Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How long do these bikes usually last? (Read 379 times)
kevin r.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
How long do these bikes usually last?
03/07/11 at 16:25:55

I know it depends on how well it was maintained and whatnot but how long should I expect my bike to last? Mine currently has 50k on it and it still sounds great. I will look at the cam chain tensioner during my next oil change.

Thanks guys!

Kevin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: How long do these bikes usually last?
Reply #1 - 03/07/11 at 16:51:09

If you don't let it run dirty or plum out of oil - and take care of the dang
cam chain business who knows - but what does last last really mean?
If I had to replace the clutch discs or bore/re-ring it and keep on going would it still be "lasting"?

IP Logged
kevin r.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 03/07/11 at 17:03:28

I consider that inevitable work at some point. If the motor seizes is when would say it's dead haha small parts can always be replaced.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/07/11 at 17:26:06

i dont think anyone's motor has ever seized. Some have been run dry on oil and ruined cam journals and rocker arms. Some have neglected (at 50k you way way way way overdue) the cam chain tensioner issue and dropped valves essentially destroying the top end. Other than those two things i dont know that any other BIG failure has occured. Jet it correctly, keep the cam chain in check, keep the oil full and as long as you dont go poking around too deep you should be good for a long time.

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #4 - 03/07/11 at 17:43:34

Everything has an expected life span.  Obviously, if you replace parts when they wear out (Which I am committed to doing ), the bike will last forever.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 03/07/11 at 18:32:13

Just my opinion. If you pay $500 for a bike and run it four years or say, 20,000 miles, I'd say it lasted long enough. But if you just love it and want to keep it going no matter what it takes, then I'd say that's long enough. To answer your question, I don't know.  Undecided

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 03/07/11 at 20:02:53

My  '96 bagger has over 40,000 miles on it. On the German site that went down years ago, one San diego commuter ran close to 100,000 before the came chain failed. Fixed it and his wife was driving it that was probably about the time this board started. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #7 - 03/07/11 at 20:46:04

I don't know from an engineering aspect, but I'm planning on running mine 'til the fenders plumb fall off! ...or my son talks me out of it when I can't ride anymore!  Wink These thumpers got a good heart, too bad Suzuki doesn't invest more in the line!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
kevin r.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 03/08/11 at 15:37:30

I bought the bike with 50k on it. Haven't ridden it much yet but I plan on checking the tensioner and chain when I change the oil before I actually put this thang on the road.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - 03/08/11 at 16:30:35

kevin r. wrote on 03/07/11 at 16:25:55:
I will look at the cam chain tensioner during my next oil change.

Or, instead of spending the money to try to get a bit more out of a chain that has stretched out of spec (and is putting the cam slightly out of proper timing in the process) I think it's better to get a new chain. Sure, it's a little more work to replace the chain than installing a modded tensioner, but the tensioner doesn't fix the underlying problem. What the modded tensioner is good for is keeping the plunger from popping out when you've neglected the chain for a long time and it has stretched too much. It won't keep the chain from stretching, though. So once the plunger reaches its limit yet the chain keeps stretching, it will eventually get long enough to start causing serious timing problems. It might even start skipping gear teeth, then it's, "Say hello to Senior Piston, Mr. Cam."

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/08/11 at 18:13:23

MotoBuddha wrote on 03/08/11 at 16:30:35:

Or, instead of spending the money to try to get a bit more out of a chain that has stretched out of spec (and is putting the cam slightly out of proper timing in the process) I think it's better to get a new chain. Sure, it's a little more work to replace the chain than installing a modded tensioner, but the tensioner doesn't fix the underlying problem. What the modded tensioner is good for is keeping the plunger from popping out when you've neglected the chain for a long time and it has stretched too much. It won't keep the chain from stretching, though. So once the plunger reaches its limit yet the chain keeps stretching, it will eventually get long enough to start causing serious timing problems. It might even start skipping gear teeth, then it's, "Say hello to Senior Piston, Mr. Cam."

I agree up to here.

So once the plunger reaches its limit yet the chain keeps stretching, it will eventually get long enough to start causing serious timing problems.

The mod has been in use for enough miles to show this to not be a concern, IMO. Timing Is somewhat retarded & the resultant engine performance conditions will be there, but not so bad as t cause people to whine about lost performance. IF someone noticed such a power loss & decided to not address the cam chain, then that person shouldnt have done the mod.

It might even start skipping gear teeth, then it's, "Say hello to Senior Piston, Mr. Cam." [/quote]

The chain pitch isnt so changed as to cause it to jump a tooth, as long as tension is kept on the chain & thats what the mod does, is keep tension on the chain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 03/08/11 at 19:16:32

MotoBuddha wrote on 03/08/11 at 16:30:35:

1st, why are you pushing him in a direction he hasn't yet even thought of?  Checking the tensioner every so often is good practice.

2nd, most often when the plunger is about to fall out, the chain is still well within spec.

3rd, I have 2 bikes, 1 with 46k on it, another with 40k on it.  Both standard stock chains from the factory as far as I know.  Each are probably close to 3/4 of max allowed stretch.  No timing issues.  Sure they aren't spring chickens any more, but they still get me there.

4th, As long as the plunger holds the rear guide in place, there is enough tension on the chain to keep the teeth engaged with the sprockets.  I tried best I could to pull the chain thru with the plunger collapsed, couldn't do it.  In fact, if the chain gets to the point of tip to tip contact, it will jam on the case.  Of course that was with a chain that was half stretched.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #12 - 03/09/11 at 05:26:24

Okay, so I guess I exaggerated the possible negative effects.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 03/09/11 at 16:18:25

mmmmmmm could beeee,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 03/09/11 at 16:23:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/09/11 at 16:18:25:
mmmmmmm could beeee,,,  

...but, if the unmodded plunger pops out,...
Kerboom!... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:29:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How long do these bikes usually last?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.