Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Start-up after Hard Freeze (Read 115 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Start-up after Hard Freeze
02/12/11 at 11:24:05

We had a hard freeze and lots of snow here in OK for a couple of weeks straight. Temperatures were below freezing the entire time and a few nights as low as -4 without the wind chill. My bike is sitting outside under the porch with a cheap nylon cover on, just to keep the water off. Although I must say it is against the south wall of the house, it is still fairly exposed. I haven't rode it for several weeks now, due to the weather and the fact I slipped on a flight of stairs and cracked my tail bone. Although it still is very painful to even sit on it, I went out and wanted to fire it up. It is 60 degrees out today, and I thought it needs to run, even though I can't ride yet.

AMAZING! All this time just sitting there, with at least two weeks of hard freeze, it cranked and fired up, as it were summer and I just rode it yesterday. No charger on it or nothing else. Didn't even have to flood the bowl. I am blown away! I didn't expect that. To me it is stunning. What do you think? Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Start-up after Hard Freeze
Reply #1 - 02/12/11 at 11:39:27

Yup,.. I'm pretty amazed...  
...and the brokebutt just adds to the amazement... Grin...

I know that's not funny when it's your butt, but I couldn't resist... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 02/12/11 at 12:37:27

When I fell, I hit two steps in a row, full tilt and dead on with my tailbone. Surprisingly I got right back up and kept walking. My shoes were wet, and I didn't hit the step right with my foot, just with the heel and went off the edge of the step. Luckily I have a job that requires walking, not sitting, because I can't sit on almost anything, and seat on the bike is the worst by a mile! The best place is my car seat. Grin

What sux is, that riding season is coming up, darn! Embarrassed
It'll probably be another 3-4 weeks without riding...

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 02/12/11 at 12:43:18

BTW, that battery is about three years old, I don't know what brand it is. I bought it at AutoZone and was about 90 bux. It's gray body with black top and it is some sort of gel-cell battery. I know only one thing: This is one hell of a battery, I haven't looked at it again since I put it in about three years ago, and I don't own a trickle charger or charger in general. If I ever need a new one, I know what I'm getting! Wink

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #4 - 02/12/11 at 12:46:40

An 8" inner tube for a lawn tractor makes a great 'donut' to sit on. Cool

I'm not telling how I know. :'(

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 02/12/11 at 12:56:49

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 02/12/11 at 12:46:40:
An 8" inner tube for a lawn tractor makes a great 'donut' to sit on. Cool

I'm not telling how I know. :'(

How's that work on the Savage seat? Shocked

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/12/11 at 15:11:49

Bungee cords & duct tape. Smiley Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #7 - 02/12/11 at 15:19:53

Pretty good means you dont have any electrical shorts.  Thats the only reason i can see a battery dying without use.  Always thought battery tenders were stupid for simple bikes that shouldnt have any parasitic load.  Savages dont have clock radios or computers or remote starters or alarm systems that use up power ehen the vehicles not on so unless there is a short the battery should stay good for 1 or 2 years.  Had my bike in storage for about 2 mo without starting it and it still cranked hard when i tryed to start it.  It didnt start right away though i tried startin it in -4 degrees so gas doesnt like to vaporize too well in those temps.  My bike takes a bit to get started in sub 40 degrees.  

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 02/12/11 at 15:48:51

Coldest i ever rode was 10 degrees. That was last winter. She fired right up actually, with the choke half out. She cranked a tad slower than usual, but I think that's normal. My car cranks a little slower in that cold also.
I don't need the choke above 60 degrees. And from then on down, it's always half choke. I only tried full choke once, but it was way too much. It just started chugging and spitting out of the exhaust. And that's with a clean air filter and stock pilot jet and 2/3 spacer.

Still amazed about that battery, I mean it was sitting outside in the hard freeze for about 2 weeks, and then some in just above freezing.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 02/12/11 at 17:11:23

I usually charge mine half way through the winter last year for the fun I went 4 1/2 months it started right up.It is kept in the garage and never gets below 32 in the garage.It was 60 degrees when I started it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 02/16/11 at 17:41:18

Mine sits in the garage in the deep freeze of Wisconsin for months. I pulled the battery this year and am trickle charging it in the basement, while I do a bunch of other stuff to the bike. Hopefully it's all ready to go once the sun comes out again.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 02/16/11 at 21:14:50

Just a word of experience from an old man. Because of specific gravity and chemistry stuff I am not qualified to talk about, a charged battery should not freeze in reasonable temps. BUT if your battery doesn't work BE SURE to check that it's not frozen before you try to charge it. Charging a frozen battery produces spectacular results! And our frames are not that great, so exploding a battery in them surely won't help.  :'(

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:22:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Start-up after Hard Freeze

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.