Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Replacement Rear Tire
03/06/11 at 21:17:49

Since it looks like I'll be down shortly with the new paint job anyway, I'm probably gonna pry on the wallet and replace the rear tire and do a few extras at the same time. I tried searching for the old threads on replacement tire opinions, but I guess its been long enough that they disappeared. Admitting to a short memory, assuming there could be some new info out there, and for the sake of all the newbees around, I'll ask for opinions again. My apologies to the board veterans if this is old hat, but for the rest of us it's still "spring training"!

What's the best replacement tire for the Savage? I know I only got 9K out of the original Dunlop, and as the Dragonriders will attest, I'm a far cry from the hardest rider out there. (But I'm working on it, and I hope to be back next year!) As always any opinions are appreciated!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Replacement Rear Tire
Reply #1 - 03/06/11 at 21:29:00

9 to 10k is about what I got too.
If you want a 20k tire, you have to go with Metzler.

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 03/06/11 at 21:52:21

Southpaw wrote on 03/06/11 at 21:17:49:
I know I only got 9K out of the original Dunlop

If it had a Dunlop on it and only 9k on the bike, that's at least the 2nd tire already. Stock are IRCs, but I think you already knew that.

I replaced my stock IRCs with Shinkos at around 6k and haven't really been able to put too many miles on it, but I'm much more pleased with the Shinkos than the IRCs.

I think tires are a personal opinion and you should go with what you think is right for the type of riding you plan on doing.

Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 03/07/11 at 01:30:53

Southpaw, i replaced my rear after a blowout with a Duro. Local harley shop sells more of them then any other tire. I liked the looks of the tread and so far have liked the way its wore and rode. Grips well and seems to be wearing well though ive only put abut 3500 miles on mine so far.
Price was right to, about 80 bucks for tire and mount. Ill be putting a duro on the front here before to long as well.
Ive got about 1 1/2 miles of gravel to get to the blacktop and i ride pretty hard to.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 03/07/11 at 05:14:30

I have a Metezler 880 on front ($118) and Dunlop K555 ($94) on the rear. Metz Tubes ($15) Happy with both. $40 per tire installation. Local bike shop had Metz in stock . Ordered the Dunlop which took three days.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #5 - 03/07/11 at 06:00:39

i agree 9000 -10,000 miles is quite good,  about the most you can expect from most tires.
i got 3000 on the stock irc, 7000 on a kenda challenger and 5000+ with quite a ways to go on another kenda challenger now.  I don't remember exactly what i paid - one was from ebay and one from bike bandit - i think they were around $60.  

you can find a lot more tires in 140/90 vs. 140/80 and they fit fine. if it says tubeless, put your tube back in just in case!   Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 03/07/11 at 06:30:30

Perelli's front & rear. You have to go with a taller tire on the back but I like 'em and it corrected my speedo error...con't know why, it just did. I also got them on sale which was a bonus which paid for mounting and wheel true.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 03/07/11 at 16:58:54

ME880's or DIE on all the bikes   Smiley

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #8 - 03/07/11 at 17:40:40

I have a little over 5,000 on the Metzler 880s and they look about the same as when I put them on the bike.  You do have to take a little care with the Metzlers, because the want to be run at 40 psi, which is higher than most tires call for.  If you ride them at the lower pressures, the handling suffers.  I don't know about the wear.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 03/07/11 at 18:47:58

gerald, It just shows how different we all are. Some think Metzeler is too expensive. Some run different pressure because of riding style, comfort, weight, etc...I run 30 up front in Metz--32 rear Dunlop K555. I actually think 40 pounds is dangerous. I am going with Metz on rear next time, but I do like the Dunlop. And I wonder about the Michelins. anybody?   Boofer  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #10 - 03/07/11 at 19:15:44

I run 40 in the Metzlers because that is what the company recommends for our bikes.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #11 - 03/07/11 at 19:48:21

I have about 8-9000 miles on the Metzler rear tire and it still has plenty of tread left. I found that my bike handles better if I keep the air pressure in back tire at 40psi, anything less than 38 and the bike gets squirrelly in slow turns.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #12 - 03/07/11 at 20:31:30

EJID, You caught me in a mental lapse. I am still running IRCs. I was supposed to get the Dunlap on the back when I bought it @3800 miles but the owner had just put an IRC on "because you should never run mismatched tires on a bike - too dangerous"  Roll Eyes
Runwyrlph, I've had mixed reviews from friends on the Kendra brand on wet roads. Two riders I know say the trade-off for the longer life is a tendency to fishtail after a rain due, they think, to a harder rubber. Could just be their riding style, they like to hammer! Have you noticed any difference in road manners since you changed? I hadn't considered a Duro as, until now, I didn't know anyone who ran them.
In the next couple of days, I'm going to see my local non-stealership mechanic that's going to mount my tire, on the off chance he's got a can't-pass-this-deal tire in his rack. If not I'll have to make my mind up on what to order. I kind of can't miss with the Metzlers, but I could sure use the difference in cost on more toys for this project. I'm kind of liking that solo seat that TheSnakeLady posted in one of her threads!  Smiley

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #13 - 03/08/11 at 00:54:13

Need to order your tire down here southpaw. My guy mounts em free if you buy from him. He dont jack the cost of the tire up either...lol

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #14 - 03/08/11 at 09:33:03

Anyone riding white walls? My bobber wants its next set white walls.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:26:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacement Rear Tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.