How much?....... (Read 188 times)
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
How much?.......
12/29/10 at 14:31:47

My '96 Savage came with evidence of the typical oil weep from the "plug" location. Not sure how much the PO cleaned the head up anticipating a sale but it is wet back in there.
I'm planning a ride tomorrow to do some tuning on the supertrapp and break in a recently reworked seat and need to gauge the amount of seepage.
I'm sure the amount of oil that leaks from this spot varies from one bike to another. What I have not found in my search is if a "gusher" is assured after time or is this usually more of a cosmetic thing that stinks and looks messy.
Pre '02 DR650 engines had a problem with a leaking base gasket which were usually just messy, but some did really open up and soak everything with oil making pulling the jug and replacing with the "new-improved" versions Suzuki came up with necessary.
Certainly, I will rework this before any serious road trips.
What say those who know?

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: How much?.......
Reply #1 - 12/29/10 at 15:53:59

its mostly cosmetic. You arent going ot hurt anything but resale value by keeping it that way as long as you keep your oil up. Its about 400ml from the lower fill line to the top fill line with the bike upright and many here have taken to intentionally overfilling significantly past the viewing window altogether. If you arent sure of your oil consumption Id suggest you either
A - top it off to the top fill line as suggested by suzuki (bike verticle)and check your oil level every 50mi until you get a general idea how much you're going to lose over a given distance and make sure you keep it between the lower and upper fill line.
B - leave it on the sidestand and fill until you just barely see oil in the bottom of the viewing window. After 50 mi top it off until you see oil again just barely in the bottom of the viewing window, or after 50 mi heave it verticle and take a quick standing glance as to whether or not your window is completely black. if you can see the line of oil in the window, top it off.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/29/10 at 17:35:57

Certainly not a major issue to be leaking a little oil.
But certainly nice to have it fixed and not worry about it.

As a minimum it'll take some time, RTV, and an O-ring.
Maybe a new head plug, a couple of sealing washers and a few of the bolts.
If you can stand to have it down for a couple of weeks extra, go to it.
While you're at it, torque the head bolts.

WWW   IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #3 - 12/30/10 at 05:33:29

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the sun will be out some later today and it's off we go.
Ordered some of the bits mentioned and a date will be set for pulling things apart.
Thump on!

IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #4 - 12/30/10 at 13:54:31

Just got back from a 90 mile ride (last of 2010) and found little if any weeping of oil around the head plug. What might have escaped may have gotten cooked off with engine heat and the well back in there was relatively dry. There was no discernible change in oil level in the sight glass.
Still planning to remedy the condition in a few weeks. I want to check the valve clearance and see what is inside there anyway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:24:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How much?.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.