Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Seats? (Read 317 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Seats?
01/26/11 at 06:59:46

What year did Suzuki switch seat designs, the early ones had terrible seats hard on the tailbone....are the new style seats more comfortable, will the old and new style interchange? Is the gel seat worth the money?

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Re: Seats?
Reply #1 - 01/26/11 at 08:35:46

I thought thy switched from a 2 piece to a 1 piece seat when it stopped being the savage. 2004 or 5 i think

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 01/26/11 at 08:50:57

Drifter wrote on 01/26/11 at 06:59:46:
What year did Suzuki switch seat designs, the early ones had terrible seats hard on the tailbone....are the new style seats more comfortable, will the old and new style interchange? Is the gel seat worth the money?  

I bought a Suzuki gel seat and road for 1 year with it,Put the stock seat back on and like it better. I have and 06 with the one piece seat.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #3 - 01/26/11 at 13:16:23

I've got the newer model with 2 cushions (not connected) and they are 10 times more comfortable than the older style. Not sure what year though, had to be late 90's bc mines a 96 and had the old style seats.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/26/11 at 14:22:04

the new seat is a single peice. The old seat is the two peice tail bone pusher. The single peice seat is better but not by much. I had good results with the "diamond jim seat mod". Im hoping to have better results with a sportster seat which has directions in the tech section.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #5 - 01/26/11 at 14:56:31

I am running the corbin seat and I love it.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #6 - 01/26/11 at 15:12:11

sportster seat is a little better but not by much. I like the way it looks better than the stock seat but I still need to get off the bike every hour or so. Still looking for the perfect seat. Maybe the corbin.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #7 - 01/26/11 at 19:25:06

My bike is an 09 and I still have the stock seat. I definetly like it better than the seat I had on my Rebel. Smiley kim

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 01/27/11 at 04:00:54

Get the Corbin- you will be glad you spent the money.
Just don't keep your wallet in your hip pocket- the first time I rode with it I had the wallet in my hip pocket and wound up with a sore bum- it fits that well!

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/27/11 at 06:27:50

Will the newer seat fit on a bike that came with a 2 piece seat?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 01/27/11 at 14:54:10

Yes, it "fits" fine, but the older models have a bracket on the fender (the old pillion slips under) that the newer models don't have.  Can't remember if that has to be cut off or not, I don't think so.  And the newer model seats have a bracket/tab on the very back end to bolt to the fender, where the older models don't have the screw hole for this to happen.  But the 2 side bolts under the front of the seat are the same position, and hold the seat just fine, I think I remember most folks saying.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/28/11 at 14:27:34

I picked up a gell seat for a sportster, made a little wooden box to support the front of the seat.  It is better than the stock but still not 'there' yet.  I think I need to raise the front up a little more.
In rtetrospect, I think I would unstaple the stock vinyl and modify the foam first, I think that is the Diamond Jim mod.  I believe the concensus is better foam shape first before thickness.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #12 - 01/28/11 at 15:03:58

I still have my stock seat(2005). Before I got the sportster seat, I tried re-shaping the foam on the stock seat. I think i took too much off. At some point I might try to replace some of the missing foam with either gel or memory foam. Here's what it looked like after i screwed it up.

For comparison here's a picture of a 2005 stock seat that hasn't been butchered by me.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 01/28/11 at 16:48:32

I butchered mine a bit too, so you aren't alone.  I cut a space out of the foam the size of the Saddlemen Raw Gel that I bought, inserted it, and put the cover back on.  Still looked basically stock, with a little more cush.  But it still didn't have the look I wanted, so I bought a Mustang seat for an older model Ironhead, I think.  Shape looked the same in pictures!  haha  But the pan and the bend it has was so different, I couldn't figure out a way to modify it to fit.  So I took my stock seat pan, removed everything from it, and removed the cover and padding from the Ironhead seat and transferred it all to my pan.  Ended up paying an upholstery guy like $50 to put it all back together.  We also used my raw gel in it.  Its definitely more comfortable now, and looks more like I was going for.  Its still a little humped, which he thought would relax in time.  It has relaxed some, but still a little humpy.  If it doesn't relax any more this season, I might open it up again.

Point is, Drifter, figure out what you want and make it happen!

Oh, and an electric carving knife (like for carving turkey or ham) works great at carving foam.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #14 - 01/28/11 at 17:32:14

I was getting ready to post a report on a comfort mod I had done on my seat. guess here is a good spot for it.
My recently acquired '96 was giving me the same pain in the tailbone, Drifter. Couldn't tolerate more than an hour on the bike at a time. The only other one I've had that even came close to this was a DR650. Spent as much time standing on the pegs as sitting. Tongue
I have had a couple of bikes that came with Corbin seats and they were good saddles for the long haul. Considering what I paid for the Savage, it would be hard to justify spending 1/3 the price of the bike on a seat!
Taking the recommendation of a friend, I took a chance on this guy hoping for a reasonably priced solution.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
I still haven't been able to give it a true work out because of the weather, but my initial impression is very positive. What was done (see the page for details about what Spencer does) along with a sheepskin pad may be my lower cost comfort solution.
I could not find any previous posts about this guy among searches about seat mods, but if this is singing an old song, sorry about that.
A long ride evaluation will come when we get a break in the weather.

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:28:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seats?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.