Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Opinions Please
02/21/11 at 08:04:50

I bought my '04 Savage in'06 with a pearl white paint job. It looks nice but has always been a pain for showing road dirt and really wasn't "me". I've got a nice opportunity to trade some work with my daughter's friend for a new paint job if I buy the materials and am considering my options. Ever since I saw Lancer's Air Force emblem on Rex I've toyed with the idea of painting mine silver with a P-40 aircraft "shark's tooth" decal similar to this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/P-40-FLYING-TIGER-SHARK-DECAL-3-COLOR-2-PACK-L...

I made a copy of the e-bay pic and blew it up to see it against my tank and am convinced it could work but I'm still undecided between this and some of the tank pinstriping on this guy's e-store with a rolling dice theme. I'd be curious to know what you all think. I've seen it work on a v-rod, but that's a very different style of tank. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Opinions Please
Reply #1 - 02/21/11 at 09:02:48

white requires a particular owner who will clean at every opportunity, not me either.  The same goes for silver and gloss black.

The eyes and tiger shark mouth will work.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 02/21/11 at 09:59:19

I think the decal option is a good idea to try it out, see if you like it, before you go to the actual expense of paint, if you are unsure.  Somebody here was making vinyl decals, just about any design you could think of.  Send her a pic, she could make it.  Can't seem to find the link.  A few people got them and may tell you if it might be worth a try.  She didn't have different colors of pink, or I would have had her make a Piglet for me.

Personally, I think the tiger shark mouth is cool.  But everyone has to pick what suits them.  So you are really the only one that has to like it!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/21/11 at 10:45:30

Grrr, arggh!...  A-10 country out here... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 02/21/11 at 11:02:10

that gatlin gun poking from the nose of that A10 ,is one deady gun ,
I'm sure the origional Mr Gatlin would be proud,arent they 50 caliber ?

As for the paint Job.not my cup of tea,I can see it on a really fast bike
but a Savage,I don't think so.Well you did ask.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/21/11 at 11:20:30

mick wrote on 02/21/11 at 11:02:10:
that gatlin gun poking from the nose of that A10 ,is one deady gun...arent they 50 caliber ?

30mm 4000 rounds per minute of depleted uranium
goes thru soviet armor like sh!t thru a goose.

Funny you should say it needs to be on a fast bike, A-10 is about as slow as they went.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/21/11 at 11:26:17

That gun is pretty quick though... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #7 - 02/21/11 at 12:16:36

Yea..... very quick! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd3tUg6Dj1Y

Ive seen quite a few A-10's at airshows and that is one scary gun. My thumb has no problem fitting in a barrel with room to spare. No way would i want that thing comming after me!!

To the OP, the bike is already a Savage... might as well make it look like one! I think the teeth would look great!

Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
HalfPint

Cumming, GA
Reply #8 - 02/21/11 at 12:35:09

The paint style your considering sounds really sweet! IF you do it be sure to put after work pics! My savage is a pearl... =P

1987 Pearl Savage ^_-
  IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #9 - 02/21/11 at 13:30:42

[quote Funny you should say it needs to be on a fast bike, A-10 is about as slow as they went. [/quote]

At Lake Powell on a houseboat a few years ago, two A-10's flew over at very low level in trail formation.  About 1/4 mile after they passed us, they cranked a 90 degree turn to port and flat disappeared.  They may only operate around 300 mph, but at low level, it looked and sounded like a LOT more.  Awesome airframe, with an awesomer gun!

Terry

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 02/21/11 at 14:35:12

verslagen1 wrote on 02/21/11 at 11:20:30:
mick wrote on 02/21/11 at 11:02:10:
that gatlin gun poking from the nose of that A10 ,is one deady gun...arent they 50 caliber ?

30mm 4000 rounds per minute of depleted uranium
goes thru soviet armor like sh!t thru a goose.

Funny you should say it needs to be on a fast bike, A-10 is about as slow as they went.

I guess you are right ,they are pretty slow by comparrisen.
Shall have to wait and see.If he does it.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 02/21/11 at 18:23:02

A while ago I paintchopped some's bike just to see how to might look:

$40 the vinyl stickem is 11" long, about the same size, maybe a little smaller.

WWW   IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #12 - 02/21/11 at 18:27:45

Thanks for all the input. One of the things I like about this place is it's honesty. If someone doesn't like or agree with something, you get that too and that's what I'm looking for. To me the Savage has always had a timeless look and I figured a WWII era theme would work well. I hadn't really associated the P-40's shark teeth with speed as much as a tough reliability Mick, but I'm glad you pointed it out. More food for thought.
 I've seen show bikes with "Memphis Belle" type nose art that looked pretty good but IMO that would look silly on a small bike as the "canvas" is too small. Besides, the P-40/Warhawks were low cost, single engine one seaters known for their versatility and agility (which I'm told is why they flew bomber support), so the association just seemed to fit.
 Painting the bike wasn't high on my priority list, but if this deal goes through, it might be too good to pass up. I guess I'll have to make up my mind pretty quick. The actual paint job might not happen immediately, but once I do my part for him, I know he's good for it when the timing works out! Kind of nice to be talking about work and paint and bikes again instead of doctors and hospitals and such!  Smiley
Thanks again for the input.

Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 02/21/11 at 19:03:30

Did some measuring on the sticker (11") with a large picture of dead sideways 2011 S40, a little picture chopping, trimmed the vinyl a little...

Rip that "Boulevard" off the tank, trim the vinyl, it should fit Perfect!  Or full paint, slight trim (green line) and it should fit the curve of the tank.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 02/22/11 at 00:42:38

I'm a BIG fan of WW2 style aircraft nose art on M/C tanks ... have always thought the P-40 "Flying Tigers" tiger shark grin was pretty cool ... but the O.D. green is the color for your paint if you go that route.

FWIW ... have always thought the pearl white paint of the S40s to be one of the best colors Suzuki ever painted the LS650 ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 15:47:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Opinions Please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.