Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What compound is used to buff out aluminum. (Read 322 times)
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What compound is used to buff out aluminum.
02/20/11 at 20:28:34

I got an 04 Savage last week and the aluminum parts on the bike need the clear coat stripped off and the pieces buffed.  I got a bench buffer and stand and have some compounds I've been trying and I get a good shine but I want stunning.  What stick compounds you all use and where to get them?  I find paint stripper sure takes off the clear coat in minutes.  I found spray lacquer at Home depot today.  I guess some quick coats with that will seal the shine in awhile when I get them dome.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: What compound is used to buff out aluminum.
Reply #1 - 02/21/11 at 04:57:36

I've been buffing a lot of parts on my bike. Between stripping and a fabulous shine is a lot of sanding. (Wet sanding, of course.) When you look closely at the parts you see there are some areas Suzuki didn't bother to put a nice finish on.  No amount of buffing will make those areas shine like chrome. So you need to sand them. (You might even need to do some grinding.) And to make sure everything looks the same, you need to sand everything.

Depending on the condition of the part, you might need to start with as coarse as 180 grit then work your way up to 220, 380, 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 2000. Once you get the uniform milky finish, then you can go to the buffing wheel.

You'll need buffing rouge, also called jeweler's rouge. Google it and you'll find all the sources you need. And you can probably find detailed instructions online, too.

Here are some before/after shots of my buffing. These haven't been on the wheel yet. I just hand rubbed them with some aluminum polish.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/21/11 at 05:03:01

Nice looking parts.  That made a big difference.  Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/21/11 at 05:52:05

Mothers aluminum polish. Do as above if it is really scaled/pitted. The aluminum polish will not 'yellow' on the cases from heat either.

IP Logged
stoner
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 02/21/11 at 06:00:20

Here is a great site for polishing info.  My brother purchased some of their compounds for use on his 500 Shadow and the results were awesome.  I am sure compunds purchased anywhere else would be just as good, but the site does offer a lot of good info on other stuff as well

Here ya go
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/21/11 at 08:33:13

A cotton wheel & a couple O bars of compound cot about 6 bux @ Harbor freight.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 02/22/11 at 00:13:53

The Eastwood company should be able to sell you anything you need.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 02/22/11 at 00:30:12

I have polished most of my casings and they look as good as chrome. I do not clear coat them because it gives it a milky look. Parts will stay shiny for months and all it takes to bring back the shine is a little polishing by hand with a metal polish and rag. maybe takes 5 minutes per casing.
I agree you have to use sand paper to sand the rough areas that suzuki forgot to smooth out but instead of sandpaper I use these sanding blocks you can buy anywhere. They come in fine, medium and course. They work great because they are flexible and get down in all the grooves. After stripping the casing of the clear coating I can now polish a large part in a hour or so and make it look almost as good as chrome. You can read a newspaper off the reflection of the finish. The buffing wheels and rouge can be bought in most hardware stores. I get mine at Harbour Freights. All for under
$20.

IP Logged
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/22/11 at 07:57:43

Thanks Stinger,

That should be doable and hearing that they stay nice looking awhile is good.  I just didn't wanna be like marine corps motoring having to polish the brass every time you go out.  BTW I'm retired air force and didn't have brass to polish but my dad was a 3 war 33yr Marine and I used to polish his brass and shoes.  those are good life skills but that getting potty trained at gunpoint was a bit zippy....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 02/22/11 at 08:34:54

grc-27

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/24/11 at 04:33:29

Here is a tip
When looking for cheap simple sanding sticks, check the local drugstore beauty counter for foam fingernail boards. They generally come in different grits, cost pennies, and can be cut down to suit your needs. The foam follows the surface of your work better than wood or plastic, and the grit holds up pretty well on soft metals. I use them on silver with very good results.

IP Logged
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/24/11 at 04:38:35

Ok thanks.  I don't know where to get this GRC-27? I think that's what was mentioned.  I went over to Castle I thinks that's the name and they have some aluminum polishing kits and I got some of their buffing rouge for aluminum.  It's in the mail I guess.  Thanks for the tips.  those foam emery boards will work nice.

IP Logged
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/24/11 at 04:41:06

Those pieces motobuddah shined up look good.  This polishing up things reminds me of when I went in the air force in 69 and when we got out uniforms and shoes/boots I spent an evening and spitshined them pretty well.  the next morning in formation I was called infront of everybody and the order was tomorrow everyone's will look just like his.  Geez had these big Jersey guys come in and kinda say  shine em....

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 02/24/11 at 06:40:29

JohnBoy wrote on 02/24/11 at 04:33:29:
Here is a tip
When looking for cheap simple sanding sticks, check the local drugstore beauty counter for foam fingernail boards. They generally come in different grits, cost pennies, and can be cut down to suit your needs. The foam follows the surface of your work better than wood or plastic, and the grit holds up pretty well on soft metals. I use them on silver with very good results.

I use those all the time,Their good for polishing the frets on guitars.Plus other metal things.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 02/24/11 at 13:27:42

I use beer. I just drink enough till the thing looks great to me, then , I dont have to mess with rubbin on the bike AND I done got me a beer buz, Its a win, win. & the REALLY good part is, when I wake up, Ill see the bike & have to drink more beer,,so, I have a really good reason to have More Beer! Man,Ive got this stuff DOWN!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:24:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What compound is used to buff out aluminum.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.