Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
WTF?!?!?! NOT RESOLVED..... (Read 902 times)
logan31907

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF?!?!?! NOT RESOLVED.....
01/14/11 at 10:13:13

WTF?????.....

I accidentally left the choke on and drove for about 5miles and the bike died on me again. I put the choke back, and it wouldn't start. So I put the fuel switch on the "prime" position and it started up. I drove a mile with it like that, then put the switch back to "on"....it then puttered and sounded like it was misfiring (I'd rev the throttle but it wouldn't rev like it was supposed to). Then it died. So I put the switch back to "prime" and it runs fine in that position. Its doing the same thing like before. What gives??????  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------
RESOLVED final update:

So I've never had to put gas in my bike ever since I got it.  I ran it empty last nite and then filled up my tank with 93 octane just to see what would happen. I put the fuel switch back to the normal "on" position and it now runs great! I came to the conclusion that the previous owner must have put or left old gas in the tank.    

Thanks for everyones help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------
OP:

Hey all...I have to constantly put my bike on the trickle charge. I charged my battery completely last night and then when I was riding to work, it died on me. This has
happened twice now. Is the problem the stator?  

----------------------------------

UPDATE2: so I checked all the connections and used my multimeter to check it all out and everything came out good. I just replaced the battery with a Big Crank and started it up (I had to turn the fuel switch to the "prime" position to start). I warmed it up and put the fuel switch back to the normal "on" position and went for a test drive. After about a mile, it started to die again....just like it did before. I tried to restart it with no luck. I then put the fuel switch back to the "prime" position and the bike started up. I figure I'd leave the switch on "prime" and go for another test drive. This time, the bike had no trouble and didn't cut out and I went for a 45 minute ride around town.  I'd figure the reason the battery kept draining was cuz I tried to start the motor too many times.

So my questions....

1. why is my bike running good on "prime" fuel position, but not on the normal "on" position? Note...when I got my bike about a month ago, the previous owner kept it on "prime". But when I was reading my manual a couple weeks ago, the normal position is "on" (pointing straight down), so I figure I'd put it back to "on".

2. Will this do any damage to my bike, leaving it on "prime"?

3. Does my carb need cleaning?

Sorry for such a long read, I thought it would help if I explained everything.

« Last Edit: 01/22/11 at 12:35:34 by logan31907 »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: could it be the stator?
Reply #1 - 01/14/11 at 10:36:21

You need to check your charging system.
But right away, check the connectors on the rectifier.
If they come loose it won't charge.

WWW   IP Logged
LWRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/14/11 at 10:48:39

My manual says to warm the engine then shut it down. Check the continuity between each of the leads coming from the stator. You should have continuity between all of them. I discovered my faulty stator this way.

Another component to check is the "signal generator" aka "pickup coil." Check the resitance between the leads coming from the signal generator; it should be between 200-240 ohms. If the resistance is less or there is no resistance; it is bad.

Two simple and quick tests.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 01/14/11 at 10:50:30

Yes, do as Verslagen suggested first. I had the same problem with the FireLizard once. I was sure my charging system had fried for some reason but when I took the seat off I found that the wires to the rectifier had come unplugged and once I plugged them back in, no more problem.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/16/11 at 07:10:05

You will also want to check each lead on the stator to ground.  If its grounding its bad.  IB insulation breakdown.

IP Logged
logan31907

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: could it be the stator? - i dont think so?....
Reply #5 - 01/19/11 at 11:25:55

OP update bump ^^^

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 01/20/11 at 06:37:43

Logan, either rebuild the petcock, buy a new one for WAY too much money or swap it out with a raptor (straight swap).

http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687/Criteria/5LP-24500-01-00&adv=5&kw...

If you go the raptor route you will need to shut off the fuel every time you turn off the bike...old school, and block off the vac line on the carb.
I went the raptor route...no problems so far...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/20/11 at 07:10:37

Replace your vac line 1st, and it helps to clamp the ends.

What year is the bike?

When I got mine, the vac line was original, I replace it every year or so since.

WWW   IP Logged
logan31907

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/20/11 at 07:38:31

Cool. Thanks for aal the help. The bike is a 01 with 8600 miles. I'm gonna try the vac lines first..........

IP Logged
logan31907

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: RESOLVED! not the stator, its the fuel!
Reply #9 - 01/20/11 at 10:56:34

^Bump^

OP resolved update!   Grin  Cool

IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #10 - 01/20/11 at 12:14:54

That happened to me too.  Bike ran great when I got it, filled it up with 87 and kaput.  It stalled and would not run unless the choke was all the way on.  I freaked, it was the first time I'd gone out alone AND I was 10 to 15 miles from my house.  Crap!  Rode home with the choke on and throttle wide open!  Tore the engine apart to see what happened and come to find out... it was the gas.  Drained it, put 93 in and it ran perfect!  My bike will NOT run on anything less than 91, too much ethanol in it.  Lesson learned!

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #11 - 01/20/11 at 14:33:52

hmm that's weird I tried running 93 octane in my bike a few times, it seemed to backfire alittle more and have every so slightly less power, with 87 it runs better for me.  Must be the tuning or the timing on your bikes.  Or they could be crudded up in the combustion chamber, maybe try running some seafoam in there to get rid of carbon deposits.  I know putting higher octane gas in an old car with detonation problems can sometimes fix the problem.  Going full throttle every once in a while is also good to help prevent carbon deposits.. It lets in more oxygen and increases combustion temperature to the point that the carbon can burn off.  I gotta go full throttle after a stop light at least once a trip to keep the bike in good condition of course.. Smiley

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #12 - 01/20/11 at 14:44:44

I tore my carb apart last summer and completely cleaned the whole thing, got the slide movin perfect and cleaned the jets.  Everything was spottles!  Still won't run 87.  91s not that much more expensive and the bike seems to enjoy it so.... We'll see what happens with the new air filter, exhaust and being rejetted, mabey I'll retry 87 after all that.

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #13 - 01/20/11 at 14:55:14

Not the carb the cylinder.  Carbon buildup is a common cause of detonation and needing to run higher octane fuels.  If you take the cylinderhead off and it's all black and cruddy that's carbon buildup and if bad enough it can increase your compression ratio making running lower octane gas more difficult.  Running on higher octane gas probably won't hurt your engine or anything, but the fact that it won't run on the gas it was designed for means there is probably something wrong.

To seafoam it out get a bottle of seafoam start your engine and warm it up, unplug a vacuum line and suck up 1/4 of the bottle until the engine stalls out.  turn off the engine and let it sit for a few hours.. then restart and run until the smoke stops coming out of your tailpipe.  You can put it in your gas too, but that takes forever(few hundred miles) and makes your engine run less efficiently.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #14 - 01/20/11 at 17:24:28

I'll have to try that when I get the bike put all back together (and when it gets warmer out).  Thanks for the advice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:49:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › WTF?!?!?! NOT RESOLVED.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.