header wrap? (Read 135 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
header wrap?
02/21/11 at 10:09:36

I am looking at doing my header since it is already blue and ugly the DEI wrap says to coat the finished wrap with HT silicon coating - some others do not call for this - who has done a wrap and done the coating or not ...basically is it "required" or optional to spray the HT silicone coating on it after yuo get finished wrapping it?

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Re: header wrap?
Reply #1 - 02/21/11 at 10:39:47

I used the DEI products on mine, including the paint. I used header wrap before on my racecar without the coating. The coating seals the wrap, extends the life, & IMO, just looks better. I'd recommend the paint if your going to wrap it up. Cool

BTW, mine was rusty as......living on an island in the Gulf has it's downside. Angry

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 02/21/11 at 10:50:45

I wonder if the coating keeps black wrap from turning gray.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #3 - 02/21/11 at 11:48:55

I beleive somehwere i saw that addressed that it "could" possibly keep it from fading - I got the copper colored wrap and I guess i will coat it - said to wait until the wrap dried if using the water soak application method - I applied it yesterday - drove it long enough to get it good and hot - evap the moisture and rode it to work today - suppose I will get the spray and apply it tonight after the header cools off......just a few lite coats? anyone who has done it let me know.

did a little more digging - the material i used is the Titanium LR technology material - DEI says no HT coating needed.

</div
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 02/21/11 at 13:01:26

I just got 15' of 2" DEI black header wrap off amazon for somewhere around $15. I soaked the wrap for a few minutes before putting it on and it faded pretty significantly just from that. Hasn't faded visibly after running it yet (only have about 150 miles since i put the wrap on).

I opted to avoid the coating. I saw it as little more than high temp spray paint for $10, but I could be wrong. Also factoring in was me being lazy, not having a place to paint, and it being freezing outside.

Stuff is cheap enough I'll risk it. If it looks terrible a year later I'll revisit the coating thing.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #5 - 02/21/11 at 13:38:29

yep i got 15' and it covered the header from the engine port to the union with the muffler. read somewhere that folks used 25' must have a healthy overlap - i tried to keep it at 1/4" overlap as recommended.

</div
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/21/11 at 18:33:19

I used the DEI stuff on mine as well. Made the mistake of ordering 15 feet of the 1" stuff and it was not enough. Re-ordered 15 feet of the 2" and its the perfect length.  I overlap about 1/2" on mine and use stainless steel tubing clamps to secure. I found that the stainless steel ties that it comes with don't work for crap.

I used the titanium wrap, which does not require the spray, nor does it require wetting when applying. The titanium stuff lasts longer and I think the color looks cooler.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › header wrap?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.