YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Red Light Changers ?
Reply #15 - 03/07/11 at 21:24:37

I've been thinking of making the kickstand into a electromagnet.
With a push of the button you could pull the wire out of the ground.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #16 - 03/08/11 at 16:54:38

After having moved my rectifier down to where the muffler bracket is, I've had a lot better luck. Some lights hardly change in a car though.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 03/09/11 at 12:54:54

Who has lights in a car?

Grin

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/10/11 at 09:37:10

Cops and firetrucks use a radio frequency control device to force the light to give them a GREEN. Hang a ladder off your bike and have it registered as a firetruck.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 03/10/11 at 17:29:45

One thing that helps a little bit is to be traveling faster when you drive over (into) the loop of wire that generates the signal for the light.  It's the same principle that generates electricity in a generator -- a piece of metal traveling through an electric field will disturb that field by changing the voltage.  If you hit the field (drive into the loop) faster, you have a better chance of triggering the light.

I know that if you are the first or only one to a light, you can't travel very fast very long or you'll be skidding into the intersection.  But,... if you go comfortably fast up until you absolutely have to stop, you'll have a better chance of triggering the light.

IOW, if you creep up to the light, dragging your feet at 1 mph, you'll have less of a chance of triggering the light.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 03/11/11 at 07:41:43

So,  they sort of work.     I say sort of because some of the ones they sell do not.   I did some experimenting and found a magnet in my stash that worked on the Savage and it works on the Sportster (which has aluminum wheels and was worse at lights than the Savage)

What's the idea of how they work?  Well, the sensor wire in the ground has a signal (frequency) being passed thru it.   As steel goes over the loop it acts as a larger "center core" and that in turn changes what is called "inductance" (basically a fancy term for how magnetic fields affect wires , voltage, frequency etc etc)..  The change in inductance affects the time delays in the frequency circuits and the system senses the vehicle.    What the magnet does is have it's "field"  affect the sensed inductance ever so slightly and causes the system to "see" you.  Works best if you rock the bike a tiny bit.  

So, why do some not work.  It has to do with the magnetic field they put out. (remember your school science class where they put iron filligs on paper with a magnet under it)  Some of the magnets do not have a flied that extends far enough.  

The Field has to go a few inches into the ground.  So, if you mount it on the bracket that the Calf. models would have the canister, it has to go somewhere around a foot or more out from the magnet.    

What I did to find the right magnet.....  I got a cheapo compass.  Then I set the magnets I selected on a wooden board on my concrete garage floor.  I checked each (one at a time) to see which magnet affected the compass the furthest out.   I found that a long skinny magnet (8 in x 1/4 in x 1/16 in) with the N & S poles on each end had the best field.   About 18 inches out.  The funny thing was it didn't have the strongest pull.    I have seen some of the magnets they sell, and I have one from another project I did. Well, they only go out maybe 6 to 8 inches since the N & S poles are on the flat sides, not the ends.  

One thing I was thinking of trying,  tear apart my son's old "connectx" (spelling) magentic toy and take the little magnets and stack then together and put them in a stray and see how far the field goes out.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pannonia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/11/11 at 08:22:09

As a bicyclist, I know that tilting the bicycle so that the most heavily-metalled area   the crank/chainring combo - so that it is closer to the sensor - - is enough to set off the red light changer, at least the changers that are made to sense bicycles (see link below). At least in Bellevue, WA and parts of Seattle, the sensor is always on the circumference of the tar-sealed circle that is bysected by another tar-sealed line.

Although I have not tried with my Savage, I would guess that the huge increase in iron and mass (from a 18 lb carbon fiber/alloy bike to a 350lb mostly steel bike) would be enough to set off the same sensor...

Of course, this would work only for the sensors that are made to work for bicycles...not the hidden ones made for cars. (I have no idea where those are/ how they work.)

Here is a site with a photo of what the sensors look like near me: http://www.inside-lane.com/2009/09/03/seattle-suburban-cities-try-new-pavemen...

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #22 - 03/11/11 at 10:13:25

This can be almost as bad as an oil thread.
We should all just use Klotz oil and that will eliminate any problem with sticky red lights.  Tongue

OK.  Those traffic sensors are "inductive loop sensors".  There is an oscillating signal going on in them all the time.   What a large metal object (I.E. CAR) goes into the oscillating magnetic field generated by that oscillation, it changes the inductance of the loop, and that changes the frequency of the oscillation and that is what triggers the light to change.
It is, really, just a big ol' metal detector that is buried under the road.
Magnets don't have much of an impact on those.  It is the mass of metal that is a car.  And not really just the mass, but how it is "seen" by the loop.
If you get a piece of sheet metal and lie it flat on the loop, it will likely trigger.  If you stand it straight up, it might not.

I know many of you will say I am wrong.. that's OK.
You say a magnet will induce a current in the loop. So what?  You need to change the frequency of the oscillation, not induce a current.
The key word here is oscillating.

If you insist that the magnet is the thing to use, then take your magnet, get a metal detector, and see how well the detector senses your magnet.  If it picks it up better than a similar piece of metal, use it.

Best thing to do is call the local authority that fixes the stoopid traffic light thangs and have them come out and adjust it!!!

http://marshproducts.com/pdf/Inductive%20Loop%20Write%20up.pdf

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/11/11 at 12:25:59

youzguyz wrote on 03/11/11 at 10:13:25:
Best thing to do is call the local authority that fixes the stoopid traffic light thangs and have them come out and adjust it!!!
http://marshproducts.com/pdf/Inductive%20Loop%20Write%20up.pdf

With my local government's attitide on spending tax money, I don't see much relief there. Smiley
Maybe the Banks will spend some of "OUR" money fixing the roads...they sure aint refinancing our homes with it.
In the mean time, drag your steel toe boots over the sensors till they spark!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:18:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Red Light Changers ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.