Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lazy rider didn't winterize, Big Crank results (Read 170 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Lazy rider didn't winterize, Big Crank results
02/17/11 at 08:20:59

Savage in snow

I was a lazy bastardo and didn't winterize the bike. It basically sat since November, not starting it once since then. We had the worst winter I could remember living here. So, how did the Big Crank hold up?

I got home yesterday and peeled the cover off. Had my battery pack with me, as well as starting spray. Put key in ignition and turned. Lights on! Good so far. Pulled choke out, hit starter and let it crank 3 times. Nothing. Hit starter again for 3 cranks. Nothing. Once more.........success! Fired up, and better still, stayed fired up after closing choke. Showed my gratitude by washing and waxing the bike.

For those of you looking for a good battery, I can recommend the Big Crank. Mine is, I believe 2 years old and has been through 2 winters with no signs of letting up.

FSO
  IP Logged
04 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Lazy rider didn't winterize, Big Crank results
Reply #1 - 02/17/11 at 08:26:01

Nice!  I had to put my in a trickle overnight, but then it started right up yesterday.  It sat since new years eve.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 02/17/11 at 09:29:47

Joe, that pic is despicable!  LOL  

Sorry you had such a rough winter, but glad to hear the Big Crank is doing what it is supposed to do.  Mine acted exactly the same as yours, day before yesterday.  Second winter for my Big Crank too, but mine's in a heated garage.  I also gave it a good cleaning.  Even got to take a ride yesterday... and will do so today!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/17/11 at 09:49:58

Next time youre gonna start after a long time sitting, put it on prime. The carb will lose whats in the bowl over that amount of time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 02/18/11 at 04:56:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/17/11 at 09:49:58:
Next time youre gonna start after a long time sitting, put it on prime. The carb will lose whats in the bowl over that amount of time.

Good point Justin.

FSO
  IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/18/11 at 05:22:36

That looked just like my bike after we got almost 3 ft. up here in NJ.  I got the cover off yesterday and started her up (battery was on trickle in my basement).  Took her for a spin and she was doing fine.  After about 10 minutes of riding i would come to a stop and she would stall out.  She would start back up with a little resistance this happened three or four times.  So I limped her home and got her idling in the drive way.  Any idea what the problem could be?  Last year she would stall in the rain so I thought maybe a bad plug cable.  I'm hoping its not the carb.  I topped off the tank in November and added the appropriate amounts of STABIL and HEET.  Thoughts?

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 02/18/11 at 06:38:01

Hows th idle? Mite be a bit low.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/18/11 at 06:54:40

I upped the idle screw and she would idle.  The weird thing was that I was able to come to a stop early in the ride with no problem but it was after 10 minutes this started happening.

Plus, last summer/fall, I was able to idle much lower.  Last night I had to crank it up to a point where I could tell was a tad high.  Maybe because it was a little cool still and she had just sat three months?

Thought maybe the stabil or heet could have fouled the plug maybe?

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 02/18/11 at 08:24:12

Southern Monmouth County here Wally, welcome.

Bumping the idle will help in that situation, and a quick tip would be to switch to prime or reserve when the stuttering starts. Prime has kept me riding smooth more than once. Just remember to turn back to on when shutting down.

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 02/18/11 at 08:25:32

As cool as it sounds loafing along at low rpm, dont do it. The oil pressure is too lo to keep the top end slicked up. The cam will eat the head up.. Let that thing idle at least at 1,000 rpm

IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/18/11 at 08:28:54

I'm southern monmouth too!  West Belmar to be exact.  You?  We should go for a ride! (once I get her running smooth).

thanks for the info on the idle I will make sure I have it up higher from now on.

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #11 - 02/18/11 at 08:36:19

wallysurfr wrote on 02/18/11 at 08:28:54:
I'm southern monmouth too!  West Belmar to be exact.  You?  We should go for a ride! (once I get her running smooth).

thanks for the info on the idle I will make sure I have it up higher from now on.

I'm 3 miles north of you, 8-9 blocks from the Ocean. I know a great ride out to Allentown. Through farmland, sweeping turns and no traffic lights. Give me a shout. I'm off on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

FSO
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #12 - 02/19/11 at 12:04:16

Nice ride for a couple of hours yesterday. Going on 4 years since I bought this bike and I'm still in awe of it. It is without a doubt the best motor vehicle purchase I've ever made in over 30 years of riding/driving.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:16:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lazy rider didn't winterize, Big Crank results

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.