Bobber Fenders? (Read 854 times)
buggs
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jefferson, Ohio
Re: Bobber Fenders?
Reply #15 - 02/11/11 at 13:18:20

I went with 2 trailer fenders cut in half welded back together and mounted to swing arm.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/11/11 at 13:49:31

Smokestack wrote on 02/11/11 at 12:49:07:
Looks good.  Not so good on the foot powered drive, though.  Hope ya got 'er fixed up!  Thanks fer the vid.

Smiley all fixed. Battery was dead that morning.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #17 - 02/15/11 at 13:08:12

Here's a thread i did for my bobber project: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1248802832/0.
it documents the how and why for a trailer fender i put on it. lots of words, but some good pics too.

here's a more recent iteration using the stock rear fender from an xs650:

the trailer fender cost about $15 plus paint and supplies and such. the xs650 fender was free from a friend who is building a hardtail. old chrome jap bike fenders are cheap and abundant at some shops and ebay. both these required a decent amount of cutting, drilling, and sometimes hammering  Grin. they both need to sit up off of the tire a bit to keep from scraping over bumps, but the xs looks better because it has more of a curved shape.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
ocdave
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/15/11 at 15:32:24

Groupus that's a sweet looking ride. I just picked an old Japanese bike fender from a salvage yard myself for my bobber project. I hope it turns out as well as yours did.

Can you give me a close up pic or tell me how your bullet turn signals are mounted? that is going to be my next fabrication.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #19 - 02/15/11 at 19:38:00

well thank ya.
Its a clever little ditty i made with a piece of angle iron to act as a seat mount and turn signal bracket. flattened it a bit to be greater than 90 degrees, cut down the center of the V on the ends, splayed them out and drilled holes for mounting to the stock seat tabs and for signals. I can't give you any specific direction or measurements, i pretty much figured it out as i went along  Cheesy

and yes, a rather large hammer was used.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 02/15/11 at 19:46:20

buggs wrote on 02/11/11 at 13:18:20:
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2011/02/11%5Cbikepics-2150048-200.jpg I went with 2 trailer fenders cut in half welded back together and mounted to swing arm.

I keep reading it & keep reading it. The way I do math, it looks like not cutting it woulda meant not needin to weld it,, OHH, but wheres the fun in that???

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #21 - 02/16/11 at 08:17:47

Drooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gobsmackingly BEAUTIFUL!!  ... a set of "Z" bars would set that right off! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #22 - 02/16/11 at 18:08:20

Thanks Perry. I would really like to get some z bars or something like that when i got some spare change. Also have fork gaiters to put on.

that fender's chrome is a little pitted and such, but i like the shiny  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #23 - 05/04/11 at 01:32:04

groupus wrote on 02/15/11 at 19:38:00:
well thank ya.
Its a clever little ditty i made with a piece of angle iron to act as a seat mount and turn signal bracket. flattened it a bit to be greater than 90 degrees, cut down the center of the V on the ends, splayed them out and drilled holes for mounting to the stock seat tabs and for signals. I can't give you any specific direction or measurements, i pretty much figured it out as i went along  Cheesy
and yes, a rather large hammer was used.

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C07%5C09%5Cbikepics-2015766-full.jpg

So groupus, your seat/signal mount isn't welded to the frame, only bolted to the stock seat mounts?

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
BC-Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/04/11 at 12:32:07

very nice.
If i keep looking at all these clean savages, i might have to loose the stock air box on Bobby Onelung.... Huh

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #25 - 05/04/11 at 18:45:08

groupus wrote on 02/15/11 at 19:38:00:
So groupus, your seat/signal mount isn't welded to the frame, only bolted to the stock seat mounts?

nope, not welded. the bolts go through the bracket and into nuts. it rests on the frame rails but i did put strips of 3M double sided tape between it to pad it/hold things tight. works great and hasn't failed in about a year/3000 miles.
welding would be better, but everything on mine is bolt on/reversible to stock.

and BC-Savage, I put the airbox back on shortly after this b/c I couldn't get the tuning straight. I still love the look even with it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:15:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bobber Fenders?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.