Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question about engine (Read 97 times)
sbaugz
Ex Member

question about engine
01/28/11 at 13:48:17

I have what probably sounds like a stupid question. I am going to remove the clutch cover and the generator covers so that I may send off for powder coating. I have two gaskets on order. Is there anything (tips, tricks) to taking care of this job? I assume I drain oil, remove the covers and get them powder coated. I was just wondering if there is anything else that needs to be replaced after taking these covers off, or if there are any other gaskets down inside there that need to be replaced.
Thanks.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: question about engine
Reply #1 - 01/28/11 at 14:18:43

Mask off all the mating surfaces and the inside of the covers. That would include the oil filter cavity, the back of the oil filter cover and the oil level window. There are oil passages inside the covers you don't want clogged with either blasting media or powder coating. Don't leave the round inspection cover in or you'll never get it out. In fact, you might consider leaving it uncoated since the powder coating will make the slot narrower, and when you try to tighten or loosen it, you'll chip the powder coating.

Also, while your covers are being done, get yourself some washers for the cover bolts. Even though the bolts have flanged heads, they will gouge up the powder coating when you tighten them.

Oh, and if your powder coating guy is good, he'll put tiny plugs in all your bolt holes so you won't need to open them back up.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 01/28/11 at 18:50:40

remember that certain machine screws, bolts thread into nuts, machine screws thread into a part, on the side cover have rubberized washers under them and renew them for a leak free job w/anew gasket. I usually order a package of 10 or 2 packs at a time so I always have some on hand for the side and cam cover. Hate to wait a week for a simple part like that.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/28/11 at 19:58:28

Thanks for the advice. Where do i get the rubberized washers needed?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/28/11 at 23:58:08

Just go to the dealership, unless youve got a real easy to deal with online source.
They arent cheal, seems theres only 3 needed on the clutch side, IDK about the other, but theyll run again, anyway.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:21:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › question about engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.