Send Topic Print
What type of Oil? (Read 268 times)
AKinengland
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What type of Oil?
02/17/11 at 08:36:39

Hi I am new on here and I am in England I have a 1988 four speed which I have owned for about 8 years but it has been off the road for about 5 of those I started using it again last september after a re-spray etc.
I currentley use a good quality Mineral 15-50 Car oil in my bike is this OK? or should I use oil desined for bikes?
also what do you guys use in your forks as my bike has been standing outside most of the time I would like to change the fork oil and do you measure the amount as in the Clymer manual? Smiley

Thanks

Andre

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What type of Oil?
Reply #1 - 02/17/11 at 08:55:38

15-50 should be acceptable.
Oil for diesel engines is also a good choice.
Stay away from energy conserving oils, they have friction modifiers that make the clutch slip.

15 wt. fork oil, ATF in a pinch.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/17/11 at 08:56:45

car oils are not great for the bike especially if it has friction modifiers. In the US if it has modifiers it says so on the bottle. The modifiers will make your clutch slip. If it doesnt have friction modifiers it still isnt great as it has very low levels of zddp, which is an anti-wear additive. Best bet is Rotella (in the US) which is actually meant for diesels, or bike oil.

IP Logged
JimRR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/17/11 at 09:06:04

Welcome Andre,

You living in England I'm not sure you would need 15-50, unless it gets really hot there. These are just my opinions; when the outside air temperature is cooler I use Castrol 10W-40, and in the hot summer I use Shell Rotella T 15W-40. No matter what folks will say, I have always avoided synthetic oil in the crankcase.  In the past, for the forks, I have used ATF, Bel-Ray full synthetic 10 wt fork oil, and Castrol 10wt fork oil. All have worked well. In the summer of 1988 I spent a wonderful three months at R.A.F. Sculthorpe near Fakenham and parts beyond and have fond memories of that area. Regards, Jim.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 02/17/11 at 09:28:20

JimRR, I am curious -- why do you avoid synthetic oil in your crankcase?

Earl, is that you buddy?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 02/17/11 at 09:30:47

Best to use a good synthetic oil made for motorcycles,You pay a little more but in the long run its cheaper no motor repairs,I use Klotz racing oil 15w 50w and Klotz fork oil 15 weight.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/17/11 at 09:36:52

getting ready to add oil to my bike for the first time after having the covers powder coated.

I have a couple bottles of Castrol Actevo X-tra 4T 20W/50 semi synthetic oil that I will be using. Not sure its the best option, but I plan on using it unless someone says it shouldn't be used.

FOr the fork oil, I am changing that as well- after the RYCA parts come. I have a bottle of Maxima racing Oils 15W fork oil.

IP Logged
JimRR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/17/11 at 09:41:13

The reason I use a decent quality conventional motor oil is because I think, IMHO, is that synthetic motor oil is a complete waste of money. I own 3 motorcycles, and one has 48k miles, one has 24k miles, and the humble Savage has a smidge over 8k miles. Again, IMHO, unless your "wringing the tits" out of the machine, there is just no need for it. There, I said it, let the bashing begin. Smiley Regards, Jim.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 02/17/11 at 09:49:42

Actually,  I agree with you.  

The main advantages that synthetics can legitimately claim is that they keep a somewhat stronger more durable oil film at the same viscosity, they can keep it at temperatures that would destroy a dino oil's film and that with good filtration they can last a whole lot longer.

None of these items really apply to a stock Savage engine.

unless you go Dragon riding that is .....   then they all likely apply

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 02/17/11 at 19:41:50

I am in Oklahoma. Very hot and humid summers. My brother in law and I run more than 4,500 miles every year. Lots of superslab miles at speeds between 75-90 miles an hour. Often times my wife is on the back seat, and the terrain here is anything than flat. That motor gets stressed hard like that. Hardly ever the tachometer is below 5,000 rpm. Up the hills is full throttle often, especially with two up. Like I said, 105 degrees and 70%+ humidity for several weeks in a row is not uncommon. I think that qualifies. A close to 4" stroke makes for some pretty high piston speeds, no doubt.
I used to run Lucas 20W-50 in summer, Mobil1 10W-40 in winter and recently switched to Rotella 5W-40. This will be the first summer with this Oil. I intend to run that oil all year round. With the Lucas, oil consumption wasn't worth to mention. A couple of shot glasses maybe every 1,000 miles. Because less than 20 bux for an oil change, I threw it out every 1,500 miles. I surely doesn't hurt anything. We'll see how it works out with the Rotella. I wanted to give it a try, since countless people brag about it. The bike has almost 15,000 miles down, and all it has been done to it as far as "repairs" is valve gap check three times, where the first one didn't require much adjustments, they were still within specs, but on the upper end. The two following checks were actually a waste of time. Nothing to adjust. The other thing was the cam chain adjuster plunger was replaced at 11,000 miles with an extended one. Fairly early, I know, I have no idea why. Maybe 10 minutes ride to work every day, winter and summer did it. The bike doesn't even get warm like that.

IP Logged
Cbc629
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
does Rock!

Reply #10 - 02/17/11 at 20:32:31

Motul Synthetic

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 stock
proud 2nd owner
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 02/17/11 at 22:14:49

oil is like is likie butt wipe.many avantages all are good,  i personally  iife ac delco 10-40  gpt 98,000 miles on my last thum[per  gn400
i also use it inall my machines.

oil is like oil everybody's got thier prefference, who am i to begrudge so one els' one's choick.

there are sevral bobber hatters and they express thier express those thougths

personally i would neve bad mouth somegbody-s choice.  so how bout keeping the "pos' thoughts to your self's  or better yet  post a pic  so we could critize your work o art.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 02/17/11 at 22:22:40

Under those conditions, I would have stayed w/ synthetic,....any synthetic.

ralfyguy wrote on 02/17/11 at 19:41:50:
I am in Oklahoma. Very hot and humid summers. My brother in law and I run more than 4,500 miles every year. Lots of superslab miles at speeds between 75-90 miles an hour. Often times my wife is on the back seat, and the terrain here is anything than flat. That motor gets stressed hard like that. Hardly ever the tachometer is below 5,000 rpm. Up the hills is full throttle often, especially with two up. Like I said, 105 degrees and 70%+ humidity for several weeks in a row is not uncommon. I think that qualifies. A close to 4" stroke makes for some pretty high piston speeds, no doubt.
I used to run Lucas 20W-50 in summer, Mobil1 10W-40 in winter and recently switched to Rotella 5W-40. This will be the first summer with this Oil. I intend to run that oil all year round. With the Lucas, oil consumption wasn't worth to mention. A couple of shot glasses maybe every 1,000 miles. Because less than 20 bux for an oil change, I threw it out every 1,500 miles. I surely doesn't hurt anything. We'll see how it works out with the Rotella. I wanted to give it a try, since countless people brag about it. The bike has almost 15,000 miles down, and all it has been done to it as far as "repairs" is valve gap check three times, where the first one didn't require much adjustments, they were still within specs, but on the upper end. The two following checks were actually a waste of time. Nothing to adjust. The other thing was the cam chain adjuster plunger was replaced at 11,000 miles with an extended one. Fairly early, I know, I have no idea why. Maybe 10 minutes ride to work every day, winter and summer did it. The bike doesn't even get warm like that.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 02/17/11 at 22:25:00

I don't understand all the hype on oil for a bike. Once again, I have used only auto motor oil in my bike. Usually Castrol 10-50. I have 47,000 miles on it and it runs just as good as new. Most of it freeway so high RPM's. Change it every 1,500 miles or so, or after a long hard ride. I'm beginning to think all oil is basically the same. I'm beginning to think everyone wants us to spend a bunch on oil unnecessarily Gas today was $3.31 a gallon at Texaco, and $3.01 at Arco. My car runs no better Texaco gas.

IP Logged
AKinengland
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/18/11 at 02:34:49

wow thanks for all the replys, it has given me food for thought my clutch hasnt slipped with the Car oil in but I think I will try the diesel
oil at the next change, I also tend to change the oil at 1500 miles my bike has done 24000 miles I will post some pictures soon.
with the Fork oil is the Clymer Manual the best way of doing it by measuring the gap from the top of the oil to the top of the tube?
Thanks again
Andre

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:14:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What type of Oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.