Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fiberglass seat, installed! (Read 359 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fiberglass seat, installed!
01/21/11 at 08:37:23

Well the design that I had been using, that worked so well, didn’t. I rebuilt it using steel in all the important mounting areas and it failed to spring…at all! “???” I went back to my original and took a closer look and found that it was failing in numerous locations. It appears that it was giving a softer ride as it was breaking down under my butt.
New design! All the mounting points are steel and my fiberglass is reinforced with extra layers at all the key points. I used the same concept of a base mounted to the frame, and a long thin tongue that mounts to the seat. The difference is that I now have third piece sandwiched between the other two. This third piece is a fiberglass spring formed around a PVC pipe nipple. The overall stiffness of the ride is based on the thickness (number of plys) of fiberglass in the spring. I have found that you can ‘fine tune’ the   ride by replacing the PVC pipe nipple with a like sized section of fuel line or steel pipe.

I currently have about 400 miles on it and it is getting the job done. That’s why I went ahead and painted it.
The ride is different. You have a bit of roll from side to side due to the narrow tongue, but not enough to feel out of control in any way. The main difference is a bit hard to explain. Most bike seats deliver the jolt from the road up through the frame into your spine, and add some padding in between. With this set up there seems to be a very slight lag between the jolt that you feel in your feet and hands and movement of your butt down into the seat. This delay seems to cancel out the road bumps and holes. This happens very fast and I’m not sure what is happening, but there is no visible wear on the seat pan. I think that the frame is delivering the jolt to the front of the seat pan and the tongue is acting like a lever which has to catch up.  My first solo seat was just a hard pan of fiberglass, but even without foam the ride was a vast improvement on my back. I am including pictures of my new seat. It’s bigger and has a bit of back support. The seat is still just at the foam stage. I’m still playing with the design so no cover yet.

So! What do you think?

« Last Edit: 01/27/11 at 15:23:23 by JohnBoy »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fiberglass spring seat, round two!
Reply #1 - 01/21/11 at 09:48:25

Hey, dont ask me. I thot the first design was the berries.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/21/11 at 09:48:48

looks good
how did you form the pan?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 01/21/11 at 09:49:08

Well, I must say you are persistent!   Wink
And more impressive with each new "try".  I have no doubt that you will eventually make the exact seat you want and need.  Great job!  And thanks for keeping us posted.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #4 - 01/21/11 at 10:06:52

Seat mods can be great. Single saddles look real neat. I've always been able to use Tylonal to solve my seat problems. Soooo, if all else fails. best of luck on the project.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/21/11 at 11:44:55

buttgoat1 wrote on 01/21/11 at 09:48:48:
looks good

I made the seat pan from 3\16th plywood with a couple of layers of fiberglass top and bottom. The plywood/fiberglass seat has a simple curve front to back. The foam is cut from a five dollar exercise mat I got at Walmarts. The foam is several layers of 1/2 inch thick high density foam glued together with 3M contact cement. I have two layers in the back and up to five in the seat horn. Shaping is acually very simple. I used a short Surform (cheese grater) rasp and a flapwheel sander drum attached to my dremel tool. If you screw it up, reach for more glue and foam! My final foam thickness ( at this time ) is about 5/8 inch at the back and gets thicker as you move forward.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/24/11 at 18:34:31

JohnBoy wrote on 01/21/11 at 11:44:55:
buttgoat1 wrote on 01/21/11 at 09:48:48:
looks good

I made the seat pan from 3\16th plywood with a couple of layers of fiberglass top and bottom. The plywood/fiberglass seat has a simple curve front to back. The foam is cut from a five dollar exercise mat I got at Walmarts. The foam is several layers of 1/2 inch thick high density foam glued together with 3M contact cement. I have two layers in the back and up to five in the seat horn. Shaping is acually very simple. I used a short Surform (cheese grater) rasp and a flapwheel sander drum attached to my dremel tool. If you screw it up, reach for more glue and foam! My final foam thickness ( at this time ) is about 5/8 inch at the back and gets thicker as you move forward.

Afer a frustrating evening trying to sew, I turned it over to a pro. I can't mount it yet, because I still have a clutch cable on the way.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: Fiberglass spring seat, complete!
Reply #7 - 01/24/11 at 18:48:13

You cant beat that for lookin good. What kinda $$ was a deal like that, if ya dont mind me asking.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/24/11 at 20:02:59

He added a little foam and charged me 60.00 turn around was 48 hours.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 01/24/11 at 20:09:37

Id say y0u got treated well.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 01/25/11 at 05:21:53

JohnBoy wrote on 01/24/11 at 20:02:59:
He added a little foam and charged me 60.00 turn around was 48 hours.

Nice!  I sew and that looks like a royal pain to sew, so I think you got a great deal!  Although, it looks so good, it was probably so easy for him, he thinks he got a deal too.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #11 - 01/25/11 at 11:06:39

That is one nice looking seat. Great job on it. It looks like it will give you many hrs of comfy riding.
When do you plan to get it on the bike and give it a try out? Smiley kim

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 01/25/11 at 11:45:30

Hey byGumby!... That looks good!...
Nice work... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #13 - 01/25/11 at 14:13:13

Looks good. Shucks, that might even beat 2 Tylenol. Waiting for picts of the finished bile.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/27/11 at 15:21:53

Some of you ask to see the seat mounted. Well I finally got the clutch cable in and installed today, so here is what the final pictures look like.
Now to replace that silly passenger pillion and tail light! Then I can finally paint the rear fender...been a year now!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:26:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fiberglass seat, installed!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.