Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for input AKA' HELP (Read 119 times)
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Looking for input AKA' HELP
03/04/11 at 07:43:15

First I'd like to say hello to all as this is my very first post on this forum. Recently I purchased a 98 Savage in great cosmetic shape with 4070mi on it but not running. I get to tinkering with it yesterday and discover that what was thought to be the problem (starter solenoid and decomp solenoid) are not the problem. I believe it has very low compression cause it won't do anything with ether even though it has spark. So I start tearing down the head cover and see evidence of someone else having been in there before. Now I'm wondering if they didn't mess with the timing chain. The guy I got it from was told it could be a broken piston ring which I doubt. Any other thoughts as what could this? Also the tail pipe/ muffler is very blue but not the head pipe what would cause that and should I consider that a clue to the underlying condition or would that be a seperate thing? How do you get the blue off? Thanks in advance Grin

IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Re: Looking for input AKA' HELP
Reply #1 - 03/04/11 at 07:49:52

Blue Job Chrome Polish Cleaner works for me!

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #2 - 03/04/11 at 07:51:10

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I havent used it before but I have heard good things about Blue Job for removing the blue from the chrome. Google Blue Job and you find it. From what I hear that and alot of elbo grease will make it look much better..
The engine gruru's should chime in soon about the engine...
Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #3 - 03/04/11 at 07:53:04

you may want to check the timing just to be on the safe side. Also you may as well make sure that the infamous plug leak is taken care of while the head cover is off.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/04/11 at 08:03:16

If a bike's been sitting a long time, especially if it was parked because of a previous starting problem,... it can lose compression due to a lack of lubrication on the cylinder walls... (sometimes referred to as gas wash)(unburned gas in the cylinder, washes all the oil off of the cylinder walls)...
Try a squirt of oil (maybe a teaspoon) into the sparkplug hole and see if that helps.

Worth a try... My Geo Metro had that happen and lost all compression in all 3 cylinders,... a couple of squirts and it was perfect...
Good luck...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 03/04/11 at 09:21:59

splash07 wrote on 03/04/11 at 07:53:04:
you may want to check the timing just to be on the safe side. Also you may as well make sure that the infamous plug leak is taken care of while the head cover is off.

What's the plug leak? The bolt toward the inside of the engine on the head dripping? I notice that bolt on mine is always wet with oil.

IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/04/11 at 16:05:47

Some nastier options are blown head gasket or burned a hold through a valve.  I did that once on an older Honda 100.  I would certainly try the "squirts of oil" suggestion first and hope for the best.  You wouldn't expect anything majorly wrong on a bike with 4000 miles.

Good luck, -Hal

IP Logged
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/04/11 at 17:39:26

Well the timing is roughly 90 degrees off. The plug was leaking already so that is definite gonna happen fix. Tomorrow I will check to see if the cylinder will hold air and if it does then I will set the timing and fix the plug leak. I knew it felt like timing being off but at 4000 mi. I had to second guess myself. So apparently the PO had no clue what he was doing and went and tore down the head, head cover and valve covers. I think it will be fine though because it did have some compression but was really weak. Thanks for the help on the blue chrome that to me is priceless info Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:22:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking for input AKA' HELP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.