Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Harbor Freight Torque wrench (Read 154 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Harbor Freight Torque wrench
03/07/11 at 15:39:11

My advice: spend a few extra dollars and get one somewhere else. One that actually works. I got the 3/8 5-80 foot pound model. (They didn't have an inch pound or a newtonmeter one) As I was tightening the side cover...in stages...I wasn't really feeling a click. I am sure I have overtightened the bolts. Glad I didn't snap any off while waiting for the stupid thing to click. What's my best bet now....pull the dam thing off again and buy a real torque wrench, or leave it as is and hope it don't leak? (They're all good and tight, that's for sure)

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Re: Harbor Freight Torque wrench
Reply #1 - 03/07/11 at 16:27:49

I put mine on recently without a torque wrench. I am sure I probably overtightened too. My plan is to leave it for now and replace if it leaks.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 03/07/11 at 16:56:55

There's several in the box - from snap-ons to old craftmans to newer china made stuff - I've sure been know to test them against each other with a bolt and a couple nuts before going at something critical -
as even a snap-on can screw up.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 03/08/11 at 00:09:57

I bought a grinder from them recently and one of the shafts was missing a bolt to hold the wheel on. I thought no big deal. No metric or standard bolt would fit it. It was made special just for that shaft. I would have had to order it and it could have taken months. I just made them give me my money back.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/08/11 at 10:18:06

Ive swapped stuff for new stuff & Ive gottn refunds when their stuff was crappy. Ill buy things there, but I wouldnt want a torque wrench from there. A beam style, yea, but not  Clicker. You an get a 3/8 beam from Sears for 30 bucks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 03/08/11 at 13:00:58

I get emails from Harbor Freight and it appears they are having a huge Tent Sale this coming weekend.  I won't swear if its my area, or all areas.  Can't really determine from the email or their website.  But it said most items 80% off!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 03/09/11 at 08:11:28

Ya we got there here too. 80% off--what the stuff should really cost to begin with.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/09/11 at 14:12:56

if you are concerned with the accuracy of your torque wrench,
It's very easy to check, a fish scale, a ruler and a calculator.
measure the distance from the center of the drive to the indicator on the handle.  Divide the torque requirement by that number.  Pulling at a right angle to the handle, use the fish scale to apply the calculated force at the mark in the handle to torque something.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Harbor Freight Torque wrench OT now
Reply #8 - 03/09/11 at 16:22:56

Just bought the HF 4 drawer roll around cart for $99. with a coupon from the one of the current cycle magazines. Smooth full full drawers and HD construction. IMHO a great deal and way to organize and secure your motorcycle tools. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:29:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harbor Freight Torque wrench

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.