Send Topic Print
Rear turn signal (Read 66 times)
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Rear turn signal
01/09/11 at 13:18:52

I will be removing and installing a new left rear turn signal on my 05.  I am unable to look under the fender but able to feel under there and it feels like there is no nut holding it..  I ask this because I am still confined to a walker due to my accident.  I would not mind having a few suggestions on this.......It looks like I will have to jack it up or disconnect the lower bolts on the shocks to reach at least one nut.  It will be about 8 weeks before I can do anything.......Thanks!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Rear turn signal
Reply #1 - 01/09/11 at 13:32:13

There's a large phillips screw on the side of the stalk that faces toward the front of the bike. Remove it and the light slides off the stub. However, the wires plug in under the fender. You'll need to feel around under there, following the wire from where it goes through the fender. You must be careful unplugging the connector so you don't pull the wire and leave the connector behind.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 01/09/11 at 14:22:41

I don't know if the routing has changed since my '02, but..
The wires are routed along the back side of the side rails (aka pillion handle), they never go under the fender.  The connectors are under the front seat.  The turn signal bolts to the side rail, not the fender.
IF you want to change out the entire turn signal, you just about have to pull the side rail.  If you have a sissy bar, you have to pull both rails at the same time.
To pull side rails, it helps a bunch if you jack it up and pull the shocks to lower the rear wheel.  OR find someone with real small hands who doesn't mind scraping the up!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/09/11 at 14:52:34

YG is correct.

2 nut in the front of the siderail and 1 bolt from the backside about the middle.  Then the siderail will come off if you don't have the sissy bar.

Then disconnect the wires under the seat, note what colors are connected to what.  Then pull the wires out.  They may be pinched a little between the frame and fender.  The wires are clipped to the back side of the rail.

WWW   IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #4 - 01/09/11 at 15:38:05

Looking at the replacement it appears the light is held in place with the rubber grommet.....I will be taking the rail off since the stem broke into.....Should be a down hill job....... after busting a few knuckles getting the rail loose to see the layout. Smiley.  This was the only item destroyed in the wreck.  

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:27:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear turn signal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.