Send Topic Print
SuperTrapp Exhaust (Read 332 times)
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

SuperTrapp Exhaust
02/15/11 at 13:56:51

It has been a while since I have looked into it but is the SuperTrapp the only aftermarket "out-of-box" exhaust for the S40?  i.e., one that just slips on and mounts perfect without any mods?

I had trouble getting the wife's S40 running nice.  I am sure much of it is directed to exhaust leaks that I can't seem to get right with the dyna slip on that is on there.  I think the header pipe is not perfectly seated and where the slip on meets the header pipe.

I want to get the bike going nice but just don't want to deal with the exhaust issues so I think I'd like to just buy one that works!

All the rejetting has already been done....

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: SuperTrapp Exhaust
Reply #1 - 02/15/11 at 14:01:17

Take your pipe and muffler to a muffler shop and have them make a stepped collar for you -- one end to match the OD of the pipe and the other to match the ID of the muffler.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Reply #2 - 02/15/11 at 14:06:55

MotoBuddha wrote on 02/15/11 at 14:01:17:
Take your pipe and muffler to a muffler shop and have them make a stepped collar for you -- one end to match the OD of the pipe and the other to match the ID of the muffler.

That is the part that is of least concern.  I used a bunch of coke cans and tons of High Temp sealant so I don't think it is really leaking.  The issue is when the dyna slip on is fitted to the head pipe and then the smuffler is mounted securely the alignment is a bit off.  I don't think the head pipe is seating properly and there is  a perrenial exhaust leak there.

Although backfiring was reduced substantially, I think there are other issues with the carb.  Might be dirty or something...but the bike is a dawg.  I don't know if the exhaust is a red herring or not, but I'd like to rule that out once and for all when spring arrives.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 02/15/11 at 14:29:41

I don't get it. First you say you don't think it's your Coke can and sealant joint, then you say the joint is leaking. I mean, unless the pipe or muffler themselves have holes or cracks, then it must be the joint. If it leaks because the muffler gets cocked a little when it's mounted, then the joint wasn't done properly.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Reply #4 - 02/15/11 at 14:34:23

MotoBuddha wrote on 02/15/11 at 14:29:41:
I don't get it. First you say you don't think it's your Coke can and sealant joint, then you say the joint is leaking. I mean, unless the pipe or muffler themselves have holes or cracks, then it must be the joint. If it leaks because the muffler gets cocked a little when it's mounted, then the joint wasn't done properly.

I suspect the biggest leak is where the headpipe joins the cylinder.  So creating a better seal where the muffler connects to the headpipe won't alleviate the leak at the head.  

If I remove the muffler and secure the head pipe peoperly, the alignement does not work out for the muffler.  Perhaps some work on the muffler/frame securing points may fix the problem but it isn't something I really want to fiddle around with.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/15/11 at 14:42:07

You need to put the header on 1st, then align the muffler to it.
You can't adjust the engine to the header after all.

Some use a short transition pipe between the header and muffler.
And you may have to use only one bolt of the muffler.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 02/15/11 at 14:47:43

OK, now you've clarified yourself -- head pipe at the cylinder. You didn't say cylinder or head or engine before.

So get a new exhaust gasket, torque the pipe down properly, then mount the muffler. If the muffler doesn't line up with the support bracket, bend the bracket. If the muffler won't mount at the angle you want, have the muffler shop make a collar with the necessary angle in it. Or just go ahead and get the SuperTrapp, since it sounds like that's what you want to do anyway. Roll Eyes

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Reply #7 - 02/15/11 at 14:51:27

MotoBuddha wrote on 02/15/11 at 14:47:43:
OK, now you've clarified yourself -- head pipe at the cylinder. You didn't say cylinder or head or engine before.

So get a new exhaust gasket, torque the pipe down properly, then mount the muffler. If the muffler doesn't line up with the support bracket, bend the bracket. If the muffler won't mount at the angle you want, have the muffler shop make a collar with the necessary angle in it. Or just go ahead and get the SuperTrapp, since it sounds like that's what you want to do anyway. Roll Eyes

So back to my original question... is SuperTrapp the only one that will fit right up?  Or are their others.  Not interested in a drag pipe.  Wink

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 02/15/11 at 14:54:23

Only ones I've heard of ar the SuperTrapp or the Jardine  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/15/11 at 15:07:14

The supertrapp will fit, but it's a super tight fit on the header.
I've had to trim back the header of both of my installations.

Otherwise perfect muff, nary a pop.
when it does, the header was loose.
adjustable by adding disks for overrich and noise considerations.

WWW   IP Logged
redsav80
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Florida
Reply #10 - 02/15/11 at 20:47:13

Supertrapp and Jardine are the only slip ons that I'm aware of with the exception of Raask which is a full system. I have the Jardine and it sounds nice. It is quiet when needed and has a nice bark when you get on it. It is also a bit cheaper then the Super Trapp. However, the Jardine is not adjustable for sound and performance.

IP Logged
s40fan
YaBB Newbies

TX
Reply #11 - 02/15/11 at 20:52:28

Put a supertrap on my 2007 with zero problems or mods. No more gunfighting when i turn the engine off. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 02/15/11 at 23:03:39

I had quite a moment when I installed my S/trapp. I had to cut on the header with a grinder. I let the sparks hit on & around the battery vent tube. Hydrogen gas exploded, cracked the battery on on side, sprayed corrosive stuff around,,, fun to clean up. Quick action with baking soda & water  stopped corrosion, a couple of hours doing the careful search for stuff that needed cleaned + the cost of a battery.. Dont DO that,,, its exciting for bout 2 seconds & a costly drag for a long time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 02/16/11 at 00:45:56

It took me all of 10 minutes to install my supertrapp. No modifications whatsoever. Great sound, great performance. Not so great price. I found mine on sale for $250 on the net but they usually go for a little over $400.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 02/17/11 at 07:40:58

DennisKirk has the Jardine for $169.99.

Part # 14410401 if this link doesn't work
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp;jsessionid=NPUTPVBK...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:29:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SuperTrapp Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.