Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question about cam timing (Read 205 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Question about cam timing
01/11/11 at 07:19:35

Not sure if that is the correct term but whatever...
I'm putting my engine back together after helicoiling some bad head cover threads in the cylinder.
I've been following clymers and it tells me to align the "T" on the flywheel with the notch on the engine case before installing the cam. when I do that and orient the cam lobes down like clymer says then the alignment marks on the cam are not parallel with the top of the head. Does that make sense???
In summary, with the flywheel "T" lined up to the crankcase indicator then the cam marks are at about 8 and 2 O'clock...that doesn't seem right... Huh

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Question about cam timing
Reply #1 - 01/11/11 at 08:22:05

sure isn't correct so far as I can tell from you post -

this post has a some pretty good pictures :

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122/15

and remember the clymers will have you turn the engine the wrong direction

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/11/11 at 08:24:57

With the piston at TDC, the marks on the cam should be horizontal.

Notice the right side is slightly higher than the left, this is normal for a used chain.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 01/11/11 at 08:48:38

Yep, I know it's supposed to go the same direction as the wheels.

The weird thing is that if I set the lobes evenly down then one or the other of my reference points end up off and it looks like that's the only way it will go.
I haven't checked to see if the mark on the flywheel lines up with the stator cover reference point...just the flywheel "T" mark and case marks...
I'm confused...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 01/11/11 at 08:50:41

Thanks reel and versy but my marks are definately off more than that! Of course I've not installed the tensioner...will that pull it down some?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 01/11/11 at 09:51:12

it will seat the cam if it is not already - but it should be anyway - can you post a picture ?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 01/11/11 at 09:54:13

I'll snap a couple tonight and post them tomorrow. Just don't want to button things up until I'm sure...
thx

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 01/11/11 at 16:57:07

First pic showing timing mark aligned to crankcase

second pic shows cam marks out of alignment with cylinder head

Seems like it might be possible to rotate the cam one tooth clockwise and reinstall the sprocket but then the lobes wouldn't be pointing straight down??? Huh

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/11/11 at 16:59:36

don't worry about the lobes, do the marks.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 01/11/11 at 17:03:41

Sigh...so I'm good to go if I pull the sprocket again, jump a tooth or 2 and align the marks?
Thanks guys!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/11/11 at 17:10:44

yeah, go for it.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 01/11/11 at 17:16:01

Thanks!
I'll do that, finish up on the head cover, drop it in the frame and (as you may or may not recall) try to get a sparky out of this thing!!! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 01/13/11 at 09:14:32

Bubba,

I always set my TDC for a cam alignment by using the circular window in the rotor cover.  I aways back checked with a straw going down the spark plug hole to verify it was at true TDC, just to be paranoid.

You are checking to internal features inside the cover, which although it may be all by the book, it is DIFFERENT from how I did it.

Put your rotor cover back on and recheck cam alignment through the little circular window before bolting everything back together again just to be sure you really have a good alignment off that internal feature you have been using.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 01/13/11 at 10:12:01

Thanks O.F. that was one of the first things I did. Everything now lines up, the cover notch, flywheel and cam marks to the head now that the chain has been set a couple teeth over everything lines up nice.

I do have one question tho'...
After I get it all back together and oil put in it, is it okay to leave it out of the frame, pull the plug and jump start the starter motor to see if it spins up? Originally, when I bought it, I think the starter gears were binding against the rotor cover. The PO had put one of the washers on the starter gear instead of the thrust gear...I think versy was the one that told me to look at that as the problem.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 01/13/11 at 10:20:16

If you are talking about running it out of the frame, that's fine just tie it down so it doesn't torque off the table or anything -- and be careful about any throttle hook up so that you don't accidentally over speed your engine and blow it up.  

Be able to kill the engine by disconnecting something electrical real quick like.

Before you tie it down, temporarily plug the oil vent tube up at the top of the head,  put the right amount of oil in it and turn the engine completely upside down and hold it there for a few minutes balanced on the top of the head -- let the mass of oil totally invade the head area to lubricate all rocker pins, valve stems, spring seats etc. etc.   When you quickly turn it back upright your cam oil pool will remain nice and full too.  

You will KNOW you got everything oiled up good if you do this.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:17:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about cam timing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.