Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
coil and ignitor destroyed (Read 1581 times)
anders brink
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: coil and ignitor distroyed
Reply #15 - 06/28/18 at 13:10:57

Any chance you've saved the images of the circuit board? suzukisavage.nl seem rather dead.

I'm trying to repair a CDI where the drive belt made a mess of the generator and trigger signal cables - and the green signal wire got in contact with the AC cables from the generator. The component connected to the green signal cable has vaporized inside the CDI so I can't tell what component is supposed to be mounted. Probably a 1N4148 diode but can't really tell.

Anyone else with a high-res picture of the circuit board inside the CDI?

fsmidt wrote on 12/29/10 at 10:08:34:
the wires to the 3 pins (mosfett ?) are orange/wite    black/yellow  and black/white.

orange/white is not direct to the mosfett but first an diode after this one 2 other resistance.

these pictures are from 2009 when i had the same problem,broken coil and igniter.

is it possible problems start when you use a batterycharger on battery while you start the engine?
i think both time this nuts happens the battery is/was low on power.
i also left on switch for a longtime.

i also had/have current on both wires of the coil when switch is on.
i don`t know if this was before or after ignitor was melting down.

the bike just ran fine the day before.

is there no spark when current is below 10v? but at 10volt the starterengine is not turning isn`t it?

if ground is not good is it possible to ruine the coil? and when the coil was down the igniter was next?

i know a lot of questions...

i`ve you like i can make picture`s of Ignitor.do you want to duplicate it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: coil and ignitor destroyed
Reply #16 - 11/03/20 at 09:17:34

cornishgonzo wrote on 11/03/20 at 09:10:58:
Hi everyone,

So some great news. I got the bike running!  Grin Grin

https://youtu.be/92iLiky_ejs

In the end I found the problem to be the cheap aftermarket ignition coils that you can buy on eBay. These have a primary coil resistance of 1 to 1.5 ohms and they WILL BURN YOUR TRANSISTOR!!!

I managed to purchase a good condition used OEM suzuki ignition coil on eBay and it has a primary resistance of 4.5 ohms

I also soldered on a new D1071 resistor on the board, I then started the bike and it fired up within 1 second. Brilliant.

As mentioned earlier in the thread,

12v @ 4.5ohms = 2.6 Amps
12v @ 1 ohm = 12 Amps

The rating of the transistor in the black TCI module is 6amps. So it is quite clear to see that an ignition coil with low resistance will damage your transistor.

I hope this thread is able to help someone else out in the future as I know lots of people have trouble with these TCI boxes.

The moral of the story is. Check your primary coil resistance and only use a Suzuki OEM ignition coil!!

Cheers everyone,

Tom

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: coil and ignitor destroyed
Reply #17 - 11/03/20 at 09:20:17

cornishgonzo wrote on 10/30/20 at 13:59:19:
kamelryttarn:

Ive attached a photo of the top and the bottom of the board. Its single sided so quite easy to map out.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 13:16:50

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › coil and ignitor destroyed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.