Send Topic Print
Official RYCA Updates (Read 8839 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Official RYCA CS-1 Updates
Reply #135 - 07/30/12 at 11:04:46

A longer shock will do that. You cant fit a much larger wheel without a longer shock, so you're limited in what you can run in the back. The scrambler will have to somehow get that look with the stock sized rear wheel. Maybe you can hack off the frame, and weld up rails up high to get that longer shock to fit without changing the angle of the swingarm.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Official RYCA CS-1 Updates
Reply #136 - 09/17/12 at 05:34:16

What is the distance between the mounting holes on the RYCA CS-1 rear shocks and full compression and no compression?  (max and min length)

I'm working on a more precise belt adjustment procedure, and I need this specification.  This is a big deal for me because the Avon Speedmaster tire I use apparently has a larger diameter than was planned for the RYCA-modified swingarm.  There is very little adjustment available between the point of the belt being too tight, and the tire rubbing on the swingarm.

update 21 Sep --- Ryan says the RYCA shocks min and max lengths are 11" and 13"

« Last Edit: 09/21/12 at 05:39:49 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Official RYCA Updates
Reply #137 - 09/20/12 at 20:46:35

cool    Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #138 - 09/24/12 at 06:38:20

Is the 1986-2012 Clymer S40 manual available? The only one that I can find on the internet goes from 1986-2007.

Is the 2007 version applicable for a 2012 model?
:'(

IP Logged
Iowegian
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #139 - 09/26/12 at 19:53:21

I have a 2012 S40 and bought the 89-07 manual.  Looks like almost everything (at least the important stuff) mechanical is the same.  I can't comment on the wiring diagrams.

IP Logged
thabrock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tulsa
Reply #140 - 10/02/12 at 13:42:43

Will the any of the GS rear wheels fit the Savage swing arm?

I have a 97 Cafe Savage (mod) AND a 2006 S40Boulavard Stock.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #141 - 10/02/12 at 13:56:43

thabrock wrote on 10/02/12 at 13:42:43:
Will the any of the GS rear wheels fit the Savage swing arm?

Yes, an '83 GS450L will fit.  For me the rear was a drop in, no mods, others weren't satisfied.  On the front you have to cut down the disc and space it out from the hub to work with the savage caliper.  One spacer needs adjusting.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Belt adjustment procedure.
Reply #142 - 10/05/12 at 08:10:38

RYCA CS-1 belt adjustment procedure

This is important because the swingarm on a RYCA conversion never does get level.  As the shocks compress, the rear axle keeps moving rearward, so you have to make sure the belt is not overtight when the rear suspension is compressed as far as the shocks allow. With standard RYCA shocks, their range of movement is 11" to 13" as measured between the shock mounting point.

This procedure will adjust for the max tire/swingarm clearance without overtightening the belt, which is an important issue when the RYCA modified swingarms are used with larger diameter (4.00 - 18) tires.  

1. Chock the front wheel and get the rear wheel into the air using a jack or some other support for the frame.
2. Undo the tops of the shocks, and tilt them out of the way.
3. Lower the bike carefully so the tire contacts the floor.  Adjust it so the distance between the centers of the shock mounting points is 11 inches (or whatever the distance is for max compression of your shocks, if you didn't use standard RYCA shocks which move from 11 to 13 inches).
4. Loosen the axle just enough so you can move it fore and aft using the belt adjuster bolts.  If you loosen it too much, when retightened, the swingarm gets a tiny bit longer, making the belt tighter.
5.  Allow the axle to move forward a little (~ 1/16") to a loose belt position.  The final movement of the axle should be from a forward position moving aft using the belt adjuster bolts.
6. Adjust the axle so the belt is moderately tight.  
  -- The belt should be just tight enough to permit twisting it 45 degrees.
  -- Make sure the pulley is aligned with the belt by placing a straight-edge along side the pulley to verify it is parallel with the edge of the belt.  The little adjustment marks on the outside rear of the swingarm are not very precise.
7. Tighten the axle back up and, with the shock mounting points still at 11 inches, recheck the belt tightness.  It should be fairly tight (45 degree twist), but not rigid.
8. Without turning the belt adjuster bolts, tighten the belt adjuster nuts.
9. Check the clearance of the tire and swingarm.  There should be at least 1/8" between the tire and the swingarm, and the tire sidewalls should be about the same distance from the inner surfaces of the swingarm.  This is not a very precise item.
10. Jack the bike up so the distance between the shock mounting points is 13 inches (or whatever the distance is for max extension of your shocks).
11. Re-install the shocks.
12. Lower the bike (the belt will seem fairly loose) and ride away.
13. After the first ride, recheck the adjustment to make sure nothing moved.

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #143 - 10/22/12 at 21:06:43

Just gotta say...all this Ryca stuff is cool, it's why I got my savage! Cool

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #144 - 11/08/12 at 16:40:25

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #145 - 12/04/12 at 06:05:56

I remember seeing a comment by Casey somewhere about the jets supplied in the kit as being too rich, and that we should be using a 52.5 pilot and 150 main.

Where is that comment?

IP Logged
jvdb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #146 - 12/05/12 at 18:46:14

Gyrobob wrote on 12/04/12 at 06:05:56:
I remember seeing a comment by Casey somewhere about the jets supplied in the kit as being too rich, and that we should be using a 52.5 pilot and 150 main.

Where is that comment?

It's on the comments of the youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFFuF9QZ4IM

Quote:
Uploader Comments (rycamotors)
After many trials we recommend in 9 out of 10 applications a 52.5 (stock) pilot jet and a 150 main jet for the CS-1 and other models with a k&n and a pipe..(55/155 is too rich usually)

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #147 - 12/06/12 at 12:50:22

jvdb wrote on 12/05/12 at 18:46:14:
Gyrobob wrote on 12/04/12 at 06:05:56:

Where is that comment?

It's on the comments of the youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFFuF9QZ4IM

Quote:
Uploader Comments (rycamotors)
After many trials we recommend in 9 out of 10 applications a 52.5 (stock) pilot jet and a 150 main jet for the CS-1 and other models with a k&n and a pipe..(55/155 is too rich usually)

thanks large

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #148 - 12/24/12 at 12:51:11

Casey, In the Double RYCA build thread you stated, "For existing customers, if you feel that your wheel isn't within acceptable limits, please contact us and we'll work out a solution. For future customers, please note that the rear wheel is optional. You can also purchase the spoke and nipple set and lace your own rim.

Thanks,
Casey
Ryca Motors "

see replies in that thread #182 through #186

I am going to have the bike down for a couple weeks to work on the headlight, some wiring, the bars, and more paint.  If I send the rear wheel to you, how long will it take to make the spokes right so they are straight (not bent into a curve anymore) and get the wheel back to me?

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #149 - 02/07/13 at 13:36:20

Hi All,

Went to visit Ryca today to pick up some parts. They are shipping the Bobber kits now. These will be very popular. Saw the bike that is featured on cover of Clymers. I'm ready to make one! A subtle touch is that the rear bolt on subframe is moved out on the right so that the rear wheel is centered between the arms of the frame for a symmetrical look. Great design work.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 04:30:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Official RYCA Updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.