Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas from carb entering airfilter (Read 254 times)
itzgage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gas from carb entering airfilter
12/26/10 at 21:22:51

So I went to start my bike an it was leaking gas bad. Took off the air filter cover n took out the air filter n the Box was ful of gas. We thought it was the floater took it off an adjusted it. Turns out that wasn't it. So I believe it is the petcock....any ideas? Also on the petcock it says... Res(reserve), on... An pri.... What is pri? Is it primary? Is there not an off for te gas? Btw it's a 2000 savage ls650.   Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Gas from carb entering airfilter
Reply #1 - 12/26/10 at 22:18:04

First, check the oil. You better smell it, If theres gas in it, change it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/26/10 at 22:48:09

1st the petcock is off whenever the engine is off if the petcock is "on" or "res".  Putting it in "pri" turns it on all the time.
"on" is straight down. "pri" is straight back.

Always try to park your bike pointing uphill.  You much rather have gas in your airbox than your crankcase.  And it helps keep your kickstand locked.

Check your vac line for gas, sooner or later the diaphragm will fail.

Also check your float valve, they say if the rubber tip has an indent it can leak.  But they all get an indent with time.  Mine hasn't leaks yet.

I'd also pull out the float valve seat.  if a hair is caught in there it'll leak no matter what.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 12/27/10 at 05:07:05

PRI is short for prime. It's supposed to be used when your bike has been sitting a long time and the gas has evaporated from the carb float bowl, or after you run out of gas. You can also use it to drain your tank.

PRI bypasses the vacuum function in the petcock and lets gas flow. Otherwise, vacuum from the intake pulls on a diaphragm in the petcock, opening a fuel passage. It's an on-demand type arrangement -- when it works properly. The petcocks in LS650's often have problems with this vacuum system. The solutions are to either replace all the rubber internals of the petcock (which could then go bad again  over time), replace it with a non-vacuum petcock from a Raptor, or install an in-line on-off valve. The latter two solutions require you to always remember to turn them on and off. The bike will "remind" you to turn the manual petcocks on by running out of gas, but if you don't remember to turn them off, then it's the same as a malfunctioning vacuum petcock and the gas keeps flowing when the bike is off. Personally, I prefer a combination of repairing the stock petcock plus adding an in-line valve. That way you get the convenience of the vacuum petcock but have the in-line valve as backup.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/inline_fuel_valves/

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 12/27/10 at 07:04:28

itzgage wrote on 12/26/10 at 21:22:51:
So I went to start my bike an it was leaking gas bad. Took off the air filter cover n took out the air filter n the Box was ful of gas. We thought it was the floater took it off an adjusted it. Turns out that wasn't it. So I believe it is the petcock....any ideas? Also on the petcock it says... Res(reserve), on... An pri.... What is pri? Is it primary? Is there not an off for te gas? Btw it's a 2000 savage ls650.   Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

1st,
you said you thought it was the floater,....meaning "float" or "float valve", but you said it wasn't,.....when in fact it really was !
It doesn't matter if the petcock stayed on by accident, or on purpose, or by defect, there should be no gas getting passed the float valve if it is seating (sealing) properly.

2nd,
I don't know why you would adjust the float ! A float doesn't get out of adjustment all by itself,.....unless you are doing some serious stump jumpin !

3rd,
you are back to getting the float adjusted properly (like it was) then cleaning or replacing the float valve.
If the float valve is sealing properly, the carb will not overflow, meaning fuel will not be running into the air box.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/27/10 at 07:17:40

Routy wrote on 12/27/10 at 07:04:28:
It doesn't matter if the petcock stayed on by accident, or on purpose, or by defect, there should be no gas getting passed the float valve if it is seating (sealing) properly.
If the float valve is sealing properly, the carb will not overflow, meaning fuel will not be running into the air box.

BZZT!... Wrong...

If the petcock vacuum diaphragm is leaking, the carb will leak... (down through the vacuum tap, bypassing the float valve)...(...and it's a very common problem on this bike).

Test your petcock...
Here's how, Wink...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 12/27/10 at 15:47:11

I had forgotten about that dam line !
I stand corrected Shocked
Serowbot wrote on 12/27/10 at 07:17:40:
Routy wrote on 12/27/10 at 07:04:28:

BZZT!... Wrong...

If the petcock vacuum diaphragm is leaking, the carb will leak... (down through the vacuum tap, bypassing the float valve)...(...and it's a very common problem on this bike).

Test your petcock...
Here's how, Wink...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
itzgage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/29/10 at 08:26:59

thanks everyone.im going to go ahead and order the rapptor petcock and i hope that solves the problem. ill keep yall posted on what happens

IP Logged
itzgage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/09/11 at 13:21:20

so i replaced the  petcock with the raptor 660 one and it rode fine for like 2 days oi went outside to check it out an its leaking again. my airbox is full of gas. any suggestions would be great. thanks

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 01/09/11 at 14:12:47

Run some Sea Foam in the gas to clean and lube the carb and petcock.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
itzgage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/09/11 at 14:20:55

ill do that. now with the raptor petcock, seeing how it has no vacuum line whenever i stop do i need to turn the  gas off everytime? if it stays on would that cause the over flow n gas in airbox or could it be the float or float pin?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/09/11 at 23:45:49

As long as the float & valve do their job, youll be fine. Shutting the gas off is much peace of mind.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 01/10/11 at 06:58:39

Refer back to my earlier post,....says it all.

Like said, if everything is working right, you should't need to shut off the petcock, but for now, you had better.
Unlike most, and for this and other reasons, I would much rather (repair if needed) keep the OEM vacuum operated petcock.

On edit..
Be sure to watch for gas in the oil,...check/change

Rich
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #13 - 01/10/11 at 12:50:11

Or with the raptor petcock, easy to maybe leave it ON always, except for long term storage. This way if the diaphragm is leaking you'll find out in your driveway instead of somewhere down the road.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 01/10/11 at 12:52:58

What diaphragm?

WWW   IP Logged