kick start (Read 907 times)
thespot413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WMASS, MA
kick start
02/06/11 at 13:00:46

Ive been messing around with the idea of turning my bike into a kick start. I had  67 BSA and loved the fact that i had to kick it over every time i got on her. Anyone have any experience/any idea how much it would suck?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: kick start
Reply #1 - 02/06/11 at 13:16:26

I too enjoy the old kickstart motorcycles.  I have kick started 750cc twins, no problem but in those old twins each cylinder was much smaller than the one big cylinder on the S40 and only one was in its' compression cycle on each revolution.

I am no expert on the S40 but from what I have read it would be a major job to kick start it.  With that one big 650cc piston in compression it would be roughly twice as hard as kicking over a sixties vintage 650 cc Triumph Bonneville (well almost, the Bonnie had higher compression).

If you make some sort of conversion I would certainly like to read about it.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 02/06/11 at 13:54:48

my old gn400 was a kick start, if you didn't do it properly it would send you over the handlebars or sprain  an ankle,  kick start, yeah right, lets bring back the crank start auto's.   Cool

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/06/11 at 14:25:25

thespot413 wrote on 02/06/11 at 13:00:46:
Ive been messing around with the idea of turning my bike into a kick start. I had  67 BSA and loved the fact that i had to kick it over every time i got on her. Anyone have any experience/any idea how much it would suck?

Oh yeah, there's a great mod.  search back a couple of years and you might find it.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 02/06/11 at 14:30:03

Two strokes were easy to kick over,Almost like there was nothing there.I'm talking about twins and triples.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 02/06/11 at 14:53:40

My first bike, a1937 Enfield 500 single had a compression release that opened the exhaust valves to kick it over. Helped a lot but it could still give you a sore foot. It was a hand lever under the clutch lever.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 02/06/11 at 18:11:09

Just hang the kicker off the left cover over the stator and put the driven gear on the end of the crank on top of the stator nut. You should be able to go in through the inspection port in the middle of the left side cover. Hook up a push button on the handle bar that goes to the decomp relay and you should be ready to break an ankle. It should be a pretty easy job if you can find the right parts but that's what they said about building the Panama Canal. You will still need a battery to fire the ignition during starting.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #7 - 02/06/11 at 18:22:24

Ed L. wrote on 02/06/11 at 18:11:09:
Just hang the kicker off the left cover over the stator and put the driven gear on the end of the crank on top of the stator nut. You should be able to go in through the inspection port in the middle of the left side cover. Hook up a push button on the handle bar that goes to the decomp relay and you should be ready to break an ankle. It should be a pretty easy job if you can find the right parts but that's what they said about building the Panama Canal. You will still need a battery to fire the ignition during starting.    

Just switch over to a magneto ignition from a large lawnmower and you won't need a battery either!!  or instead of a kick start you could make it into a pull start.. that'd be pretty cool.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 02/06/11 at 18:32:58

A pull start Savage Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin LOL

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/06/11 at 18:59:35

Pull start?
I can barely run forwards, you want me to run backwards?

WWW   IP Logged
thespot413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WMASS, MA
Reply #10 - 02/07/11 at 09:15:09

That pull start idea is epic. I better start working out though. Maybe once the bikes back together this time around, cant have it in pieces when the warm weather hits.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 02/07/11 at 09:26:29

Theres no kick start add on this engine. Simply not gonna happen.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 02/07/11 at 09:39:12

If my S40 wouldn't turn over the engine I would kick it for sure.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/07/11 at 14:31:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/07/11 at 09:26:29:
Theres no kick start add on this engine. Simply not gonna happen.

Actually, it can happen. You start at the starter mount. A few folks have done this with EVO sportsters, they were never made to use a kick start.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #14 - 02/07/11 at 14:44:59

How about old school racing bump start?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print