Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Negative ground location (Read 110 times)
Lunar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Negative ground location
02/23/11 at 11:11:52

I took several pics before taking my 1986 Savage completely apart to aid in reassembly, except for the negative battery cable ground location. Where exactly does it ground? Thanks

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Negative ground location
Reply #1 - 02/23/11 at 11:25:10

Just looked at my 96 and the manual and it goes under the 5 or 6 mm bolt that connects the 2 main cases together just under the center rear engine mounting bolt, RH side sitting on the bike. Can't find the scan on this computer or would send it to you. It is on the OE manual on the pages that show where every electrical connection goes. Can rescan if this doesn't help, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Lunar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/23/11 at 11:30:34

Thanks! No need for the scan.  I don't have the manual and don't see it in the Clymer repair manual but your info is plenty.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 02/23/11 at 13:08:21

A trick that a lot of older Jap brand bike forums use is multiple grounds.

A single ground can get some aluminum corrosion and get "faulty" as far as electronic black boxes and such go.

Go to an electronics store and get some uninsulated woven copper ground strap and solder one end to your negative terminal connector on your wiring harness (the one that hits the negative terminal on the battery)

Then run the other end to the FRAME at a couple of ground clean & greased connection points (aluminum motors really do make bad long term grounds as they oxidize at the points the current is conducted).  If you have different frame sections mounting your electronics, consider running a branch off this same woven copper ground strap to go there directly.  (and the Savage has this situation on the fender)

Some old Jap bikes absolutely require this sort of treatment -- Yamaha in particular.   I have always said the Savage was blessed with robust and trouble free electrics and this is so very very true compared to old Yamaha and Honda bikes.

By doing this you preserve your electronics instead of killing them slowly by poor connection neglect.

and when you can't buy them electronic boxes any more little tricks like this get down right important to you ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:19:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Negative ground location

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.