces.

Now HERE are, at last, a couple of functional reasons for a header sweater!! (hedderswedder?)

IP Logged
04 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/10/11 at 13:33:55

I burned the back of my ankle last season pretty bad, heat wrap probably would have reduced that burn greatly...yes I had shorts on but that was my 'work clothes' attire.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 03/10/11 at 21:16:18

If insulation could be shoved between the header and outer shell...
would you be interested?

WWW   IP Logged
BIGDADDYMC
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

GEORGETOWN, KY
Reply #26 - 03/11/11 at 02:23:49

psychosavage wrote on 03/10/11 at 09:36:26:

Yes very nicely put
Smiley
and i too and tired of looking at the blue pipe so i think i will wrap mine also plus maybe i will not burn my boot on the pipe anymore, it leaves a nastly little mark on the pipe and on my boot.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #27 - 03/11/11 at 07:29:22

exactly - i hated looking at the discolored pipe mainly, melting my hi-viz chaps secondly, burning skin potential thirdly and pick up a tad of peformance (less snap crackle and pop from the exhaust) lastly.......i love mine......rust if it does not get wet then it cant hold moisture and cause rust - i only ride on dry weather days so i am not worried about any negative potential long term with the wrap.....now if i had to seal coat it or do other maintenance to it i would probably not be as enthusiastic about it.....being titanium LR it does not require seal coating and it will not discolor - it is the color of dirt already! - i would not be a fan of white (shows dirt) or black (fades).....tan maybe but the titanium LR is just down right cool looking IMO which is the only O that matters, right?

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #28 - 03/11/11 at 12:48:48

weracerc wrote on 03/11/11 at 07:29:22:
....rust if it does not get wet then it cant hold moisture and cause rust - i only ride on dry weather days so i am not worried about any negative potential long term with the wrap..

Getting the hedderswedder wet while riding around would cause very little corrosion because any moisture will steam off and dry out almost immediately.  Any moisture from wet streets probably never even touches the pipe.

The corrosion problem takes place when the motor is NOT running.  (cold)    It is a long term problem caused by the fabric picking up moisture (condensation) from a piece of metal (the header) getting slightly warmer and colder as the ambient temp and humidity changes.  The fabric holds the condensation against the metal for relatively long periods of time causing a tiny bit of corrosion each time.  Lots of tiny bits adds up to a significant amount over time.

To prove this, do a science project.  Go find a plain steel nail,.. not galvanized or otherwise coated.  Wrap one layer of cotton shoelace around maybe half of the nail and tie it off so that half of the nail has cloth on it and half is exposed.  Set it somewhere near where you park your bike, and come back in a few months and check it out.  

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #29 - 03/11/11 at 13:48:30

So if you live in an area where the temps fluxuate,
will you have to rewrap each year, to keep the
chances of rust developing?
Like here it can be 40 in the day, 20's at night
and then in the 50's the next day.