Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to make a fork disassembly tool (Read 1711 times)
antjuan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: How to make a fork disassembly tool
Reply #15 - 05/22/15 at 21:20:56

one thing to note, before you start disassembling your forks off of your bike, or even put your bike up on a stand to begin this process of fork seal replacement; while the bike is still on the ground with fork clamps untouched: loosen your fork caps (the bolt on top of each fork tube). Just a good idea to get them started while on the bike. because if you take them off bike and then try to loosen the caps your guna have a bad time..
And throwing them in a vice could damage them, i don't know, just a little time saver/ frustration ignorer.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #16 - 05/23/15 at 04:32:51

antjuan,

In order to take the forks off of the Savage, the fork caps have to come off as they are integral in the triple clamp assembly. But yes, it does make sense to "crack 'em loose" by half a turn before loosing the lower pinch bolts.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
98savagebob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 06/19/15 at 18:32:15

Ok so is it 5/8 or 24mm there's a pretty big size difference

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 06/20/15 at 03:31:10

98savagebob wrote on 06/19/15 at 18:32:15:
Ok so is it 5/8 or 24mm there's a pretty big size difference

I don't believe it is Apples to Oranges.  The 5/8" is the bolt diameter....the 24mm is the hex head size.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
98savagebob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 06/20/15 at 04:05:44

Ok thanks

IP Logged
RevJay
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/27/17 at 06:58:59

Hi
I'm a newbie to SL 650 but no stranger to bikes!
I have had big trouble removing damper out of front forks, now can't tighten up.
The thought of having to locate this big nut was a bit daunting. Then I thought,  I remember using a 24mm socket for something ?  Ah ha  Towball onto towbar !
Eureka I have spares.
So for any euro zone guys there is your nut bolt easy to find!
Hope this helps  I just glued nut on bolt loctite and used my socket extensions.
Yours
Jay   Bobber on the build

IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 06/12/17 at 15:12:45

The plumbing pipe with 5/8" brass cap did not work on my '87 Savage. I could feel it fit the shape, barely, but not enough to catch, if you know what I mean.

I saw a YouTube video of a guy replacing fork seals on a Savage. He made an offhand comment that,  if you can't get the dissambly tool to work, just reassemble the forks. The springs will provide enough pressure to loosen the bottom hex bolt.

I wanted to know if this was a viable option before making another run to Lowe's or destroying my wife's broomstick.

IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #22 - 11/06/18 at 23:58:15

This is what I used today for my forks and it worked perfect and required absolutely no welding, gluing or whittling. This is a coupling found at the hardware store with the nuts and bolts. It was 4.89 and is metric even though it fits into my 15/16 perfect. I noticed when fitting these that the coupling sizes seem to be gauged by their internal bolt diameter so bring a socket with to be sure, though I believe it was a 20.

2018-11-06_14_45_29.jpg

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #23 - 11/06/18 at 23:59:32

Attach it to the socket and be sure the one you have sticks out enough to catch the damper rod.

2018-11-06_14_46_04.jpg

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #24 - 11/07/18 at 00:09:52

This picture shows the breaker bar braced by the tank. This allows you to focus on turning the bolt on the bottom without holding the breaker bar. Use something(I had a large rubber hose) to prevent damage to the bike. I had to remove the fork assembly so i could slide the coupling in horizontally so it didn't drop in down the tube. If the socket and coupling separate its OK it was effortless to fit it back in while its in the tube, in fact I took the socket and breaker bar out so I could take a break (I do everything on the street) and had no problems when I dropped the socket back in to let it grope for the coupling i left inside.

2018-11-06_11_31_47.jpg

IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #25 - 11/07/18 at 00:14:25

Brace the bottom with your free hand so that even pressure is applied and since its braced above its pretty easy. I could not get my hex sockets to fit far enough in so I bought a single 8mm hex key and used a wrench for leverage.
« Last Edit: 11/08/18 at 00:56:40 by WunGun »  

2018-11-06_11_32_35.jpg

IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #26 - 11/07/18 at 00:18:56

Done. Easy as pie. Eating pie... I cant bake for crap. Hope this helps.

Also I apologize for making individual posts, I am not used to forums or using sites to add pics. Learning new stuff everyday.

2018-11-06_14_09_23.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 23:29:25

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › How to make a fork disassembly tool

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.