Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
seat belt latch broken (Read 137 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

seat belt latch broken
12/27/10 at 11:59:46

so, in my cage (2002 mazda protege), the driver's seatbelt latch, where the buckle snaps into isn't working, anyone know how to take seats apart???    

hope this doesn't cost too much to fix

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: seat belt latch broken
Reply #1 - 12/27/10 at 12:05:09

I hope it didn't break in the latched position, making you a prisoner in your own car <g>.

Sorry, don't know how to fix it, other than take it to the shop.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 12/27/10 at 12:44:57

This?

http://www.car-stuff.com/2002mazdaprotegeseatbelt.htm

Also found them here:  http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQMazdaQQProtegeQQReplacementQQSeat...

Reviews say "install was easy"... "15 minutes" ...  etc.  Good luck!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/27/10 at 13:08:36

yeah, I've seen that, it doesn't look right to me, looks like just a lap band with a center clip, my seat belt is a shoulder and lap belt that just goes into one clip on the side, like a normal seat belt.  idk. . .  think I'll just take  one from the center back and see if that works. idk

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 12/27/10 at 15:22:37

LostArtist wrote on 12/27/10 at 13:08:36:
yeah, I've seen that, it doesn't look right to me, looks like just a lap band with a center clip, my seat belt is a shoulder and lap belt that just goes into one clip on the side, like a normal seat belt.  idk. . .  think I'll just take  one from the center back and see if that works. idk

I hate the bloody things ,I never wear mine,I have the same kind as you ,same make car ,I pull mine out as far as it will go ,then jamb it so it cant return ,when I get in the car I just throw it accross my chest
and lightly under my right thigh,that holds it in place , I started doing that after getting two tickets in the same day.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - 12/27/10 at 15:33:04

Mick -

Remember Masten Gregory, a sports car race driver in the 1960s?  He refused to wear a selt belt in a race car, saying he didn't want to be trapped in a burning car.

He actually bailed out of two cars before impact when it became apparent that the accident was about to happen.  He lived thru a racing career in a time when many drivers didn't.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 12/27/10 at 15:51:59

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 12/27/10 at 15:33:04:
Mick -

Remember Masten Gregory, a sports car race driver in the 1960s?  He refused to wear a selt belt in a race car, saying he didn't want to be trapped in a burning car.

He actually bailed out of two cars before impact when it became apparent that the accident was about to happen.  He lived thru a racing career in a time when many drivers didn't.

I can believe that,however I am not familiar with that name,was he an American driver only, or international ? it Stirling moss in my day,
And John Sertees, he was both World champion motorcyclist  and formula 1 cars. twice.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 12/27/10 at 15:57:56

Gregory was American, and drove in the days of Moss, Surtees, Graham Hill, Phil Hill, and the other greats of the 1950s and 60s.

I knew about Surtees' championships on bikes and in F1.

I have a client whose name is Paul Goldsmith.  He was NASCAR champion in 1956.  He was the last one to win Daytona both on the beach and on the hard track, both in cars and on motorcycles.

He's a humble man, and if you aren't a race fan , you wouldn't even know of his feats, as he never talks about them.  He is still flying a twin engine airplane in his 80s.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/27/10 at 19:38:14

Call a junkyard. or 12,, whatever it takes,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 12/28/10 at 03:38:07

LostArtist wrote on 12/27/10 at 13:08:36:

It is possible that the latch side of the seat belt has a switch in it that indicates the seat belt is fastened.  Putting one in from the back (if it will fit the mounting hole) will work, but you will need to short the wires on the switch.
Many car dealers will fix seat belts (or at least give you the parts) for free.  It is a federal mandate that they WORK.  Can't hurt to call and ask.. just don't say that it is broken.  Say it FAILED.  Ain't a lie.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/28/10 at 12:40:36

so the piece is $90, the labor would be $250 or so on top of that, they quoted $325 total, I ordered the piece, me and a buddy are going to put it in.  also going to be 7-10 days before the piece arrives anyways, so we are going to tear it apart this weekend and see how it goes together and then when I get the piece we'll put it on, wish it wasn't supposed to rain this week

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/28/10 at 15:59:46

No tellin what ya coulda saved at a junk yard

Sometimes seeing what the part to go in looks like makes taking it apart easier. If you can view the fiche, it mite answer a question or 2 if you have one. Labor looks pretty steep, might not be a real quick/easy task. A book coul;d save you pain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/28/10 at 16:41:03

what the heck is a fiche?????  

yeah the part is pretty pricey but it's on the way and it'll be the right one (i hope) and what's done is done

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 12/29/10 at 05:36:49

micro fiche,, parts house pictures.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 12/29/10 at 06:53:31

Hey Mick, my wife uses a large plastic spring clip to hold the seatbelt strap in full out positiion.  She hates the way the belt attacks her.  When I drive her car, I just unclip the clip and the belt does what it does.  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 05:11:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › seat belt latch broken

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.