Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
08 Sportster Muffler - re-jetting question (Read 262 times)
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
08 Sportster Muffler - re-jetting question
02/10/11 at 15:58:16

Does anyone know what is involved in replacing a 2007 s40 stock muffler with an 08 Harley sportster muffler?  ie any major modifications or special parts needed?

I did a search but got mixed results depending on the years of the bikes.   Huh

« Last Edit: 02/15/11 at 18:58:22 by BrettKeiselsbeard »  

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
MulletViper

Professional
Rivethead

Re: 08 Sportster Muffler
Reply #1 - 02/10/11 at 18:05:38

This should help walk you through the installation and what not.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1274566701

No major mods needed! A sportster muffler should slip right on after you have the stock cannon muffler off. I have an 05 with an HD screamin eagle muffler. I didn't need any modifications, just a muffler clamp and a segment of exhaust pipe* to extend the muffler past the rear brake cable. (*Not needed necessarily, but it peeved me) The mounts on the muffler didn't quite align how I wanted them so i bent a rectangular piece of metal and drilled two holes in it. I then attached it to the muffler and then to the existing muffler hanger. Fits perfect now!

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/10/11 at 18:47:22

Installation is do-able but specifics seem to vary most likely owing to the fact that everyone's got a different muffler to try. '08 may not work so well. I think HD has started putting cat's in their mufflers though i dont know when they started. But basically...
1 - get a dyna/sportster muffler with NO crossover and WITH a rail type mount. Get a muffler clamp.
2 - Take off your exhaust (the whole thing). Take off the heat sheild, loosen the clamp, and pull/pry/beat the stock cannon off.
3 - Sacrifice an aluminum can :
  a - Measure the circumference of the head pipe where the muffler will slip on.  Add a little to your measurement. 1/8 -1/4 inch extra should do. That measurement with the extra will be Y
  b - Measure the length from the lip on the head pipe to the end. This measurement will be Z.  
  c - Cut the top and bottom off of your can and cut the remaining tube down the middle so you've got a flat sheet.
  d - Cut your sheet so it measures Y x 2(or 3 or 4)Z.   e - Fold it up evenly so its Y x Z.
4 - Liberally slather hi-temp gasket maker (highest temp rating you can find) on one side of your aluminum can/sheet/strip. Liberally slather the same gasket maker on the inside diameter of the muffler where and to the approximate depth that it slides over the head pipe.
5 - Wrap/shape your aluminum strip around the end of the headpipe with the slathered side down so you can save some mess on your hands.
6 - While holding your strip/shim in place on the end of the head pipe as tightly as you can reasonably manage, slip the muffler on over the shim.
7 - While the gasket maker is still fresh bolt your exhaust back on to make sure your rail mount will line up with the muffler bracket. If it doesnt, turn the muffler until it does. You'll probably only be able to get one hole of the bracket to line up, and thats okay.
8 - Take the exhaust BACK off (i know, i know), and clamp your muffler in place. Wipe away excess gasket maker. Procure a bolt/nut for your rail & bracket mounting and throw the exhaust back on. You're done.

NOTE - I personally did not find it necessary to mount the muffler to the bracket. I did so initially and the nut for the mounting bolt ended up vibrating off somewhere along the line. The muffler didnt actually touch the bracket unless i had it bolted down.It just rested slightly above the bracket after the nut came loose. For a while i left it that way with no issues. I then installed intruder 800 shocks and the change in angles of the muffler vs. the bracket made the bracket useless for its primary intended purpose. I removed it and have been running without it for a while. No issues SO FAR. It could happen one day that my exhaust bolts snap off in the head or the threads in the head get ripped out. If it happens it serves me right but what im saying in a round about way is you CAN eliminate the muffler bracket AT YOUR OWN RISK.

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #3 - 02/10/11 at 18:53:00

Appreciate it MV. That is just what I was looking for. Total cost is quite low and I think I can handle this job now.  Now to decide if I should do it or not.    Roll Eyes

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/10/11 at 18:55:00

Be warned...if you sucessfully complete this mod you will not stop modding. Its gets costly and time consuming.

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #5 - 02/10/11 at 19:04:14

Time I have BurnPgh, money I do not. I enjoy doing the work on my bikes but so far it has been mostly maintenance/adjustments. I would like to think that this mod is for safety (louder=safer debate) but some have posted that the sportster is not much louder than stock, just deeper. Even if its a little louder, which is all I really want, I can convice myself to do it. Besides its lighter and looks way cool.  Cool

Thanks for responding!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 02/10/11 at 20:25:40

The Dyna looks sharp, gives a boost & loses some pounds. Sure otta rejet. No further mods needed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 02/11/11 at 12:33:17

The Dyna's are a bit easier to install.
------------------------------------------
Also,  if using a HD Sportster muffler, you should use an 2003 or older one for easier install.  

Reason??....  V-twins engines get best power with a exhaust cross-over pipe (just like car V-8 engines).  In 2004 Harley took the cross-over pipe from just under the carb (see pict below of my '86) to down below the engine.  In doing so, they made ports on the muffler for the pipe to fit.  To use an '04 and newer, you will need to plug that hole.   Not that hard to do..... it would just be easier to use the older models.

note the chrome pipe cross-over (actually a chrome cover) below the air cleaner.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #8 - 02/12/11 at 04:35:58

Well I bought the muffler in the link MF provided, part number 65747-94. It has the sliding bracket. The shipping was more $ than the muffler.  Grin  I will follow BurnPgh's instructions he layed out above (thanks BurnPgh). Just need to get the right clamp and some gasket maker.  I also plan to rejet, dont want to dissapoint JOG and just go halfway....but one step at a time.   Smiley

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #9 - 02/12/11 at 04:37:52

Thanks T-mack, b/c of your post I did not buy the 08 muffler and found the older one for less $. Mucho Gracias!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 02/12/11 at 08:48:54

BrettKeiselsbeard wrote on 02/12/11 at 04:35:58:
Well I bought the muffler in the link MF provided, part number 65747-94. It has the sliding bracket. The shipping was more $ than the muffler.  Grin  I will follow BurnPgh's instructions he layed out above (thanks BurnPgh). Just need to get the right clamp and some gasket maker.  I also plan to rejet, dont want to dissapoint JOG and just go halfway....but one step at a time.   Smiley

Got nothing to do with disappointing anyone. You change the way it breathes & its gonna be leaner. You Need to rejet, to keep the engine working inside its needed Air/Fuel ratio requirements.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #11 - 02/12/11 at 15:47:36

I have read different posts saying differnt things about requiring a re-jet if you change mufflers.  I also read that it depends upon which muffler you are changing to. I know the harley is less restrictive which changes the fuel/air requirements. A couple said rejetting is not necessarry but advisable, other said its a must and still another said only the idle/mixture needs to be adjusted. I dont pretend to know myself what is the best but the overall consensus is that a rejet is the way to go.  Besides, its not costly and there is good info on how to do it here with pics.  Wink

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #12 - 02/15/11 at 18:57:08

Best place to start for rejetting?

I am replacing the stock exhaust with a sportster. I understand I will need to rejet. There is a lot of info about it and each bike can behave differently so I am seeking a good place to start.

It is a 2007 s40. Only mod I have done is to drill out the idle mix plug and turn to 2.5 out. Only poots on shutdown now.

What I have found so far ....best place to start is the exhaust then the main jet to a 155 and 1/2 the spacer? This will help with the midrange?

Then i may need to re-adjust the drilled out idle mix screw?

Any comments are appreciated.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: 08 Sportster Muffler - re-jetting question
Reply #13 - 02/15/11 at 19:07:31

You don't reject the idle mixture screw,There is a low speed jet next to the High speed jet you will probably need to go richer with that one too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: 08 Sportster Muffler - re-jetting question
Reply #14 - 02/15/11 at 19:33:29

bill67 wrote on 02/15/11 at 19:07:31:
You don't reject the idle mixture screw,There is a low speed jet next to the High speed jet you will probably need to go richer with that one too.

Do Not reject the idle mix screw. It will get its feelings hurt & get all bent out of shape.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:19:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 08 Sportster Muffler - re-jetting question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.