Send Topic Print
A word of Thanks! (Read 146 times)
Fuzzy5150
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

A word of Thanks!
03/05/11 at 15:07:59

I just wanted to say Thanks to all those who have contributed to this site.

About 2 weeks ago, I purchased a 2007 S40.  It only had 2,400 miles on it, but it had sit for a year without being used.

I put fresh gas in the bike, and it ran (ideled) rough.

The first thing that I did was drill out the brass plug, and work with the idle mixture screw.  I found the sweet spot, and it idled great.

I took it for a spin.  It accelerated OK, but would not hold a steady speed (any speed) without stuttering.

I read the 'white spacer' article, and the various atricles on jetting.

I tore it apart today.  Just wanted really say thanks for all the pictures and advise.  Made the job much simpler.

When I went to remove the main jet, it snapped off.  Upon closer examination, it had been cracked for a while, as the break was coroded.

I ground the white spacer down to 2mm.  I buffed the slide on my buffer wheel (knife maker).  I installed a new 150 jet.  Did a general cleaning.

I set the valves, and found they were a bit tight.  Put in a new standard NGK plug.

When I fired it up, it ran very well.  Re-set the idle.  When I came up off idle, it transitioned without a stutter.  I'm anxious to button it all up, and take out on the road.

I changed oil.  Used Rotella T6, and added Marvel.  

All this made much simpler by all of you, from where to get a filter, to what type of oil and addative to use, to the diagonistics!   Grin

"Strength over weakness, pride over humility, and knowledge over faith."
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: A word of Thanks!
Reply #1 - 03/05/11 at 16:46:40

Hey, these guys can be some cranky old suckers, but they do know these thumpers don't they  ?

But I'm curious, didn't snapping off the main jet cause a problem ?
But then, I don't know these carbs very well either.

Good all went well !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/05/11 at 18:23:20

Wow, snapped the main off.  That must of been exciting.

Just cause it's happened before, did you find the washer under the main?
And put it under the new one?

WWW   IP Logged
Fuzzy5150
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/05/11 at 18:58:14

Yes, found and reused the washer.  Thankfully the threads were not seized up.  I was able to get the rest of the Main out of the tube.

I'm really excited by the way it runs.  Can't wait to ride it when the weather warms up.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 03/05/11 at 22:25:31

Fuzzy, good job on the bike. I don't know , but does anyone here know if Marvel Mystery oil will harm the clutch? I know it's good stuff for cars, especially for top end valve noises. Just asking to keep him from being disappointed later. Anyone know for sure?  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #5 - 03/06/11 at 02:26:32

Quote:
I ground the white spacer down to 2mm.  I buffed the slide on my buffer wheel (knife maker).  I installed a new 150 jet.  Did a general cleaning.

I hope you didn't buff off all the black coating on the slide.  If you did, you might find the slide will stick unless you constantly add a lubricant (Seaform, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc) to the fuel ... or purchase a new slide.

IP Logged
Fuzzy5150
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/06/11 at 05:11:34

No....I did not buff that aggressively.  I use a mild white diamond compound that I use for the final mirror finish on knife blades.  It just smoothed the surface of the slide.

IP Logged
Fuzzy5150
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/06/11 at 13:23:39

Well...got it all buttoned up today, and in spite of 30 degree weather, dressed up and got it out for a run.

Thinning down the white spacer completely fixed the mid-range stutter.  It ran like a champ, and pulled like a tractor.

Since this was my first 'real' ride at speed, I can tell it will be a great 60-65mph machine, but will churn too hard for me to be comfortable pushing it farther for extended runs.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 03/06/11 at 19:40:48

Fuzzy, Being raised around engines, I learned to listen to them rather than watch the tach. I felt the same way you do for about a month. Now it's wide open as needed and I always creep up the 70+ on the 4 lane if I'm not careful. Trust me, the 650 is not fragile.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:23:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A word of Thanks!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.