Send Topic Print
The Project: Phase 2 (Read 3486 times)
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
The Project: Phase 2
03/05/11 at 08:18:42

I installed the Ryca fork "shortening" kit today. It doesn't really shorten the forks, just the amount of rebound travel by slipping a spacer onto the damper rod.

The fork is fully compressed in the shot below because I haven't installed the springs yet. I'm awaiting notes from Ryca about the proper length to cut the spacers. You don't cut the spacers if you're using stock springs, because the stock springs are kind if limp and could use all the preload they can get. I got the stiffer springs.

Oh yeah, and I temporarily installed the clip-ons.

The process isn't hard. I replaced the seals, retaining clips and wiper boots while I was at it.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Re: The Project: Phase 2
Reply #1 - 03/05/11 at 08:28:46

Really Nice. I envy You!!!! Btw going back to the polishing. Sorry if I needed to put this somewhere else. I bought this product at home depot:

And is giving me awesome results.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 03/05/11 at 08:39:18

I used the same clear coat remover. Good stuff.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #3 - 03/05/11 at 08:42:36

I got the product from you, but I ordered online since I couldn't find it in any store.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 03/05/11 at 08:45:03

You had to order it? Wow. It was on the shelf at my local AutoZone.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #5 - 03/05/11 at 09:02:54

Double check on this: Go to Rycamotors.com an click on news. There is a video that shows you how to install Te front forks. I sure they talk about using progressive springs and to cut the spacers 1-1.5".

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 03/05/11 at 10:09:43

Cool. Thanks. I don't remember getting the update on this. Everything else usually shows up in my email.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
s40fan
YaBB Newbies

TX
Reply #7 - 03/05/11 at 11:02:14

Any thoughts on shortening the after market springs instead of cutting the spacers? I wish RYCA had an option for the shorter spacers before they sent it all out and then stating you need to trim the spacers.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #8 - 03/05/11 at 11:21:21

Shortening springs usually makes them stiffer. That might be good or bad, depending on the spring rate you start with and what sort of rate you want to end up with. These are progressively wound springs, so there's a "soft" end and a "hard" end. You'd get different results from whichever end you cut.

Cutting the spacers isn't any harder than cutting springs. Fire up the angle grinder and cut away.

Should Ryca have included correct length spacers with the upgraded springs? It would have been nice, but considering how overwhelmed they are, I can cut my own.

The general rule of thumb is to slide the springs and spacer in, then cut off the amount of spacer that sticks above the end of the fork. Then the fork cap will compress things to the proper preload. I'll go see how much sticks out in this case. If it's 1-1.5", then I'm in the ballpark.

UPDATE: The spacer sticks out about 3/4"

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #9 - 03/05/11 at 13:47:13

The video Is not in The news page. I'm sorry about that. You click on the buy section and at the bottom of the page click on the last update. In that page look for "this week video" i posted the video URL for you to see it and again I'm sorry.

« Last Edit: 03/05/11 at 18:14:55 by verslagen1 »  

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 03/05/11 at 14:30:49

Ryan pointed me to their YouTube page. Found it, cut an inch off the spacers, put it together except for oil. I'll put that in at final assembly of the whole bike.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #11 - 03/05/11 at 15:01:35

I'm looking forward to seing your bike finish. Your doing a hell of a job. Soon I will be doing mine too.  Huh

IP Logged
Abbey Normal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/05/11 at 15:04:44

Looking good and I'm looking forward to more photos of your build.  I got my fork parts yesterday and am just waiting for my build slot to come up.

IP Logged
s40fan
YaBB Newbies

TX
Reply #13 - 03/05/11 at 16:47:42

Spacers werent as big a hassle as I thought. Cut them with some bicycle mechanic tools I have for fork steerer tubes.

Bad news is I received two right side handlebar mounts and didnt realize it till it all went together! Sad

Sent an email to RYCA requesting a replacement. Was planning on doing the front end and running it till the rest of the order comes in to see how the bike runs with just the RYCA front end options. Oh well for now.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #14 - 03/05/11 at 17:05:41

Now that I think of it, a pipe cutter would work quite nicely.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 19:18:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Project: Phase 2

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.