Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starting clunk... (Read 66 times)
reondadomino

TN
Starting clunk...
03/06/11 at 20:29:39

Just bought this bike yesterday. I rode it, cut it off and re-started it, all the things you do before you hand over the cash. Everything checked out fine. Well, there are a few things to fix but nothing mechanically. Basically, the bike ran fine. But then when I tried to start it today, it just made a loud clunk!

Battery's good. All the electrical components work, lights are bright. There does seem a leak in the gas tank.

It did rain the whole way home, 3 hrs, while the bike was on the trailer. And then all night too, with the bike still on the trailer.

Read somewhere that maybe the battery has bad connections and so it can turn the starter over, not enough power.

What could cause this to happen overnight? Shouldn't be the rain, should it?

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Starting clunk...
Reply #1 - 03/06/11 at 20:48:01

If you have a charger, try it.  If not, try jumping with a car..usually rcommended that you try jumping with the car not running.  and yes, even though it started up on the trial, if the battery is marginal, that could have drained it just enought(since it wasn't run long enough to charge back up)>

and as always mentioned whith these clunk start threats, check that your ground wires and connections are clean.

Best of luck and Welcome. Smiley

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 03/06/11 at 20:56:06

Doubt that the rain hurt anything

but describe this "There does seem a leak in the gas tank"

likely the battery won't hold charge over night

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/06/11 at 21:01:24

Tick clunk, or just Clunk?

If you got the former, then it's the starter stalling, could be the decomp solenoid is out of adjustment.

The latter is a dying battery.  And no, 2 starts and a rain won't kill it.  Leaving the lights on or leaving the parking lamp on will.  There are 2 ways to turn the key from run and both you'll be able to pull the key.  Check out the ig switch, 1 position is marked "P" for park, it leaves the brake light on.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:30:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting clunk...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.