Send Topic Print
Bobber Rat Project :P (Read 904 times)
Hades
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bobber Rat Project :P
02/27/11 at 14:45:14

It's doubtful everyone will enjoy this, possibly even doubtful that most of you might enjoy this but I'm posting it up anyhow because unlike most of my projects I actually remembered to take some pictures every now and again. Been wanting to build a bobber for some time and although they tend to be a bit ratty by nature mine is a full on "rat". 'ey! It's what I like.
Bike is an '86 Savage 650. Build's been going on for a little under a month and I still give it another three weeks to a month before they're complete. (This is only covering the Savage build...)

I'll start with the night I picked her up;

Went straight to tearing her apart, removed the suspension, removed the tank and sprayed it olive drab (Was going for a jungle rat theme though you'll see I changed my mind and went a different route later on.)

Started clipping the wiring and trying to figure out what could and couldn't be eliminated with a lot of help from my buddy Cooncy. We came across some things we didn't know and while searching good ol' Google we found this here forum! (And wiring diagrams that you gentlemen were nice enough to share with others, appreciate it.)

Just checkin' stuff and spraying a lot of the bike black already.

Had to order a new front/rear tire 'cause they were utterly consumed by dry-rot. Got a 3/4" white wall for the front and a solid black for the rear. Front wheel was sprayed in bright (but flat) red and the rear in flat black like the rest of the bike.
I sprayed coats of OD Green and then flat black on the tank, then sanded the top down to bare metal and some corners and let a rag with clorox sit on it for about an hour to start the rusting process.

I then took a brush and painted the fighter jet shark mouth on both sides of the tank. Made the gas cap out of some electrical conduit parts from Home Depot and used RTV to make a gasket for it. It's self-tapped on to the tank and is not leaking any fuel even when upside down.

Got some black drag bars for it off of eBay (was actually having a tough time finding the proper metal to make my own bars so... had to get it [because I'm so darn impatient]).

As I make more progress I'll post more pics and info.
You guys have been a great help and I'll try and explain anything any of you may want to know. Thanks for lookin'  Smiley

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Bobber Rat Project :P
Reply #1 - 02/27/11 at 14:51:35

Funny how that last picture looks like the real wheel is leaning further left than the rest of the bike.

But it's looking very cool. Thumbs up.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Hades
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/27/11 at 15:14:29

MotoBuddha wrote on 02/27/11 at 14:51:35:
Funny how that last picture looks like the real wheel is leaning further left than the rest of the bike.

It might be! Rear wheel isn't bolted down all the way yet, gotta pull it back off so I can grease everything up. Tensioners haven't been touched; belt's loose as hell.  Tongue

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 02/27/11 at 16:46:56

I think its the way your camera is taking pictures,Is your roof on your carport curved.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Hades
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/27/11 at 17:08:04

bill67 wrote on 02/27/11 at 16:46:56:
I think its the way your camera is taking pictures,Is your roof on your carport curved.

Some are shot with my iPhone and some with my GoPro. The GoPro pictures are most certainly fisheye shots but the bike being fairly centered in the picture would stop the lens from messing with the bike itself (enough to get a comment about the wheel being crooked at least). This is just the angle the picture was taken from which I believe is called an 'optical confusion'. See what they did there? Illusion? Confusion? YA!  Grin

Edited*

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - 02/27/11 at 17:12:42

I think you should keep the visegrips hanging off the carb or whatever. Very ratty.

And if you're going to leave the speedo off, you have a handy drink holder.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Hades
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/27/11 at 17:18:50

MotoBuddha wrote on 02/27/11 at 17:12:42:
I think you should keep the visegrips hanging off the carb or whatever. Very ratty.

And if you're going to leave the speedo off, you have a handy drink holder.

Funny you mention the vice grips! I'm using some old, rusty needlenose pliers as extra leverage for my fuel on/off. I'll post pics once it's up. Today I removed the pegs from my foot controls and we're welding some real, dimilitarized grenades on there instead.

I'll post some pics of how we mounted the solo seat tomorrow incase anyone cares to see that.

The hole in the tank is huge and I've thought long and hard as to what to put in there. I was thinking a pocket from a pool table. Already snapped a shot with a bottle of blue label in it! I'll post that one too, hehe.

IP Logged
Hades
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Seat!
Reply #7 - 02/27/11 at 17:31:20

Chopped the last couple inches of frame off;

Made the measurement! Made sure the seat would clear the tank and would sit where I wanted it and we clamped the bar where it would be welded.

Welded all the way around! Can't be having my support fall off on me on the highway...

Then of course we welded two bolts facing straight up where the springs (my suspension) would line up with the studs on the seat itself and VOILA! The hard part was done.

Blue Label! w00t.  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 02/27/11 at 21:51:16

did you guys notice the gas cap?

it's hard, but look past the blue label.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 02/27/11 at 23:20:07

thread tile IS Bobber/Rat... & that gas cap is totalee RAT.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 02/28/11 at 04:27:19

You might want to put a little lube on that gas cap before is rusts closed and you need a pipe wrench to fill up.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 02/28/11 at 05:28:54

Looks like fun to me!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #12 - 02/28/11 at 08:10:43

Gotta admit, that is one TOUGH lookin' Rat man! Cool I was liking the O.D. green paint on 'er though ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 02/28/11 at 09:00:34

Is that tank vented?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Hades
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/28/11 at 10:51:48

Thanks for the comments guys!

MotoBuddha wrote on 02/28/11 at 04:27:19:
You might want to put a little lube on that gas cap before is rusts closed and you need a pipe wrench to fill up.

The threads that get screwed in look brand spanking new, but I probably should just in case. It IS mighty humid in Miami during the summer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:22:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bobber Rat Project :P

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.