Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brake light not working but its not that simple... (Read 194 times)
Reesetricted
YaBB Newbies

The fool looks @ the
finger that points @
the sky

Houston
Brake light not working but its not that simple...
01/08/11 at 02:21:46

This is either a stupid question or I have done something stupid.  Im prepared to be stupid.  Here goes...

My bike is on a(DIY) jack without wheels(and all that implies) and without the seat.  It has not blinkers as it is a bobber.  i installed LEDs today,,= while its undergoing its present upgrades, and decided to rewire the brake light.  The brake light wiring was kinda sloppy and I wanted to run it through the swingarm and zip tie it stealth-like.  I havent even put a key in the bike for the past couple weeks as I have been working on it.  I turned it on to make sure I had wired the light properly and it didnt come on.... NOT SO FAST.... I jiggled the bulb around (I had removed the cover of my trailer style light to clean it, and they is abundant bulb grease in the socket since it is almost on the ground and those things arent quite water tight.) and it came on.  I pressed the rear brake (the cable of which is not connected to anything) and it remained illuminated on "low", as in, the brake indicator didnt come on.  I pressed the front brake, same thing.  I was concerned that I had switched the wires (though I was pretty sure i hadnt) during my heat shink/zip tie party, so i switched the wires.  This time it was bright! Bright like I was depressing the brake.... but i wasnt.  Again I pressed the brakes and again the light was static.  Sooo... My question is this- Have I accidentally unplugged or fried or otherwise broken the brake switch or is there some ground that is not present to make the darn thing work properly?  Oh, and where might I locate that switch if I happen to need to replace it?  Thanks in advance.

There is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Brake light not working but its not that simpl
Reply #1 - 01/08/11 at 07:04:21

Make sure you have a good ground going to the socket. The lights should have a seperate ground wire, it is not like an car light where the socket is always the ground.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/08/11 at 08:44:23

The light came on, so you got ground.
Ed's right, don't depend on the frame for ground.
check the hot side of the switches to make sure you got heat.

WWW   IP Logged
Reesetricted
YaBB Newbies

The fool looks @ the
finger that points @
the sky

Houston
Reply #3 - 01/08/11 at 13:39:23

Where are the switches located? Are there 2? 1 front and 1 rear? It would be especially strange it they both went out or lost ground at once.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 01/08/11 at 15:11:24

Here's a test: put the incandescent bulbs back in and see if you still have the problem.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Reesetricted
YaBB Newbies

The fool looks @ the
finger that points @
the sky

Houston
Reply #5 - 01/08/11 at 18:55:32

Oh sorry I wasn't clear enough... The brake light bulb in question IS incandescent. The LEDs I installed are under the rear fender and gas tank aimed down on the engine and towards the front wheel(or where it should be). I didn't remove the tank just placed them on the rim and poked the wires through the cavity with a piece of bamboo.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 01/09/11 at 07:01:40

As I remember, if the rear brake is disconnected, the pedal can be pressed way beyond its stoplite switch limits, inturn over stretching and runining the spring that actuates the switch, so then your switch may not be activating properly. Keep in mind, sometimes if you adjust your rear brake, the stop lite will quit working, untill you go back and adjust the switch to compensate for the brake adjustment.

I would suggest you find the switch, and see whats going on, and how it operates before fighting the wiring. You need a 12v test lite too.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 01/09/11 at 08:55:31

the front sw is at the brake master cyl,i can hear mine click
rear is above the lever,
they work independent of each other

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Reesetricted
YaBB Newbies

The fool looks @ the
finger that points @
the sky

Houston
Reply #8 - 01/09/11 at 12:38:52

thanks for the info. I actually tried to post last night but I guess it didnt click 'post'.  I traced the rear brake back to the switch but still couldnt locate the front(I didnt take off the tank).  I can hear the front brake click when I engage it as well. Im baffled.  I think Ill wait to put the bike back together and see if it doesnt miraculously start working... I mean what are the chances that both switches go out at once...?  

This is something that has occurred to me repeatedly(which is why I included it in the description).... Since the bike is not actually touching the ground, is it grounded?

IP Logged
Reesetricted
YaBB Newbies

The fool looks @ the
finger that points @
the sky

Houston
Reply #9 - 01/09/11 at 12:49:46

Ill see it I can play with the rear switch as well, couldnt hurt(too much).  

As a side note, the LEDs work great.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 01/09/11 at 13:10:11

The tail light assembly needs to grounded back to the chassis ground. It is possible for the low current flow tail light filament to use the stop filament for a ground path and the tail light filament to serve as a resister preventing the stop light filament from working. GM did that on the front turn lights of their 88-98 PU trucks and we had alternatively flashing turn signals on them. Use a jumper and test to make sure the light assembly is grounded. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Reesetricted
YaBB Newbies

The fool looks @ the
finger that points @
the sky

Houston
Reply #11 - 01/09/11 at 14:30:53

Now that is genius problem solving.  Ill bet(and hope) thats the case.  Ill check it out.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 01/10/11 at 16:28:46

Yup, like I said make sure the ground wire is grounded properly. I had the same problem when I installed aftermarket rear lights.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Reesetricted
YaBB Newbies

The fool looks @ the
finger that points @
the sky

Houston
Reply #13 - 01/11/11 at 00:05:15

When that solved it i was going to give you props Ed.  Obviously I didnt think it was the ground as it was lighting up. Well.... it wasnt.  After I ran a ground straight to the battery and to exposed frame and there was no change I opened it up again to see if the bolts I was grounding were actually connected to the bulb as I thought they were.  I took out the bulb and wiped it and the socket clean of grease.  When I went to put it back in I notced it didnt want to go... I looked at the spikes on the side of the bulb and matched them up with the slots (rather than just sticking it in and rotating it until it fell into place).  It still wouldnt seat.  I was sure I was doing it right (and was pretty frustrated) so I pushed the bulb hard enough to where I was afraid of it breaking in my fingers. It popped into place and I rotated it.  Evidently 1 side of the seat was stuck and wouldnt depress to accept bulb.  I was pretty much blindly inserting the bulb expecting it to work as it should.  As it turns out the bulb was only seating one of its contacts at a time and thus the mystery is solved.  

Basically I cant screw in a light bulb without the help of 6 people.  FML and God help us all.

I didnt take it back out to see if I broke the socket, it works and thats all I care about for now.

My friend called today and said that they ran out of tan ostrich leather and that they are doing it in pink.  He could have made it a bit more believable.  Who the hell would dye ostrich pink?  Thing are coming together!!! Estimated completion, 2 weeks from today (monday).  Then no more taking my bike apart for any reason except it being broken.  Im hoping for engine failure around Dec of next year.  My buddy has all manner of bore and planing gear, even a flow table, that I think would work out nicely with the recommended power adders.... or i might pickup a scrap heap and strip it.  I like the idea of a thumper beating my 4 cyclindered friends, who presently envy my bike but make fun of its inadequacies.  All the guys that race love sitting on it and fantasizing about tracking it or motard or whatever... Its just so darn light... Stripped with a peanut tank, street fighter mask... hehe.  Im off to craigslist Smiley

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #14 - 01/11/11 at 09:06:56

Same thing happened to me with turn signal bulbs, why are those sockets so darn hard to put bulbs in? I broke one bulb while taking it off.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:30:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake light not working but its not that simple...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.