Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to take off the aluminum side panels for polis (Read 65 times)
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How to take off the aluminum side panels for polis
02/27/11 at 18:25:56

Those recent photos of buffed gleaming aluminum pieces off the Savage have flung a thing on me to do mine.  So far I have the triangle oil filter cover and the front piece of the belt guard.  They look pretty good.  Now to take off the rest of that right side cover.  Is it just unbolt and tap and it comes loose? (I have a gasket set ready and have drained the oil.)

And on the left side do those side covers come off simply too?

I'm finding with my 8" buffer at 3500 rpm that a few times it has grabbed my piece I'm about finished with and zoom across the concrete.  Back to wet sanding and and new word inventing......

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: How to take off the aluminum side panels for p
Reply #1 - 02/27/11 at 20:55:25

Yes, easy off. You need to unbolt the right side foot peg to get enough clearance to remove the cover. Mine came off without totally removing it...just loosen it enough to move it out of the way. You also need to remove the exhaust pipe (2 bolts) and of course the exhaust pipe guard.  Also--when removing the little bolts around the cover---pop them into a piece of cardboard, in the same pattern as they are on the cover. You want to make sure they all go back in the same place they came off from. Some of them are different lengths, and some have a small gasket on them. (looks like a little washer) Those need to be on there in the right place, or you will have oil leaks. Some folks say to replace them with new gaskets. Your choice. The cover may not come right off--you need to TAP it some with a plastic hammer, or GENTLY pry around the edge to break it loose. And be careful--there are locating pegs...2 or 3, I forget. You don't want to snap them off. Work it back and forth and it will come.
I have never had the left side cover off, but I assume it is similar to the right side. If nothing else, check in the TECH section, and I'm sure there is something in there about all of this. And good luck with the shine job. I wish I had the tools and the time to do mine.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/27/11 at 21:28:41

might as well do this while you're there...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 02/28/11 at 04:33:01

The one on the left side might fight you a little coming off. The flywheel and strator love each other and never want to part. But wiggle while you pull and the cover will come off.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:20:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to take off the aluminum side panels for polis

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.