T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Downized.....
01/05/11 at 06:36:25

Well,  It been a busy few weeks with Dec birthdays, and the Holidays, but I have some time now so I get to come on the forums more.

On Dec 3rd I was downsized from my job.  I was a Computer Chip new project planner/expediter.  

I was actually told on Jul 22nd that it would be Sept 10th.  But then the guy they wanted to take over the work, started training and said NO-WAY he wanted to do this much grunt work and transferred out of our group.  So I then got extended to Nov 5th, with the plan being that they would keep a person in Singapore that they originally were laying off.  Well, that person said "Go to H#LL", and left.  Then I got extended to Dec 3rd so that they could hire some new person in Singapore.    

I'm actually relieved.  Not so much that I am in the job market now (it's not that great), but that I'm not working the crazy hours any more.   The company I worked for used subcontractors in the Asia-Pacific area (12 hours time zone difference from here on the east side of PA).  Well, since computer chip new projects are always "hot", I use to get up at 5 am and log in from home to check emails and project status's.  The 12 hour diff made it 5 PM at the sub-con's so I could email real time to them.   I would work for about 2 hours then get ready for work.  Work 9-5 in the office (many times working thru lunch).  Then come home and spend time with the family till about 9:30 PM at which time I would log in again for an hour or so to check emails again.    I also use to check work emails on the weekends and plan vacations around hotels with WiFi.   You almost had to when you were  getting 200+ emails a day.  A week off meant 1400 emails to weed thru when you got back from vacation.  For those that don't know, that takes about 4 weeks to catch up since you're still getting new emails every day.  Long hours for a person that is in the trenches doing grunt work.

The hours did pay off, all my projects were shipped on time or early, and  I got some nice pay raises.    But that made me the high paid guy in the group with the least amount of time in the group.   That pretty much put a target on my back when the cost cutting time rolled around.    Most modern day accountants in the business world don't have time to do risk assessments when cutting costs.

Only complaint I have is that I wish they would have laid me off in Sept while it was still nice riding weather  Wink.  Dec was cold here on the east side of PA and Jan doesn't look much better.  Undecided

Wish me luck in my job Hunt.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Downized.....
Reply #1 - 01/05/11 at 06:56:43

Best of luck to you man!  You will find rewarding work out there.  What do you want to do now?  I mean, the same kind of work or something different?  Is that type of work in demand with other companies?  How long were you with them?  

I wasn't exactly downsized, but I worked for a large company who moved alot of processes to India and part of my work went.  I wasn't immediately in jeopardy of losing my job, but I left before it got to that point.  I saw it coming.  That was over 6 years ago.  The office I worked in has since closed completely (80-100 people cut).  Very sad.  But I keep in occasional touch with my Indian counterpart, who has also since left that company!  

I understand the "business" reasons for outsourcing, but it still doesn't make it "taste" any better, huh.    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 01/05/11 at 07:48:57

Best of luck to you T Mack ... this whole outsourcing labour is a double-edged sword and I fear that here in the Western World we are in serious danger of outsourcing our entire economy ... what I don't understand is how North American coroporations haven't realized that? Maybe I just don't have enough understanding of the innear working of Globalization, I dunno.

In addition to the personal crap I'm dealing with, like you T Mack I am dealing with a job "transition" now as well ... upside is, that here in Nfld. we are currently in a bit of an "economic bubble" that has largely escaped the global down-turn ...

T Mack my friend, you are in my thoughts/prayers and I am sure that with enough perseverance and an open mind you will land right-side-up as far as employment goes ...

All the best buddy ... please keep us posted.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 01/05/11 at 07:54:50

BabyHog, thanks .

What do I want to do??? That's the hard part.   The fun jobs don't pay.

I was with the company for 19 years, but didn't move into the position I had till 5 years ago.   I don't have the business degree they think I should have had.  I have an old 2-year degree in fixing computers (circa the early 90's).  But, I'm extremely mechanically inclined so I did do some time as a production line maintenance tech, then got into an engineering aide position, that lead into Product Info Management & doc control, which then lead to the planning job.  I know SAP & ORACLE but I don't think I want to stay in the supply chain planning world.  

I would really love to win the lottery and never have to work again... just ride every nice day......  Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 01/05/11 at 08:07:06

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/05/11 at 07:54:50:
BabyHog, thanks .

What do I want to do??? That's the hard part.   The fun jobs don't pay.

I was with the company for 19 years, but didn't move into the position I had till 5 years ago.   I don't have the business degree they think I should have had.  I have an old 2-year degree in fixing computers (circa the early 90's).  But, I'm extremely mechanically inclined so I did do some time as a production line maintenance tech, then got into an engineering aide position, that lead into Product Info Management & doc control, which then lead to the planning job.  I know SAP & ORACLE but I don't think I want to stay in the supply chain planning world.  

I would really love to win the lottery and never have to work again... just ride every nice day......  Wink

Amen on the fun jobs don't pay!  haha   Mine's not too awful now, I'm getting paid while sitting here typing this at least...

I have an Associates degree in Computer Science and I work in Accounting!  Go figure.  But that's what I put myself through college doing, and never really got into the computer field.  And my degree is from late 80's, so there was no way I could apply for computer jobs!  Oh, we ran SAP at that past company too!  Loved it... and hated it!   Sounds like you have some viable options.  Just see what shakes out.

I heard 2 people are splitting the Mega Millions, one in Idaho, and one in Wisconsin, maybe?   $223 million cash option, or something crazy like that?  Can you imagine.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 01/05/11 at 12:18:22

I sure can relate. On Dec. 26th I lost my job because the company my security outfit was contracted to decided they didn't need security. After all, they just put in a gate that rarely works properly. So they decided to not renew our contract.

I am now looking for work as well and waiting for my unemployment to kick in.

Selling the FireLizard was supposed to help start my own business, but since the layoff I now had to use the money to pay the bills.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #6 - 01/05/11 at 12:54:34

Got laid off after 22 years in the computer field.....WHAT A BLESSING!!!......Anyway at 51 years of age nobody wants you,,,,,,,got behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler (48 states and Canada) and loved it.  Should have done it 22 years ealier.  Wife and I took SS at 62 and I quit working period.....been retired now for 12 years and loving it.   Good luck on the job hunting.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 01/05/11 at 21:33:18

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 01/05/11 at 12:18:22:
I sure can relate. On Dec. 26th I lost my job because the company my security outfit was contracted to decided they didn't need security. After all, they just put in a gate that rarely works properly. So they decided to not renew our contract.

I am now looking for work as well and waiting for my unemployment to kick in.

Selling the FireLizard was supposed to help start my own business, but since the layoff I now had to use the money to pay the bills.

people are always looking for long haul truckers, You can easily get a small G Loan to help with truck school, Way back when I was doing it
$800 to a thousand a week,no problem. I worked for Schneider national,they had benifits as well, I never liked the job ,but it got me out of debt,and some.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #8 - 01/05/11 at 21:57:52

Best of luck with the job situation, hope you find something you like.  Or at the very least, something you can tolerate! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 06:33:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Downized.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.