Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Charging a Battery: How long does it take? (Read 132 times)
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Charging a Battery: How long does it take?
03/03/11 at 16:24:57

As the thread title states, how long has it taken you guys to fully charge a battery?  

My situation: I left the headlight on all day, and fully drained the battery (yes that means I left the keys in the ignition  Embarrassed).  I connected the battery to my 750mA tender the next day, and left it on overnight, only to find that the battery was only charged to 7.5V.  After one more day, the voltage was reading 8.5V.  

Is there any hope left for this battery?  It's an agm battery, and I'm not sure how many years have been on it.  At least 2 though.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Charging a Battery: How long does it take?
Reply #1 - 03/03/11 at 16:33:28

a battery tender isnt a battery charger. Its not meant to charge a totally dead battery. If the tender doesnt go kaput it'll probably take a few days. Your battery's probably fine if its just 2 years old but i could be wrong. Places like advanced auto parts will test it for free.

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #2 - 03/03/11 at 19:33:51

I see.  I may have prematurely ordered a new battery then.  I checked the output of the tender (750mA), and figured since the battery had 14 A-h in it, it would take about 18 hours to charge.  It's been at least 36 hours now.

Thanks for the reply.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 03/03/11 at 21:10:15

I believe my trickle/float charger gives about 42+ hours to charge a battery that's at 20%. Put it on a full size charger overnight. I let my battery go flat twice and charged it back both times. When it quit this winter I went back with the same battery Yuasa YBL-14ah2, I belive. Maybe yours will come back.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #4 - 03/03/11 at 23:45:31

When I got my new battery it took 27hrs to charge

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 03/03/11 at 23:47:13

Usually not that long. Depends what the charge was. Assault and battery?  On the positive side, if you have the energy to see that the charge holds, you can rest assured the old crank will stew in some cells for a long time. On the negative side most charges like this just wont hold.... and I have no idea what in he** I'm saying. Sorry!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 03/04/11 at 04:53:34

Edgar wrote on 03/03/11 at 23:45:31:
When I got my new battery it took 27hrs to charge

If this is true, and is a motorcycle battery, I would normally think either the battery or the charger, are junk.
The math is quite simple,.....if a 12 amp hr battery was stone dead, it would take 12 hrs to completely charge it w/ a 1 amp charger.

On the other hand, if using the little bitty battery maintainer such as from HF, then it is quite possible to take 27 hrs.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 03/04/11 at 07:26:25

if the out put of the "charger" is 12 volts
it aint chargin its maintaining...
it takes 15 some volts to charge our 14 amp hour battery
plate sulfation and acid strenght are two factord that determine lenght of charge..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 03/04/11 at 07:37:58

Last year my battery was stone dead, from sitting outside all winter. I took it to Batteries Plus, where I bought it, and they charged it for free. It took 2 days on their trickle charger, but the thing was like new when I got it back. It had 3 years on it already. I'm slow charging it in the basement this winter and hoping to get 1 more season out of it.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 03/04/11 at 22:11:05

thumperclone wrote on 03/04/11 at 07:26:25:
if the out put of the "charger" is 12 volts
it aint chargin its maintaining...
it takes 15 some volts to charge our 14 amp hour battery
plate sulfation and acid strenght are two factord that determine lenght of charge..

In reality, if the output is only 12 volts, it won't charge, it won't maintain, it mite even run the battery down to 50% SOC
12.06 volt =50% SOC
But a battery will fully charge at about 13.4 volts, which is also the min voltage for maintaining (float charge) (all depending on temperature)
For many years 13.8 volts was the charging voltage for most lead acid batteries. In later years they found higher voltages (14-15v) not only charge faster, they also make batteries last longer by keeping the electrolyte  mixed better, and slows down sulfation. Some chargers have hi voltage desulfaters built in.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Mega
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/05/11 at 06:17:24

I just charged my battery this week.  It took about 8-10 hours on the 2 amp setting.  it could have been sooner.  I wasnt watching too close.

I live in Florida and its hard on batteries.  I just buy a new one every spring regardless if its working or not.  A lithium ion battery would work well in florida, but its still cheaper to buy a new cheap one every year.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:22:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Charging a Battery: How long does it take?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.