The Project: Phase 2 (Read 3486 times)
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: The Project: Phase 2
Reply #15 - 03/06/11 at 11:36:42

With springs and gaiters.

With the forks and gaiters completely compressed, the gaiters were too tall. So I extended the forks and let the gaiters find their natural length. That showed the gaiters were four folds too long, plus the narrow collar at the end. I cut off three so there would still be a little tension holding them against the bottom of the triple clamp.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
s40fan
YaBB Newbies

TX
Reply #16 - 03/06/11 at 14:49:16

MotoBuddha, curious about your bar setup. I notice you have them reversed from the normal RYCA setup. Bars point up vs down. Is that the way your are going to keep it for final build?

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/06/11 at 15:23:25

s40fan wrote on 03/06/11 at 14:49:16:
MotoBuddha, curious about your bar setup. I notice you have them reversed from the normal RYCA setup. Bars point up vs down. Is that the way your are going to keep it for final build?

was wondering the same thing. Just installed mine pointing down.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #18 - 03/06/11 at 15:24:09

I've been going back and forth on this. I have to account for the slant of the forks. I was looking at various Ryca photos, but it looks like there have been at least two versions of the clamps. In a video it shows the bolts for the part that clamps around the fork turned to face inside the triple trees instead of outside, with the bar bolts at the bottom.

In the photos of the first bike, the bars are nearly flat with almost no pullback.

Like I said, I'll have to see how things fit once the forks are on the bike.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/06/11 at 15:29:58

how are you going to handle the little peg inside the left and right hand handlebar controls? I don't the exact name of the part, so I am sorry about that. But, basically the OEM bars have one small hole on each side drilled in. This corresponds to a little peg inside the left and right controls, so that it doesn't rotate.

IP Logged
Abbey Normal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/06/11 at 15:34:47

On other bikes with different handlebars, I've found a small wrap of duct tape (solves 90% of problems) has done really well holding the clamp to new bars.  Or mark where the dimple will contact the bars and drill a hole to match.

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/06/11 at 15:36:39

Abbey Normal wrote on 03/06/11 at 15:34:47:
On other bikes with different handlebars, I've found a small wrap of duct tape (solves 90% of problems) has done really well holding the clamp to new bars.  Or mark where the dimple will contact the bars and drill a hole to match.

Yea, the problem will be finding the exact spot where that hole should be.

On another note, referring to the above comments about the way your bars are mounted-  check out the fork upgrade installation video and you will see that the bars are mounted pointing down. I have an e-mail sent off to Ryan to clarify this issue.

IP Logged
Abbey Normal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/06/11 at 15:36:49

I like the gaiters...nice touch.
I'm curious to know when you got on the Ryca list.  I got on in early December and am just trying to get an idea of when Santa Clause might be visiting with a sack of Ryca goodies...

MotoBuddha wrote on 03/06/11 at 11:36:42:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/motobuddha/c7748daf.jpg

With the forks and gaiters completely compressed, the gaiters were too tall. So I extended the forks and let the gaiters find their natural length. That showed the gaiters were four folds too long, plus the narrow collar at the end. I cut off three so there would still be a little tension holding them against the bottom of the triple clamp.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #23 - 03/06/11 at 15:43:02

sbaugz wrote on 03/06/11 at 15:29:58:
how are you going to handle the little peg inside the left and right hand handlebar controls? I don't the exact name of the part, so I am sorry about that. But, basically the OEM bars have one small hole on each side drilled in. This corresponds to a little peg inside the left and right controls, so that it doesn't rotate.

The way I've done this with other bikes is to put a piece of duct tape on the bar, position the switch /throttle pod loosely where it needs to be, then squeeze the halves together so a depression is made in the tape by the locating pin. Put an ink dot on it, drill a small pilot hole, then follow with a hole the necessary size. Pull off the tame and mount things up. The clip-ons are aluminum, so they'll drill easily.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #24 - 03/06/11 at 15:47:20

Abbey Normal wrote on 03/06/11 at 15:36:49:
I like the gaiters...nice touch.
I'm curious to know when you got on the Ryca list.  I got on in early December and am just trying to get an idea of when Santa Clause might be visiting with a sack of Ryca goodies...

MotoBuddha wrote on 03/06/11 at 11:36:42:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/motobuddha/c7748daf.jpg

In November, I think.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 03/06/11 at 16:08:11

MotoBuddha wrote on 03/06/11 at 15:43:02:
sbaugz wrote on 03/06/11 at 15:29:58:

The way I've done this with other bikes is to put a piece of duct tape on the bar, position the switch /throttle pod loosely where it needs to be, then squeeze the halves together so a depression is made in the tape by the locating pin. Put an ink dot on it, drill a small pilot hole, then follow with a hole the necessary size. Pull off the tame and mount things up. The clip-ons are aluminum, so they'll drill easily.

most people just file the pins off, the controls clamp down on the bar fairly well.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #26 - 03/06/11 at 17:24:51

It's easy to drill the clip-ons because the bars can be rotated into whatever orientation you need after you drill the holes.

For example, take one of the bars, slide the throttle sleeve on,  then put the pod around it and the tab is right there where you can mark the distance from the end of the bar. Take everything off, drill the hole, slide the sleeve back on, slip the throttle cable in place, bolt the halves of the pod together, slide the master cylinder on from the other end, tighten the bolts, then slide the bar into the mount, twist it around to where you like it and tighten the bolts.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 03/06/11 at 18:04:00

A copy of an e-mail I just got from Ryan

"The bars could go either way I guess, but we always install them pointing down.

You can either drill the holes in the bars, or file the pins off, but I would recommend
drilling a hole for the pins. We'll show that in the build video, we just wanted to get the
clip-ons out to people as soon as possible.

-Ryca"

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #28 - 03/07/11 at 04:53:38

Here's the shot from the spring installation video that had me second guessing. Notice the location of the pinch bolts. I used them to orient the clamps -- left, right, which way up.

With the bar pinch bolts at the bottom and the fork pinch bolts facing inward, the bars tilt upward. But now I realize the clamps in the photo are not the same as the ones done in the production run. On the current ones, the two sets of pinch bolts are 90º to each other, not more or less opposite.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #29 - 03/08/11 at 04:34:00

Evidence my tank and hub arrived at Ryca. Mine are on the far left.

This photos is from their weekly email update. So things are moving along.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 21:36:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Project: Phase 2

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.