Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
chain conversion question for 87 4spd savage (Read 134 times)
4drcaddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

chain conversion question for 87 4spd savage
01/16/11 at 20:23:32

i did all the reading on this site about the chain conversion but wanted to know a good number of teeth for front and rear  sprocket for a 4spd bike? i am looking for close to stock maybe a little more on highway? i am working on a savage bobber that is extended 10"(haha i am 6'4") and i nedd to order front rear and chain, please help.

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Re: chain conversion question for 87 4spd savage
Reply #1 - 01/17/11 at 20:38:20

Not sure i think the final drive ratio is around 3 to 1.  Thats 23 and 68 on the stock savage final drive i think  Or something like that.  You csn count the teeth on the sprockets to find out for sure.  Too bad the bike doesnt have a tach.   You could go out and do some experimenting to figure Out what you like.  Just remember that for increase in speed you get an equal decrease in torque.  So your off the line performamce suffers.

Heres a link with it all layEd out
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1174239333/7#7

Looks like a 17 and 43 or 45 can give a decent decrease in rpms.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
4drcaddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/18/11 at 17:14:33

unless i am confused they were saying that 17 and 43 or 45 were for the 5spd bikes, with mine being a 4spd should i go with a 17 and 50 or 52. as i said i am not looking for 1/4 mile launches off the line. would like to cruise highway at 70 or 75 at a decent rpm, but i also don't want to be killing the clutch from a start
    i can't put them on and test ride as the bike is torn down and i need to buy the sprocket conversion to continue with buildingthe back end of the bike so i want to get something close to start with

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #3 - 01/19/11 at 06:14:58

Ut depends on your pulleys not on your transmision.  As long as you have the same ratio pulleys as the ones on the 5 speed it will give you the same %age increase or decrease in speed.  I think your going the wrong way with a 50 tooth gear.  You want a lower ratio for more speed a higher ratio for more torque.  At 17 and 50 youd have a 2.94 ratio which is about stock for a 5 speed and if the 4 speed has the same pulleys it will not change your speed at all.  A 52 gear would be a 3.06 and would actually increase your rpms at speed.  If you want to make sure count the teeth on the front and rear pulley and divid.  This is your finak drive ratio.  Say you want to get a 10% reduction in rpms then take that number and multiply by 0.90.  This is your new desired ratio.   Using a combination of the front gear 14-17 and tge back gear 40-60.  Find a combination that meets the ratio requirement.

james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #4 - 01/19/11 at 06:42:59

Did some digging and the pulleys are the same by compairing part numbers from an 87 and a 96.  So 17 and 50 or 52 will not help at all.  Stock ratio is 2.96.  10% lower rpm would be 2.66. Which can roughly be achieved by a 15 and a 40 or a 17 and a 45.  If you desire a lesser or greater percentage change just do the math as stated above.

4drcaddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/19/11 at 14:06:41

james may wrote on 01/19/11 at 06:14:58:
Ut depends on your pulleys not on your transmision.

as soon as i read this i wanted to smack myself. my brain must be on timeout or something. thank you very much for digging to check part numbers and giving me the calculations to check ratios. very cool of you , thanks again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain conversion question for 87 4spd savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.