Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quiet exhaust (Read 178 times)
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
quiet exhaust
01/04/11 at 16:15:26

So I'm thinking of swapping out my exhaust and I'm wondering. What pipes out there, are quiet, but still sound good?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: quiet exhaust
Reply #1 - 01/04/11 at 16:37:47

In my experience, all replacements will be noisier and lighter. Most tunable is the SuperTrapp for the Savage. Stainless steel, nice and light and can be disced to get the level of noise and performance you want. Not cheap but bolt on.  Next choice would be a HD OE muffler. Do your research here on the site as to what fits easily and what to not mess with. Some will require an adapter pipe made by a muffler shop to adapt the difference in sizes between the head pipe and the muffler inlet and to align the muffler with the brackets. It goes on easier that way and doesn't blast the rear brake arm with hot exhaust. Take-off range from free to about $25. plus whatever you need to make it fit. HD SE and other non sound absorbent filled and or unbaffled will be noise amplifiers.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/04/11 at 23:14:25

I have a supertrapp & its for sale, BUT, If I wanted a nice looking, nice sounding muff, Id go get me a Dyna .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 01/05/11 at 05:21:59

I agree with Justin.  The Harley Dyna stock take-off muffler fits fairly nicely and is close to the original for being quiet.   Just a little deeper tone to it.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #4 - 01/05/11 at 12:36:50

I have an 05........replaced muffler with Dyna I got off e-bay....a pair for $35.........used a Harly clamp and some exhaust sealer a friend of mine used when he built his drag boat engines....easy fit with no mods......PM me your e-mail or phone number and I will let you have the extra....just pay shipping........or I'll give you the part # you need to get...........I think you will like how it sounds.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #5 - 01/05/11 at 14:04:04

Agreed on the Dyna!! just got one on my bike, not much louder but much better sounding!

Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/05/11 at 17:40:07

IDK what a HD muffler clamp costs, but a T-bolt Clamp is sold at the bearing service & supply that looks exactly the same. Call around, may save some $$$.

I saw 3 of them on a counter a few days ago while buying a few bushings & some Kroil. So, I asked the guy what I would have to ask for to get one. He called them T bolt clamps.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:26:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › quiet exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.