Anyone use Lucasoil? (Read 418 times)
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Re: Anyone use Lucasoil?
Reply #30 - 03/28/12 at 03:11:27

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/27/12 at 21:29:43:

So, how much are you going to put in with the standard Lucas oil to get exactly what recommended PPM level?

I notice they freely admit you have to add ounces of this booster stuff just to get up to the ZDDP level that is native to the Rotella products ....

Not sure they really admitted to anything - they sent me a file that listed zinc levels for every product they make...I just didn't want to paste the entire document here. I only posted the 2 products I had mentioned.

Quote:
this kinda proves out what the VOAs upthread were saying.

The VOAs posted look a bit more like just regular Lucas automotive oils with their claimed 860 ppm - The "Race Only" oils varied between 2,616 - 6,795ppm.

Quote:
Grin    Grin    Grin

So, how much did your whole Lucas oil change cost you for the Lucas oil and the required Lucas booster?

Never said I did a Lucas oil change.  Huh
Planned on waiting till I had 1,000 miles on the engine before I switched to a synthetic oil - right now she reads a total of 2.6 miles. I've got a ways to go.

But I should know more about the additive package when I do my own VOA, instead of just what a Lucas rep says. Mailed the sample off yesterday.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 03/28/12 at 10:03:52

Just remember, all "race only" oils lack proper detergent and suspension packages as they are intended to be dumped out after the race -- they certainly don't have any long term "mileage" packages because they don't need them.

Notice that all race oils are heavy on ZDDP -- them racers know what they need to keep that engine running the entire race.

So, you are going to VOA your Lucas car oil before using it in your bike.  If I was gonna boost it with the Lucas ZDDP booster, I would have mixed up the 3 quarts of mix and VOA'd what I actually planned to use in the bike.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Re: Please don't use Lucasoil?
Reply #32 - 04/16/12 at 14:46:16

Test results look pretty limited (so does the additive package) but the analysis cost was cheap.

Oil Analysis Report

Test Type: New oil

Oil Brand: LUCAS
Oil Type: Motorcycle
Oil Grade: 20W50

Contaminates (ppm)
    Silicon (Si)              16
    Sodium (Na)            49

Additives (ppm)
    Magnesium (Mg)     9
    Calcium (Ca)           1617
    Barium (Ba)            <1
    Phosphorus (P)        749
    Zinc (Zn)                 848
    Molybdenum (Mo)   <1
    Boron (B)                 <5

Physical Tests
    Viscosity (40C)         133.3
    Viscosity (100C)       19.2

Physical / Chemical (mgKOH/g)   6.2

....Looks like this confirms what I was already told, and shown.  Embarrassed And that I'll use Amsoil, when I decide to start using a synthetic.

IP Logged
baker87

ridin since 06

venus tx
Reply #33 - 04/16/12 at 16:44:03

So i think the question is do high zinc ratings cause clutch slippage or is it some other mineral (contaminate)??? i used lucas 10w40 and worked great for other bikes but the savage.... just 6000 miles and the rockerarms gave away... so how do we stop this?

ride hard/live hard
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 04/16/12 at 20:37:25

baker87 wrote on 04/16/12 at 16:44:03:
So i think the question is do high zinc ratings cause clutch slippage or is it some other mineral (contaminate)??? i used lucas 10w40 and worked great for other bikes but the savage.... just 6000 miles and the rockerarms gave away... so how do we stop this?

Oh my goodness ......   I see the thin yellow mists of mustard gas rolling over the churned earth and barbed wire of no-man's land again.

Somebody get that young "got it backards" man out of the middle of that mine field before he starts something up again.   ZDDP does not cause slippage, friction modifiers cause slippage.  ZDDP is the good stuff what prevents your top end from turning itself into shrapnel like yours just did.  

Just leave the durn stupid barb-wire wrapped horse out there, he's dead meat from the mustard gas anyway.  Let's try to save the motorcycles !!!

Cheesy

So, Baker, you ate your upper end all up huh?   Using good ol' Lucas 10w40?   What pieces will you have to replace and how much is it going to cost just to buy all the parts?   How did you measure the wear and damage to your aluminum cam shaft bearings again?

Purty please, give us all the juicy details so Buster here can say "Heck fire, they done told me so but I jest didn't want to listen"

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 04/16/12 at 20:44:24

Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates (often referred to as ZDDP) are a family of coordination compounds invented by Castrol that feature zinc bound to the anion of dithiophosphoric acid. These uncharged compounds are not salts. They are soluble in nonpolar solvents, and the longer chain derivatives easily dissolve in mineral and synthetic oils used as lubricants. They come under CAS number [68649-42-3]. In aftermarket oil additives, the percentage of ZDDP ranges approximately between 2-15%.[1]

The alkyl groups can be branched and linear alkanes between 1-14 carbons length, 2-butyl, pentyl, hexyl, 1,3-dimethylbutyl, heptyl, octyl, isooctyl (2-ethylhexyl), 6-methylheptyl, 1-methylpropyl, dodecylphenyl, and others.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 04/16/12 at 21:47:31

What can you do about it?

Use Rotella oil products if you don't want to buy $9 a quart specialty motorcycle oil.

White jug Rotella triple protection 15w40 from Walmart is the cheapest "good solution" to the problem that we have found.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 04/16/12 at 22:56:08

Im adding Lucas oil stabilizer to the backhoe,, anyone got any cautionary tales I should know about?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #38 - 04/16/12 at 23:07:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/16/12 at 22:56:08:
Im adding Lucas oil stabilizer to the backhoe,, anyone got any cautionary tales I should know about?

Feet behind the hoe,... at all times... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #39 - 04/17/12 at 03:04:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/16/12 at 20:37:25:
Oh my goodness ......   I see the thin yellow mists of mustard gas rolling over the churned earth and barbed wire of no-man's land again.

<snip>

Just leave the durn stupid barb-wire wrapped horse out there, he's dead meat from the mustard gas anyway.  Let's try to save the motorcycles !!!

I came across a funny posting a couple of months ago while I was Google searching the S40 - wanted to know more about the belt drive. After reading about the horse...I started to have "dragon turd" flashbacks.  Grin

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1315252488/13#13

In the future I'll try not to doubt your infinite wisdom ever again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:23:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone use Lucasoil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.