Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to get better mileage? (Read 331 times)
sexombob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How to get better mileage?
01/24/11 at 22:26:37

The bike's in storage at the moment due to the snow and ice on the road.  However, when i was riding during the summer and fall, i noticed that the bike got pretty bad mileage.  Everything on her is stock.  I do most of my riding in the city so im usually cruising around on second and third gear at around 30-40mph.  Riding like that, i get around 35mpg give or take.  

Is there anyway to improve my mileage?

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: How to get better mileage?
Reply #1 - 01/24/11 at 22:31:57

Try 3rd and 4th lower the rpms. Check the spark plug and clean the carb.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #2 - 01/25/11 at 14:21:48

how much do you weigh?  I'm like 240lbs which is over half the weight of the bike I"m sure that hurts my mileage.. working on losing about 50lbs...

Also try a fairing, retuning your carb, make sure there are no gas leaks, replace belt with a chain overdrive, new spark plug, new low viscosity oil, lower rolling resistance tires.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #3 - 01/25/11 at 16:18:42

I weigh 350 pounds, and regularly get 48-50 mpg on the Flea Flicker.  I would suggest that there is something wrong.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/25/11 at 16:36:26

I can get better than 49 MPG, but I have to not smile as much.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #5 - 01/26/11 at 07:09:15

while you can lose some mpgs due to mechanical problems, the biggest factor is how you ride.

take off a bit slower, keep the engine in the lower rpm range, coast more down hills, etc will get you a bunch more miles for each tank.

that being said, if everything IS stock, make sure it is maintained. i gained 3-5 mpg from adjusting the valves. make sure your carb is tuned correctly. see if your idle speed is too high (but you don't want it too LOW either, as you need to maintain oil pressure).

make sure there are no exhaust leaks or gas leaks...

you could also do a compression test on the cylinder head to make sure it is in sound shape.

aerodynamics come into play a lot on motorcycles. wearing leathers (or at least not clothes/jackets that flap in the wind) will help. taking off saddle bags will help too.

i'm going to go ahead and say that if you a TRYING to get good mpg and not riding at 70-80mph, then you should look at the more maintenance/mechanical culprits (carb, exhaust, valves, etc).

oh, and as a pretty in depth way of getting more gas mileage, like James May said, converting from a belt to a chain drive with the right ratio will make it more fuel efficient (but you'll lose off-the-line acceleration).

now, keep in mind this is coming from someone who rides like a bat out of hell and gets closer to 30 mpg because of it, with a cone air filter, rejetted carb, and jardine exhaust. for me, the thrills of speed are worth more than a dollar or two in gas, but not everyone shares the same paradigm  Grin

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #6 - 01/26/11 at 08:21:36

I think it depends on how often you ride too.  If its a 30 mile commute to work every day thats 60mi round trip and 300mi a week.  The difference between 35 and 55 mpg is 8.5galons vs 5.5gaa difference of 3 ga or about 9$ a week or 500$ a year in gas.  However if you only put a few thousand miles a year on your bike it would be closer to 57 ga form 2000mi a year(40mi per week) and 36 ga a 21 ga difference over a year costing 60$ more a year or a bit more than 1$ a week.  

Its also interesting to note that looking at it as a weekly or yearly cost based on miles traveled the difference between say 10 and 20mpg in money savings is greater than that between 20 and 40mpg.  If you drive 20k mi a year 10mpg costs 6,000$ at 20mpg it costs 3000$ and 40mpg costs 1500$.   Note that you save 3000$ by going from a 10mpg car to a 20mpg car, but only save 1500$ by going from 20mpg to 40mpg.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/26/11 at 14:36:51

if everything is actually stock you should be getting way better mileage. Adjust your valves, check the jets in your carb to make certain that someone didnt decide to richen it up without any clue what they were doing.
If you're certain on the above, do a compression check
If compression is good switch to the next heat range on the plug. If that doesnt make any difference check your ignition system from the plug back. You may be getting a weak spark even if it looks good. Might not be getting a good burn.

IP Logged
MrThud
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brisbane, Australia
Reply #8 - 01/26/11 at 19:43:09

The very first thing I would do is check to make sure the air filter is clean, as a blocked/dirty filter will richen your mixture and reduce the miles you get per gallon.
That is a simple/quick/cheap thing to do.

As mentioned above then, carb mixture would be the next suspect.
But if it is running very rich there will probably be evidence in the sooted up spark plug and sooted exhaust pipe. If those look normal then the mixture and airfilter are probably not at fault and I dont think you should start adjusting. (That said carb adjustments are straight forward if you have the manual and ideally also a vacume guage). Note: if you decide you want to adjust the carb mixture then make sure you do value adjustment and new plug first.

Incorrect valve adjustment can of course also contribute to performance and your MPG as mentioned.

Poor spark can also contribute. This would be evident from a wet plug and perhaps an easy indicator of an electrics problem being the culprit may be low voltage at the battery when running. But just check you have the correct plug fitted and if its suspect then its real cheap to replace it.

Simple stuff like lookiing for carb float overflow and associated heavy petrol smell (and drips) from the carb, would be another place to look. (Heh also make sure your coke isnt still partially on or something!)

So then if still nothing obvious from above, look at accelerating a little slower..and using a quality cleaner higher octane fuel.
BTW I definitely would not reccommend coasting down hills to save petrol.
Yes, you may well use less petrol, but you have far less control over your bike and its better to spend a few more bucks on petrol than spend a few months in hospital..
(Note..you would fail your bike test if they see you coasting.. and that is for good reason).

But as we agree there are many things that can contribute to poor MPG, so if you what to get the very best out of your bike then you need to address them all..
(Even low tyre pressure contributes to unneccessary extra fuel consumption!).

« Last Edit: 01/27/11 at 00:29:33 by MrThud »  
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 01/26/11 at 19:51:01

How about a little more info:
History on your savage
History on the mileage - has it always been this bad? is this the first time it's been checked by you? etc.
How do you know the MC is stock?
How did you check the mileage? Multiple tanks of gas with the gas quantities added up and then mileage from beginning to end (a few hundred miles at least?) Or is this a tank by tank measurement?

Bottom line there's something wrong if this is your average mileage unless you do a lot of idling without moving compared to moving.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 01/27/11 at 00:10:51

Push it!

IP Logged
sexombob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/27/11 at 08:58:53

mornhm - FSO wrote on 01/26/11 at 19:51:01:
How about a little more info:
History on your savage
History on the mileage - has it always been this bad? is this the first time it's been checked by you? etc.
How do you know the MC is stock?
How did you check the mileage? Multiple tanks of gas with the gas quantities added up and then mileage from beginning to end (a few hundred miles at least?) Or is this a tank by tank measurement?

Bottom line there's something wrong if this is your average mileage unless you do a lot of idling without moving compared to moving.

About 10k miles on the bike.  Purchased it this summer and have ridden it about 1k miles.  I changed the spark plug, the old plug was all rusted and the ceramic was very dark.  The previous owner assured me that its all stock, so i assume it is, but i will check the air filter and the jets.  I checked the mileage by entering my info into Fuelly.com every time i fill up.  

Btw i do ride aggressively so that may be a big part of it, but i still think i should get a little better mpg, maybe.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 01/27/11 at 09:42:39

If you dont give it a chance to loaf along in high gear, you wont be getting 45 MPG. Engine rotations vs rear wheel rotations determine it. Coupled with aggressive riding style, yea, gonna get crummy MPG.
Max MPG is at the lowest speed the engine is running freely( not lugging) in 5th gear.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 01/27/11 at 14:57:47

I do think you should be getting a lot better mileage. I am fairly liberal with the twisty thing, but when I had my savage it got 52 mpg under all conditions (I kept track of all my mileage). It was obviously worse in town, worse in winter, but no where near as bad as what you describe.

Check to see if it is running rich.
Check the adjustment of the enrichener (choke).
Check the adjustment of your idle.

Like you said check the jets.
Is the muffler rusted through?
Has the brass plug been drilled?
Other than the mileage is it running well?
In stock form, the Savage runs lean when running down the road, if the brass plug is drilled it may not be idling lean, but if not, you should be experiencing some "popping."

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 01/27/11 at 23:02:48

Put a taller rear tire on it, so youll be goin downhill everywhere ya go.
Otta be good for a few MPG, wouldntchyathink?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:19:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to get better mileage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.