kick start (Read 907 times)
Rhyno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenwood, IN
Re: kick start
Reply #30 - 10/17/12 at 18:58:57

kick start, push start , pull start , lol hell i would just be happy for it TO START.

IP Logged
javajunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Topeka, KS
Reply #31 - 10/18/12 at 00:35:09

Rhyno wrote on 10/17/12 at 18:58:57:
kick start, push start , pull start , lol hell i would just be happy for it TO START.

+1  Grin

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 10/18/12 at 01:17:56

The 1901 Crestmobile single cylinder car used a belt pull start.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #33 - 10/18/12 at 05:02:29

It's been some years, but I watched a couple of "old guys" start a John Deere Model "A" at a farm sale. Each cylinder has a petcock on the bottom, which they opened and which served as decompressors. They set the engine controls for starting. They then turned over the engine by manually turning the external flywheel. The one on the flywheel side closed that petcock and the engine lit off running on one cylinder. The guy on the clutch side then closed the other petcock, and Behold! it ran.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #34 - 10/18/12 at 20:20:56

Charon wrote on 10/18/12 at 05:02:29:
It's been some years, but I watched a couple of "old guys" start a John Deere Model "A" at a farm sale. Each cylinder has a petcock on the bottom, which they opened and which served as decompressors. They set the engine controls for starting. They then turned over the engine by manually turning the external flywheel. The one on the flywheel side closed that petcock and the engine lit off running on one cylinder. The guy on the clutch side then closed the other petcock, and Behold! it ran.

Hey, my uncle had a Johny Popper like that on his ranch! Smiley

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #35 - 10/19/12 at 05:36:06

My xs650 was kickstart only for about 6 months during last winter and I had a couple of mornings where I had to kickstart it quite a bit.
Let's just put it this way - a year later I can still get pain in my knee on the kickstart leg if I go for a long walk/hike - as a direct result.
Would have thought kickstarting a single 600 would really give you knee ligaments some issues sooner or later.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #36 - 10/19/12 at 06:18:44

The look of an engine with a kick start and push rod towers is sublime.  However, kick starting a 650 single needs a decomp for sure.  and as  mentioned, you'd have to go old school electronically if youre looking to eliminated battery.  Keep us posted if you proceed, it's gonna be a long winter if the NHL doesn't bother this year.

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #37 - 10/19/12 at 11:36:00

I had a 77 Yamaha XT500   modified( overbore  hi-compression piston, perf cam, carb, exhaust....etc)   back in the day   this was a kick start   loved it   would never strand ya   although it had a compression release lever   I (intentionally) felt the kickback   and it could be brutal   I would welcome it again    and without accesories, wouldn't our bikes make due just fine with a magneto   like a competition enduro I had    just to run head/tail lights  and turn signals     today's vehicles are becoming problematic with these safety features( clutch/kickstand on ours)  that cause more problems than I think they're worth   I've had problems with my GM passlock feature (2005 Saturn)  and my mom just got stranded with a 2011 Kia(brake switch)  I don"t want any of these types of circuits on my vehicles

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 10/19/12 at 21:03:34

Im waiting for the seatbelt/ignition interlock,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #39 - 10/19/12 at 21:25:58

Back in the day, I put 25,000 miles on a 1975 Suzuki GT750 (two-stroke triple) and 50,000 miles on a 1977 Yamaha XS750D (four-stroke triple).  Both had kick starters and electric starters.

I used the kick starters almost exclusively.  If it took more than one kick to start, hot or cold, this meant that the bike needed a tune-up.

It was pretty easy to kick them through, AFAIR, but, I was quite a bit younger then, too.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #40 - 10/19/12 at 22:52:33

I dented a buddies tin patio roof,.. kick starting a Cushman scooter once...

I tell you what,.. you bounce off a roof a couple of times, and you lose all enthusiasm for kick bikes...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 10/19/12 at 23:02:31

I just gotta know why ya had the scooter on the roof,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #42 - 10/19/12 at 23:39:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/19/12 at 23:02:31:
I just gotta know why ya had the scooter on the roof,,

Scoot was on the patio... I was 16, and a 110lbs,.. it jacked me into the roof...
Wasn't even my bike...  60's model Cushman,..
...foot clutch, stick shift... I just had to ride it....
Monster kickback on the start...
After ricocheting off the ceiling, twice,... I finally did get it started, and did two scary laps around the trailer park...
Those old scooters were scary fast for the wheel size, weight, and handling...  felt like riding a 40 gallon water heater down a ski slope...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 10/19/12 at 23:41:16

felt like riding a 40 gallon water heater down a ski slope...

Sounds like a good way to get into hot water,, but, ya done paid the price to get it goin,, mite as well ride!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #44 - 10/21/12 at 08:33:40

Interesting, about the Cushman scooters. I never owned one, but rode several different ones, off and on, and never once had one kick back. I never got the chance to ride the later ones after OMC took over and redesigned the engine.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:32:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › kick start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.