Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cush Drive / Change in wheels from 05-06? (Read 103 times)
Reesetricted
YaBB Newbies

The fool looks @ the
finger that points @
the sky

Houston
Cush Drive / Change in wheels from 05-06?
01/06/11 at 09:23:38

Ive removed my wheels for powdercoating and thus will have to remove all the guts.  I figure I might as well replace everything and save myself the hassle later.  The bearings are fine but for $30, i might as when save myself $30 worth of PITA later...especailly since its a hardtail.  Im upgrading the brakes, replacing the tubes and mounting my WWW s all at the same time. The cush drive dampers show minor signs of wear so id def like to replace them.  I found some aftermarket dampers (not rubber) online ( they are all over the internet, but here is a link to 1 site http://www.cincinnatisuperbikes.com/suzukicushdrive.html ) but they say they are for the " LS650 86-05" or the "Savage 86-05" regardless of where I look.  Is there a change in the wheel from 05 - 06? It so happens that my bike is an 06 Sad  As I slight annoyance, the aftermarket dampers are $50 (universally) and the quote I got from the dealer was like $86 for the OEM.  $86 for little rubber chunks!?! I was expecting $25-$30.  Does anybody know about the 05-06 differences and/or a place online to buy cheap OEM replacement parts?~Josh

There is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cush Drive / Change in wheels from 05-06?
Reply #1 - 01/06/11 at 09:43:09

I shimmed my cush with bits of innertube. Its Gonna show some wear,, never seen any that became a problem unless they got so old they got so hard they stopped being Cushy. & I dont think Ive seen that happen on this bike, anyone remember it being a problem that had to be addressed?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Reesetricted
YaBB Newbies

The fool looks @ the
finger that points @
the sky

Houston
Reply #2 - 01/06/11 at 09:47:28

How do I remove them without damaging them? Just push from the nipple side?  Do you have any idea about the 05-06 differences?

IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #3 - 01/06/11 at 10:06:34

according to the diagrams on RonAyers.com '05 - '09 are the same $7.09 each. I didnt look at pre '05 or before diagrams. Part# 64651-31001

Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 01/06/11 at 10:19:43

I don't think Suzuki has changed anything mechanical over the life of the bike. It's a low cost bike, so they wouldn't change anything if they didn't need to. Change external things (handlebars, signals, badges, chrome fender things, etc.) in order took lure customers, but the rest? Not likely.

The sellers on eBay often list a part for something like 86-05 because they have old inventory from '05.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Reesetricted
YaBB Newbies

The fool looks @ the
finger that points @
the sky

Houston
Reply #5 - 01/06/11 at 22:22:12

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the info!  The rubber dampers for the cush drive are really easy to get out without much damage.  Simply wedge a flat head under the apex of the V, to one side or the other of the nipple and pry it out.  Just in case someone else needs the info.  Now ive just gotta get a bearing puller and figure out how to remove the tires.  I tried the front but no luck at all. I even tried to cut the tire in half to no avail.  The lips seems to be steel or some such. Ive been debating on whether to change the seat to brown leather for contrast... while I was disassembling and cleaning today my friend called me and said to bring my seat over and hed have his upolsterer do it anyway i wanted if i gave him a pic.  His friend is having the interior of his caddi done in tan ostrich. I told him to call immediately, save the scraps and to do my seat in ostrich.  i finished up with the bike and took him the seat. My bum gets free ostrich! Im kinda stoked.  I also bought some white LEDs just in case... since the bike is apart (again) anyway.  Might as well see how it looks.  i decided against it originally, and Im still undecided.... so I figure I can hook them up, see how I like them and DEFINITELY install a switch.  I know I wont like them all the time.  I mean its a bobber for god sake.  Its supposed to look rugged and mean, no showy and ostentatious... That being said, white was the only color I will even consider. We'll see.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 01/07/11 at 04:57:17

For what it's worth, the nipples on the rubber cush pieces aren't really necessary. They're just a bit of a convenience that keeps them from falling out when the wheel is disassembled. And they might make assembly at the factory easier. Otherwise, they're neatly sandwiched between the hub and sprocket carrier.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:31:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cush Drive / Change in wheels from 05-06?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.