Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what is the average expected clutch life span? (Read 98 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
what is the average expected clutch life span?
02/28/11 at 08:07:34

Just curious if there is a mileage marker for clutch replacement - before you experience clutch failure?.....not that I am having any symptoms of clutch failure or slippage - this is my first ever MC and i dont want to ride it to its limits and end up with large repair projects...i guess i am trying to be proactive instead of reactive.

1996 bought 1 year ago with 6900 miles - now has 9100 miles - oil was changed when i got it and at 8400 miles - I use Valvoline 10-40 4 cycle motorcycle oil.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: what is the average expected clutch life span?
Reply #1 - 02/28/11 at 11:36:21

1 lifetime   Grin

don't know, 40k on both bikes, one I replaced the springs, both slip when encurraged.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/28/11 at 12:46:04

According to clymers specs (which they have listed backward) no one has actually ever worn out a clutch pack. If you start to get slippage you have 1 of 4 likely issues
1 - Cable is improperly adjusted
2 - Arm is improperly adjusted ( there are 3 lengths of push rods. They are cheap and are meant to be switched out at some point. Read up)
3 - You're using energy conserving car oil
4 - You've done performance work and the stock setup just plain wont cut it.

Unless you've got a #4 happening any fixes will be cheap but potentially tedious. Get a clymers manual, take it slow, and you'll probably never NEED to pay anyone else to work on it. If you have no problems now, dont worry about it, just keep your cable lubed and adjusted.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #3 - 02/28/11 at 12:58:16

yes I plan to lube the cable this weekend - no problems - and I have no plans to upgrade the performance - or do burnouts  - or quick dumping of the clutch drag racing style - i am just getting from point A to point B as gently as possible for as long as possible.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:25:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › what is the average expected clutch life span?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.