Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A few old laws, before motorcycles (Read 161 times)
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
A few old laws, before motorcycles
12/27/10 at 15:19:26

I got thinking of some old stuff that we learned in a legal history class that I took.

1.  Why is the document that is used to transfer real estate called a "deed", when that word usually is used to refer to an act someone does, like the Boy Scout who does his good deed for the day?  It's because of the way land was transferred in old England, before the common person could read and write.  The buyer and seller would meet on the subject land, and each would be accompanied by his youngest son, who had to be at least 8 years old.  Then then buyer and seller would each cut a stout switch from a tree on the land, and then beat his respective kid to within an inch of his life.  That way, the kids would remember the day that one father sold the land, and the other bought it.  That was the "deed of transfer".  Pity the poor kid whose father was a real estate developer.

2.  What is the rule of thumb and arms length?  That was the law in old England that said you could discipline your wife with a stick no bigger around than your thumb, nor longer than your arm.  Anything bigger was considered beyond the bounds of normal wifely discipline.

3.  When a woman in old England killed her child, why did they hang the husband?  Because he failed in his duty to control his wife.

No kidding - these were the way the Brits did things back eons ago.

Mick - is that why you had so many wives? <g>.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: A few old laws, before motorcycles
Reply #1 - 12/27/10 at 15:46:42

It's a good thing I didn't have my 6 wives all at once.
number 2 law, was still alive and well for us kids at school,the teacher
(all men) could put you in front of the class for a minor infraction ,like bitting a finger nail,chewing gum,speaking when not spoken to,1 to 6 canings, we are talking about the teacher holding a half inch by 3 foot bamboo cane, he would pull that back until level with his arse and come down full force on your hand ,often drawing blood,if a kid wept as some did, you get another one. and worst of all was a bad offence like the one I got busted for. I carried a air pistol to school,and during a mid-morning break my buddy and I sauntered over to the girls half of the school, I saw my sister in the cooking class with her friend who was my little true love, so I started to shoot at pots and pans that were hangin up, I turned around  to see my  pal standing there with a teacher ,our goose was cooked, the next morning after assembly ,we were marched onto the stage and given a dozen whacks
accross our arses ,in front of the whole school girls and boys.
I never so much as made a wimper,how could I ? my true love was watching ,somewhere out there. I lost my gun too.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - 12/27/10 at 16:00:12

Mick -Cute story.

I never did get whacked in school - I feared my father too much, and knew what I would have gotten at home would have been far worse than any teacher could put out.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 12/27/10 at 16:25:32

There was no whacking in school when I went to school,My boy who is 37 now got ruffed up a little my a  teacher in shop class,May be it was my kids fault I don't know,But the teacher was punished he got a week off with pay.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 12/27/10 at 17:11:29

I had a different answer for #2 "rule of thumb"

- in the old days when the miller (or whoever)  would fill your flour sack ( or whatever) he would hold on to the top of the bag, fill until it reached his thumb-  in other words using the thumb as a ruler.  

seems to fit the current meaning of the term a little better

I have found there are often several possible etymologies for old sayings, etc.  

English common law pretty interesting sometimes -

my favorite is when the pretty young widow got caught in adultery - she would lose title to her late husband's property unless she rode into court on a black ram and recited :

"Here I am,
Riding upon a black ram,
Like a sleeper as I am;
And for my crincum crancum
Have lost my bincum bancum,
And for my tail's game
Have done this worldly shame;
Therefore I pray you, Mr Steward,
Let me have my land again."

Grin

p.s. looks like the site censors change " 'ho " to "sleeper"  Grin Grin

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 12/27/10 at 17:15:25

I went to a catholic school with nuns as teachers and got the crap beat out of me regularly. They were a mean group of women. And they seemed to dislike little boys.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 12/27/10 at 18:55:46

If you read about the actual laws read Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/27/10 at 19:36:49

1.    The buyer and seller would meet on the subject land, and each would be accompanied by his youngest son, who had to be at least 8 years old.  Then then buyer and seller would each cut a stout switch from a tree on the land, and then beat his respective kid to within an inch of his life.  That way, the kids would remember the day that one father sold the land, and the other bought it.  That was the "deed of transfer".  Pity the poor kid whose father was a real estate developer.

I would not be able to really celebrate that 8th B/day with a genuine smile.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 12/28/10 at 00:30:28

Ha! Mick if you had done that sort of thing in this day and age, your face would have been plastered all over the TV and newspaper, probably making national news. Maybe some time in juvenile home for sure.  Earlier this year in Oregon you might remember, they suspended this grade school kid from school just because he brought the little 3 inch plastic rifle from his GI Joe toy. Made all the news.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 12/28/10 at 06:22:16

On my first day of school, in kindergarten, I was talking to my best friend. The teacher told me to be quiet, and I said in innocence "Why? Your not my mother."
I was bent over a chair in the center of a circle of my peers, my pants taken down and given a few whacks on my underwear covered bum with a yard stick. I was branded a trouble-maker, something which followed me till I transferred schools after grade 11 and my school record was misplaced.
Maybe that's why I became a teacher!

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 12/28/10 at 13:31:57

stinger wrote on 12/28/10 at 00:30:28:
Ha! Mick if you had done that sort of thing in this day and age, your face would have been plastered all over the TV and newspaper, probably making national news. Maybe some time in juvenile home for sure.  Earlier this year in Oregon you might remember, they suspended this grade school kid from school just because he brought the little 3 inch plastic rifle from his GI Joe toy. Made all the news.

that's true stinger but that was then,never heard of a school shooting.
Not in England anyway, a few months later my Dad did get my gun back. it was just a little Webley Mk 11 , 450 FPS.
of course I had to make many promises.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #11 - 12/28/10 at 13:39:37

one of my favorite laws that was still in effect when I left England,
was the wayfairers law, if you were traveling from one city to another looking for work,or were going to start a new job, any Inn keeper was obliged to give you a half pint of ale and a small amount of bread and cheese.if you had no money, been robbed or whatever reason,and if he would let you star in the horse stable for the night.
Don't  try to make a habbit of it. Angry

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #12 - 12/28/10 at 13:46:51

Must still be lots of horse stables at inns, right?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #13 - 12/28/10 at 16:34:45

Way back in Junior High School we had a teacher who has a uniquely painful dicipline. You would hold your hand out, palm up, to get wacked with a ruler. He would hold your wrist very tightly to keep your hand in the stricking zone. The actual wacks were not too painful, but when he let go of your wrist, holy moly, the pain would travel up your arm. The old boy commanded a lot of respect and he never administered the punishment unless deserved. 40 years later and the lessons are still remembered!!! Embarrassed

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 12/28/10 at 17:23:04

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 12/28/10 at 13:46:51:
Must still be lots of horse stables at inns, right?

In '82 when I went for a 5 weeks vacation on one of the Inns I stopped at.  My motorcycle was parked in the stables.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 10:04:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › A few old laws, before motorcycles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.