Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
speedometer ratio? (Read 134 times)
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

speedometer ratio?
01/14/11 at 05:27:15

I was browsing through the drag catalog at work for a speedo and realized that I need to know if the savage has a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio.  Anyone know this?  I'm going to have to put a speedo on the bike at some point since My foreman was behind me and informed me I was doing 70 in a 30 the other day.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: speedometer ratio?
Reply #1 - 01/14/11 at 07:53:19

I put whiteout marks on the gears in question and rotated the output shaft (runs the front sprocket and on its other end it runs the little conical pinion gear that turns the speedo shaft) and counted 8 revolutions before the marks mated up perfectly again.

The pinion on the output shaft has 7 teeth, the driven gear on the speedo shaft has 8 teeth.

This is 0.125 shy of a 1:1 ratio or a 1 to 0.875 gear ratio   (output shaft pinion being smaller than the speedo gear, meaning speedo shaft actually turns a little slower than the front sprocket shaft turns)

Now that you know that the gearing thing doesn't work out quite the way you had planned, simply ask the accessory handlebar speedo guys which ratio they bought and got to work "correctly" for them.

Smiley                What makes you think these handlebar speedos are ever right?

And for further knowledge, those of us who have played with setting up digital speedos to the averaged distance covered off of many many consectutive interstate mile markers (averaging out all the distance errors to get a good true rolling land distance) will tell you a Suzuki stock speedo set up isn't perfectly accurate either.

On top of that, we all use different size rear tires (generally bigger) which further stirs the soup.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: speedometer ratio?
Reply #2 - 01/14/11 at 09:45:05

Hurray for GPS.

Or for bicycle-style speedos where you just need to know the diameter of your front tire.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:24:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › speedometer ratio?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.